blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  spitting feathers
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: spitting feathers  (Read 2613 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »

i play poker for fun and when i play the most important thing is to enjoy myself if i make some money then fine

tonight i was playing in a national pub chains £100 maximium prize pool (to keep themselves legal) it a £5 to enter

winner takes all 16 runner £80 comp

it was all going well i was getting hit in the face

when on a flop i put in a 300tc bet into a 400 pot with the blinds at 50/100

guy throws in 500 and says raise to 500 i say no you must make it 600

he does after a wee bit of a hissy fit and i say if you want a ruling just ask the manager

anyway i reraise all in he calls with 2nd pair and i win with my top pair he is out (the comp gives everyone a 2nd chance after the first break)

during the break the manager calls me over with the rules saying i was WRONG he could of raise too 400 if he wants shows me the rules

i told him the rules were a mess but i will stand by that rule if those rules were confirmed (he phoned the people in charge and they confirmed that

for there comps the mimium reraise was the big blind)

now i was annoyed for the first part that the guy wanted to go and chase up the rule AFTER he lost the pot and not when i asked him too

so now put me in a not enjoying the game mood as i dont like tension

THEN

short handed on the FT i limp in sb with 33 after a limp and get raised by bb (bit of a rock with just as many chips as me) so dont want to get heavily involed

now the short stacked limper moves all in but i think its ok he hasnt reopened the pot as its an under raise and call hope to hit a set or bail

execpt there isnt an underraise and the guy bet more than the big blind so i get rerereraised fuming i nearly just called inspite of such a silly rule

and the fact i just wasted too many chips without getting to see the flop

i folded as i knew the BB had a huge hand now

really pissed me off getting into 2 "rows" over a friendly game of cards due to there rules being toss

i told the table if i win the money is taintained and it will all go into the charity bottles

got HU with 2-1 chip lead massive blinds compared to chips got him all in with AQ v his 88 he hit an 8 to leave me drawing dead

then he call my all in shove after limping with his A4 v my QJ and the rest was history

i still put £20 in the charity bottles but dont know if i will ever play there again as i just hate disputes in poker i play for fun  and

i think thats the first time i have ever played and not enjoyed myself

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »

Have heard of plenty of shite like this regarding rules, in various local pub tournies. Shows just how little many of the recreational poker players know. I certainly wouldn't be playing there again in your situation
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:30:29 AM »

Have heard of plenty of shite like this regarding rules, in various local pub tournies. Shows just how little many of the recreational poker players know. I certainly wouldn't be playing there again in your situation

it was the national chains rules

the guy on the phone he spoke to said i was right but for there rules to make it simple for the beginner there rule was the minimium rereiase was 1 bb

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »

it was the national chains rules

the guy on the phone he spoke to said i was right but for there rules to make it simple for the beginner there rule was the minimium rereiase was 1 bb

stupid explanation by the guy, essentialy saying "Let's teach people how poker doesn't work as poker is too complicated for them"

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »

Don't play poker in pubs.

Pubs for drinking, card rooms for poker.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:33:08 AM »

don't ring up mild mannered associate in middle of dispute with pub punter, rush through the situation and hand phone to pub punter to speak to mild mannered associate on, asking mild mannered associate to explain TDA rules to pub punter.

Thank you.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
jizzemm

BB6 Footy Winners - WALES.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »

Don't play poker in pubs.

Pubs for drinking, card rooms for poker.

"I want to talk about my hand, what do you mean I cant talk about my hand, right im going to talk about the fact that I cant talk about my hand"...
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »

Which league is this Iron?

I run a redtooth night in my local, I glanced over their rules when it started, but have made it clear from the start i would be played to my rules. IE DTD rules + i have final say on anything bizarre.

If this is the same league i best check whats in their supplied rules and burn them. Started to get lots of new people turning. Dont want to have to set Evilpie on anyone for arguing with me.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »

it was the manager of pub tighty

and stuart it was red tooth

TheWhisper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »

I always thought spitting feathers was an expression used for being thirsty.
This would have not been good in a pub game Smiley

The rulings are crazy and as Boldie says, why change from the rules just to make it easier.

Crazy rule changes are not just for poker though.
I took a team to a grass roots football tournament the other week and throw-ins were banned and had been replaced by kick-ins, this was done under the specific instruction of the FA. I have no idea why.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »

I always thought spitting feathers was an expression used for being thirsty.

I thought he'd been molesting chickens again.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
ericstoner

Winner of the Stars $200 sunday biggy, RU APAT Ire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »

As i've always said.[since pub poker started ] Ignorance of the rules,Bad venue,alcohol and testostrone= pub poker.........Always avoid.

Blonde Hall of fame inductee,October 2007.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

I think I commented in another thread that someone who ran pub poker said they allowed under-raises "to give more play".
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 04:20:13 PM »

I think I commented in another thread that someone who ran pub poker said they allowed under-raises "to give more play".

classic.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

I used to play in a pub league, but gave up on it in the end.  First off there was this strange rule implemented that if someone was all in with less than a big blind they would be entitled to receive one full big blind off everyone in the pot should they win it.  When I queried it with the host I was given the section of the rules on under raises to read.  He wasn't prepared to accept that it had been misread and said that that was the rule applied in all of the league venues.  I eventually got it sorted out after contacting their head office.

Now the league is done on a points basis, over a period of two months.  The top 100 players over that period qualify to play in a bigger event where there are fairly decent prizes up for grabs.  It was my last session of the period, and I was sitting in 97th place, so needed to get some points to consolidate my position.  The atmosphere that day was horrible.  There were two guys playing who thought they were god's gift to poker, kept talking to each other about all the 'fish' on the table, and how bad the standard of play was (yes, there was some dubious play, but this was a £5 pub league ffs and lots of people were playing to learn the game).  I was sitting next to one of them, and he put an oversized chip in for his BB, and I changed it up for him.  I'd not been playing poker long myself and wasn't aware that I'd broken etiquette, and these tournaments were normally played in a friendly, fun, spirit.  He snatched his chip back off me and yelled 'what the fuck are you doing?!'  'er, you looked like you could use some change' 'don't you fucking dare touch my chips again without asking, you hear me?'.  That was that, I wasn't enjoying it, so I had a word with the host to find out what would happen if I left (if I was going to be blinded out, I was pretty much guranteed the points I needed and would leave, otherwise I'd grin and bear it).  He said that there was no rule as such, it was down to the host's discretion.  He confirmed that my chips would be left on the table, I would be blinded out, and my finishing position would be determined accordingly, so I went home.

Got a call the next day from my mate who was playing to say that after I'd left someone else at the table had queried my stack being left and blinded away, and had asked that the chips be redistributed to everyone on the table.  The host had buckled, redistributed my chips, and I'd been deemed as having finished in the position I'd left the game in.  I ended up finishing 101st in the league Sad

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: