blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  PLO High: Advice
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLO High: Advice  (Read 3782 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »

In deep stacked tournaments (full table, cannot commit a stack pre-flop)

1. Is position less important than NLHE? (More players are in on the flop and it is hard to pick up a pot by betting when checked-to in late position?)

2. AAxx in early to mid position: limp to re-raise or raise?

3. Is giving a free card post flop ever a good idea?

4. I read the following stategy advice

- "Pump it or dump it": fold or bet/raise (if the odds are with you). You should avoid calling unless you have a good reason (such as trapping an opponent or increasing your pot odds when you are on a big draw).

- Respect most big bets and raises: this is particularly true in Pot-Limit Omaha since most players do not bluff.

- Do not get "married" to the nut flush draw: the difference between drawing to the nut flush in Omaha as compared to Hold'em is that in Hold'em you can usually win the pot by pairing your ace or win the pot with a flush even though the board pairs. The same is not true in Omaha.

Comments on these thoughts please

ty

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »

1. Is position less important than NLHE? (More players are in on the flop and it is hard to pick up a pot by betting when checked-to in late position?)

Not a very helpful reply but it depends on the standard of players, against weak players position is a massive advantage, you get check raised a lot less as well so i would say its more of advantage in short handed pots but less in multiway pots.

This depends on your PFR range, i raise 20% of hands at 6 max so i always raise AA as well as i am not given credit for it. If you raise tight then i wouldn't bother as people just put you on AA, limp re-raising is viable as long as you can get 1/3rd of your stack in pre.

You mean with the nuts? I do it occasionally for a few reasons.

Say i have flat called the flop in a HU pot and made the nut flush on the turn and now been checked too, it is pretty obvious i have the flush when i bet, infact when i call the flop its my most likely holding so against good players i will check behind because it plants the seed of doubt in their heads.

If i have the nuts with a redraw i might check behind when i think no-one has anything, like say i have the broadway straight and top set, betting here its hard to get called unless someone has the straight because you have the nuts with the best re-draw. Also again when you do bet you dont get credit for the nuts.

Playing a super lag i often check the nuts and near nuts behind because i decided to turn my hands into a bluff catcher, you need to know your oppo to do this and the board needs to make sense (make it look like you are on a draw so he fires the river as well)

On the whole though its best to bet if you think you have the best of it because its a PL game and you need to build pots!

- "Pump it or dump it": fold or bet/raise (if the odds are with you). You should avoid calling unless you have a good reason (such as trapping an opponent or increasing your pot odds when you are on a big draw).

Not sure i agree with that, quite often i will call to draw a blank when say i have K9xx on a K97 two tone board, its too easy for my oppo to 3bet with a combo draw.

- Respect most big bets and raises: this is particularly true in Pot-Limit Omaha since most players do not bluff.

Yes pretty much the case at the lower levels, i am currently playing a big batch of 6max 1-2 and have been making calls that would be correct in 5-10/10-20 but so far i have lost every pot, lol

- Do not get "married" to the nut flush draw: the difference between drawing to the nut flush in Omaha as compared to Hold'em is that in Hold'em you can usually win the pot by pairing your ace or win the pot with a flush even though the board pairs. The same is not true in Omaha.

Again entirely situation dependant. If its likely your oppo is holding 2 pair and you have a pair and nut fd your hands is in very good shape, if its clear they have a set then its in bad shape.

ty

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:30:21 PM »

thanks

a lot of conflicting online strategy articles out there!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »

thanks

For sure, i should quantify that nearly all my PLO is cash, but i think at the start you can pretty much say deepstack comp and cash are the same.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:47:48 PM »

thanks

I read this really cool one by Chris Hall for WPT magazine...

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 06:48:51 PM »

position is absolutely paramount, if you have a marginal holding position should usually be the deciding factor. Stealing in lp is very profitable in omaha especially in limped pots. In raised pots last position is still great but you have to be careful if people have checked to the original raiser due to check raising being very powerful in plo. All positions in omaha can be played profitably but you need to play a fair bit to understand how to manipulate your position to get money in if you want to. I could go on and on about different plays in positions against different opponents but the possibilities are endless.

Mix it up, but as long as you are raising enough other hands you should raise your aces 80%ish, aces from the blinds in limped pots are far more interesting.

You can do it sometimes, usually in raised pots so it's not to cheap to call on the turn when you can bet or raise a significant amount so the oppos can make significant mistakes in calling or raising.

floating pre flop raisers on the flop with position is standard play and very profitable against the right oppos, but generally just bet when you have it brings home the bacon

true generally, look for tricky players with moves to occasionaly try to pick off bluffs but mostly just give up without the nuts and someone is pushing hard.

also hard to get paid when you hit them if the money isn't already in, flushes are usually best as a back up draw, sets and big draws are the daddies.

ty

i don't really play plo tournaments (i hate them) but these are my thoughts for 9 handed deepstack cash games i usually play
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:59:27 PM by ACE2M » Logged
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:01:21 PM »

Not a very helpful reply but it depends on the standard of players, against weak players position is a massive advantage, you get check raised a lot less as well so i would say its more of advantage in short handed pots but less in multiway pots.

This depends on your PFR range, i raise 20% of hands at 6 max so i always raise AA as well as i am not given credit for it. If you raise tight then i wouldn't bother as people just put you on AA, limp re-raising is viable as long as you can get 1/3rd of your stack in pre.

You mean with the nuts? I do it occasionally for a few reasons.

Say i have flat called the flop in a HU pot and made the nut flush on the turn and now been checked too, it is pretty obvious i have the flush when i bet, infact when i call the flop its my most likely holding so against good players i will check behind because it plants the seed of doubt in their heads.

If i have the nuts with a redraw i might check behind when i think no-one has anything, like say i have the broadway straight and top set, betting here its hard to get called unless someone has the straight because you have the nuts with the best re-draw. Also again when you do bet you dont get credit for the nuts.

Playing a super lag i often check the nuts and near nuts behind because i decided to turn my hands into a bluff catcher, you need to know your oppo to do this and the board needs to make sense (make it look like you are on a draw so he fires the river as well)

On the whole though its best to bet if you think you have the best of it because its a PL game and you need to build pots!

Not sure i agree with that, quite often i will call to draw a blank when say i have K9xx on a K97 two tone board, its too easy for my oppo to 3bet with a combo draw.

Yes pretty much the case at the lower levels, i am currently playing a big batch of 6max 1-2 and have been making calls that would be correct in 5-10/10-20 but so far i have lost every pot, lol

Again entirely situation dependant. If its likely your oppo is holding 2 pair and you have a pair and nut fd your hands is in very good shape, if its clear they have a set then its in bad shape.

I love this play against pre flop raisers, tilts the fook out of them as well if they are not that bright

ty

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: