blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Julian Thew: "in the well"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Julian Thew: "in the well"  (Read 87910 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »

It has to be done;

What is your favourite pie filling?

now to think of some poker ones.

this is too easy....rhubarb of course

nice!

OK...Now a hypothetical scenario for you.

Say you are a recreational poker player who would definetly not mind giving being a pro a whack. But you have no bankroll to speak off and reckon you'd want 100k$ before you turn pro.

Say you win 20k$ by winning 2 WSOP ME packages on stars (so you get the cash)

Would you;

A; Play the Main Event with half of your winnings?

B; Play a smaller tourney (1500$ PLO) just for fun, and because you think you have an edge in that game, and go over to Vegas to take advantage of the cash action there during the WSOP? (assume you are a half decent cash player who'd expect to make a profit out of doing that)

C; Use your bankroll management skills and use the 20k to build it up online where you won't have the expenses that going to Vegas would bring with it and maybe just play a GUKPT touney if you wanted to play one.

i'm not sure what your situation is boldie, but i didn't rush into going full time & even when i got the William Hill deal i carried on part time at work for another year.
up until i was sponsored i never had a big bankroll, 15k max i'd say, but the live scene 3 or 4 years ago was very different to how it is now & there wasn't that pressure to qualify for ept's & all the tv crapshoots etc etc.
c) is probably the most sensible choice.
but i'd prob keep the job & take a shot in vegas, book 3 weeks off, cash in the 2nd seat & use half in the cash games, the other half at the ventetian where they run a deepstack festival during the wsop & def. play the wsop main event because the field is so weak & if it's your day you really could have a life changing run.

Unexpected answer and given me something to think about.

Thanks Smiley

Remember one thing though boldie when thinking about his answer.  He can play poker.

Oh yeah..that does kind off bugger things up, no?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 02:47:22 PM »

How did you get into poker?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 02:47:47 PM »

Edit : Kind of related to Acidmouse's post

How much of your life is poker - do you live, eat, sleep, drink it? Or do you treat like a job (do the job, then do other things to relax/for fun).

i'm still really into the whole poker pro lifestyle & wouldn't want to change it at the moment.
i do treat it as a job, the best i've had funnily enough & i reckon i've got the balance just about right & that's probably down to the fact that i have a family life.
i'm not as fanatical as i used to be & outside of festivals, if i'm at home for the week it would just be the case of going down to dtd for a night or two.
that being said, it's rare that i'd play a whole festival week, for me, it's just too much & i wouldn't be feeling fresh & sharp by the time the main event rolled around.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »

I believe you have used some of the training sites resources.

What sites do you use and what benefits have they given to your game?

Thanks in advance 

i've only used cardrunners & it really was a revelation - the commentary really gets you thinking avbbout your game & i can honestly say that 8 years in, i finally got to understand the importance of position.
right, afraid the housework beckons, i'll be back on in the morning
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »

Did you, at any point this weekend, steal my big blind with filth?  police

Also, do you play much of any of the non-Hold'em games?

mmm, this shouldn't take long,
memory is hazy but, most likely, yes
&
no
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »

Would you ever consider cosmetic surgery to improve your looks?

dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »

FFS only five questions 

If you could be another poker player for the day, who would you be and why? and if you could keep one of their poker skills/qualities, what would it be and why?

How big of an edge do you feel you have in GUKPT/EPT events and despite being a sponsored playing and having a bigger sample size than most, does it worry you that it'll take a lot of years and a lot of tournaments to get a big enough sample size to reflect any edge you may have?

Can you reccomend me a good bottle of red or two <£10?

Be honest there are too many big buy-in poker tournaments these days aren't there, which are causing dwindling attendances at the non festival ones. And what do you think of the EPTs decision to raise the buy-in to their events?

Players swop a lot of %s in tournaments, have you ever a) taken down a nice payday through this or b) missed out on a big payday through say missing an event where a regular swapper went deep?

Thanks for taking the time to do this Julian.

jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »

Thats like 10 questions with 5 question marks dude.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »

Julian thanks for doing this,

I understand you hired a poker coach last year, who was it and how did he/she help your game the most?

Can you tell us some more about how watching CR vids has helped your game. Do you watch tournament or cash vids, which vids helped you the most etc?

Apart from the importance of position can you tell us about any other lightbulb moments you have had in the past year or so?

Why don't you or any other famous players post strat on the PHA forum?

Who is the better tournament player iyo, Roland de Wolfe or Barny Boatman?
LuckyLloyd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »

Hey Julian,

Hard luck at the weekend. Kind of an awkward spot on the final hand.

- Regarding the weekend, what was your ultimate opinion on the 50k starting stack / all the levels / 1hr clock structure? Do you feel that your edge is greater with a deeper structure or does the length of time that they take make them a fundamentally unprofitable excercise for a pro player? Would you say that you played the event because you believed it to be plus EV or because it would be an enjoyable experience?

- How did you feel the standard of play matched up to the EPT circuit or the GUKPT environment? Are there fundamental differences in the play of "random Irishman" that makes them particularly difficult / easy to play against?

- Can you ever forsee yourself returning to your pre - poker profession fulltime? Or would the prospect of full time employment scare you at this point?

- I am continously surprised at the quality of play in 1k+ buyin events. It amazes me when clueless players can justify the expense in terms of money and time depsite the fact that they are massively out of their depth and would require a bundle of luck to cash deep - particularly with the deep structures standard in Ireland. On top of this, you do see lads doing their balls playing live cash on weekly basis in Dublin cardrooms. Does the hustler / newbie shark / fish element of the game ever get to you? Would you ever be inclined to tell someone in a cashgame to take their hand out of their wallet and walk away?

- Do you drink much / ever? Would you ever play with drink on?

- In your opinion, following on from UIGEA (which looks less likely to be repealed) and the recent anti internet gaming laws passed in Germany can you forsee a bright future from the game? Do you ever feel fortunate to have gotten in before the landslide?

I know there are a lot of question marks, but that is roughly five!

As an aside, I can say that I have found you to be very friendly and unassuming on the couple of occassions we have met. The dealers and staff in Drogheda were very happy to have you at their tables / in their club and no - one had a bad thing to say about your play and table behaviour. Class act imo. Best of luck in the future and thank you for doing this.

"All glory comes from daring to begin" - Eugene F. Ware.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »

Do you ever bet for information?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
alexross
nhggfu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

lol @ people asking rhetorical Questions.
blondepokers well, where 2+2 =5 Cheesy

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »

win something soon Alex, and we can all ask you some rhetorical questions Wink

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »

Julian. When you first started playing what was your motivation? Were you playing just for fun or were you definitely on a journey with a specific destination in mind? If you did have specific goals how did you set about achieving them? And did you "know" something was going to happen for you in poker?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Scott_Kid_poker

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

win something soon Alex, and we can all ask you some rhetorical questions Wink

You're the stupidest person alive.  2+2= 4.     haha cant believe you got it wrong....What a dumb human you are sir Tongue

Scott_Kid_Poker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: