blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  Paddypower.com Irish Open : Day 1b - At a glance
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paddypower.com Irish Open : Day 1b - At a glance  (Read 15619 times)
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »

Hello people, welcome back to the lavish Citywest Hotel as we eagerly await the start of Day 1b of the Irish Open.

Yesterday, the playing arena was replete with chatter, cries, fist-pumps, garish hoodies, outdraws, cold decks, chip tricks, mingling press...in short all the exciting paraphernalia accompanying an exciting poker tournament. Heck, yoda even made an appearance although he was a tad miffed when Skywalker's gutshot busted his set.

Some of the big names of poker did make it through the day however. Roland de Wolfe, both generations of the Brunson family, Pascal Perrault and the controversial but uber-talented Sorel Mizzi amongst others all made the cut for Day 2.

Today a new tranche of players will be in attendance hoping to join those guys. The exact figure is unknown to us as yet, but it will be a suprise if the final count doesn't exceed yesterday's 316 combatants. It will be a busy day for myself, Ms Dana and Senor Floppy as we run around like notepad holding versions of Speedy Gonzales trying to keep up with the frenetic action. Arriba! Arriba!

Feel free to fire requests at us for updates and photos of your favourite players and we will work our little cotton socks off to bring you as much news as possible on these guys.

Play commences at 2:00 pm so join us for the start of what will surely be another enthralling day's poker. See you soon!

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »

After the whirlwind of yesterday and consistent marginal situations, I'm consigned back to the safe, comforting, section of the rail once more with Dana and Rod, though I'm struggling to wake up. The reason for this being the wind that's squeezing through the bathroom vent is creating a noise that sounds like an eight-year-old having his first lesson on the tuba.

Nevermind, players are milling around now and it looks like we might, maybe, start on time.

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »

Slight correction to my earlier claim that Pascal Perrault is still in. Having received the final chip counts above, it appears the amiable Frenchman was a late casualty. Sorry if I got your hopes up, French readers!

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:59:06 PM »

Morning all! I feel a bit terrible owing to our sampling of a little of the Irish culture last night, but I'm up and dressed, and I feel that that redeems me somewhat...

Anyway, I have a cup of coffee in the Press Corner, and the Citywest Conference Centre is a-buzz with poker players attempting to register/find sandwiches/beer for the more hardcore. There is very little chance of us starting on time, in fact Liam Flood has just now announced that we're looking at a 2.20pm start (for some reason claiming it's due to the bad weather/traffic situation Huh?).

Our "traditional Irish" piano duo are back in the bar playing Country Road which is not so great, but it does rather suggest we're getting the Cajun party band back tonight too, so I reckon it's a fair trade-off...

Is there a overlay?

There were rumours that it wasn't going to make the guarantee, and at the time of finishing yesterday there were only 250 players registered for today, but there are by my reckoning a million people in the bar right now, so the final numbers will be, at a guess, somewhere between 250 and a million.

We'll let you know when we do...
danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »

Our Super-Hi-Tech Player List Format!!!

danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:04:50 PM »

Ooh oooh, Floppy caught an exit already!

The board was three diamonds Two Diamonds Two Clubs and the players one Sean Gregory and one Paul McCann.

Gregory -
McCann -

River - Two Clubs, making McCann the full house, and busting both Gregory's lame-by-comparison-from-the-comfort-of-knowing-what-the-river-is flush draw, and indeed his tournament hopes. I can now confidently say that Paul McCann is our new chip leader, with roughly 20k.
danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

are there 3 days 1s or is the last day 1- please someone replay asap as trying to get flights sorted

2 day 1's.

This is the last one

1500nle tomorrow

Yes indeed. Also €300 Ladies Event at 5pm today, if anyone fancies it...
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

Elimination news!

Shaun McCoy is reputedly OUT at the hands of Michael Murphy...No further details at this stage

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »

Early Rutter Alert!

I joined him in the middle of a hand.

The board read Two Clubs two hearts and Stu had slid a single 1k and a single 500 chip into the middle...

His opponent in the hand, Ryan Fronda, thought about it for a short while before making the call.

RIVER:

Check, check.

Ryan flipped over 2-5 for turned trips to take the pot whilst a disconsolate looking Stu flicked his cards into the muck. He looked very disappointed. Run good one time Stu!

Here is Ryan, hungry as "de wolfe" for chips.

and Stu "2-5???2-5!!!! OMGGG" Rutter hoping for improved fortunes and less blurry photographs of him...

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »

Just officially announced that with there only being 352 players today, so PaddyPower have actually had to add around €200k to the prizepool to make the €3 milllion guarantee.

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 04:15:19 PM »

Jim Reid just bet 3,000 on a river of a board against John McGill, a bit of a dwell from the man in red, but he made the call, only to muck when Jim turns over for the nuts.

LuckyLloyd. He's quit his job, but doesn't like the fact that we refer to him now as a 'professional poker player', so instead here's 'poker pro' Lloyd O'Farrell.

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »

Bit of a bruising clash between Paul Fitzpatrick, who I recall as a fiery characted having met him previously in Waterford, and James Fielding on table 18.

In a raised pot preflop, both players saw a Ah flop.

James moved allin and Paul thought for a few seconds before calling  and showing a somewhat juicy A-K for top 2 pair.

James however turned over Q-Q for the set!

Holy cooler Batman!

A King or Ace-less turn and river meant a double through for James Fielding and Paul controlled the rage that burned inside, muttering "I knew it, I knew it" to himself...

Here is James, either whistling with success or mid-yawn. Take your pick.

danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »

Mr Jonathan Paul has somehow dropped down to about 6.5k - not sure how, although Mickey Wernick seems to have rather more chips than usual.

Mr Tom Archbold, currently (or previously, before the server went down, grrrr) on just a little over his 10k starting stack

Mr Jason Tompkins, 8k. Much to my delight, as I approached his table, he was picking his nose; much to my dismay he noticed I had a camera and stopped doing that in favour of twiddling chips instead

Mr Patrick Lawlor - 7k, and not in his seat. I initially took a photo of the gent in seat 9 by accident, and it was only when he spoke to me in a Scandie accent of some sort that I realised it was the wrong person. So, Mr Jorryt Van Hoof, currently on around 17k
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »

Lucky Lloyd is getting involved!

He sort of suggested earlier, he'd be fairly quiet in the early stages so when I saw him calling 1200 bet from Neil "badbeat" Channing on the turn of a , I sort of surmised he would have some sort of hand.

The river blanked and a check from Lloyd was checked quickly by Channing, who showed him A-K.

"NH sir but NO GOOD!" Brian Blessed Lucky Lloyd might have said, if he had said anything. Instead just showing down K-K was enough to give him the pot and send his stack roaring over 10k...

Lucky Lloyd...

Neil Channing...

Brian Blessed...

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »

Ok, requestaments.

Big Trevor Reardon -- 10k

Table Danny McHugh

Tim Blake, Jason Tompkins (6k), and Mike Ellis

Smurph - A deer caught in the camera's headlights...

Jonathan Paul (13k), whilst Paul Zimbler spots Rod's moobs.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 05:10:19 PM by NoflopsHomer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: