blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:27:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Omaha - Have I got the right price to call?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Omaha - Have I got the right price to call?  (Read 2193 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »

6 handed omaha 2/4 on Blonde.

I'm down to my last $95 and not planning to reload because it's bed time.

EP pot raises to $14.

I've got  and call on the button.

BB shoves for his last $35 ish.

Original raiser pots it again so there's now $165 ish in the pot.

I put him squarely on aces + ATC because he's done it before.

It's going to cost me $81 to win $165 and I'm guaranteed all 5 cards so is my draw good enough against top pair?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »

If EP is tight. Pass to initial raise. If EP is a maniac. Shove vs initial raise.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »

Well your ace is dead really...you hold one too many hearts. If the hand was double suited then yes..now..probably not..but Feck it, call and go to sleep on tilt Smiley

Floppy is right of course.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »

If EP is tight. Pass to initial raise. If EP is a maniac. Shove vs initial raise.

EP likes to call off a lot of chips with mediocre finishing hands. It was worth calling the initial raise because if i hit even 2 pair I'm confident of a pay off or easy escape.

You think this hand's good enough to re pop? Would you re raise hoping for the fold? Surely with this draw on the button you'd be better off seeing a cheap flop and playing the streets?

What if he calls your $48 and the flop doesn't help? You've done half your stack on a far from perfect drawing hand and you've only got $47 left to try to nick the pot which probably won't be enough.

I just wondered if 2 to 1 was good enough to call for everything I had left knowing that I get to see all 5 cards. I can either sit there with $80 or go for being sat there with $240 ish.

Seemed like a good price against what I thought would be a pair of aces.

Is there somewhere that works the odds out for omaha hands? I don't know how good a hand needs to be to get 2 to 1? I'd like to know the chances of my hand making 2 pair or better.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:55:09 PM »

EP likes to call off a lot of chips with mediocre finishing hands. It was worth calling the initial raise because if i hit even 2 pair I'm confident of a pay off or easy escape.

No it's not. If he likes calling off then you should be raising.

You think this hand's good enough to re pop? Would you re raise hoping for the fold? Surely with this draw on the button you'd be better off seeing a cheap flop and playing the streets?

What if he calls your $48 and the flop doesn't help? You've done half your stack on a far from perfect drawing hand and you've only got $47 left to try to nick the pot which probably won't be enough.

You don't fold any flop, pot odds already dictate that. Against a maniac, this hand is good enough to repop.

I just wondered if 2 to 1 was good enough to call for everything I had left knowing that I get to see all 5 cards. I can either sit there with $80 or go for being sat there with $240 ish.

Seemed like a good price against what I thought would be a pair of aces.

It's not a great spot.

Is there somewhere that works the odds out for omaha hands? I don't know how good a hand needs to be to get 2 to 1? I'd like to know the chances of my hand making 2 pair or better.

www.twodimes.net

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »

Just checked the odds.

He had  three diamonds three clubs.

Apparently with my holding I was 32.23% so pretty much exactly the right price to call even though he was double suited. Would've been better against the random pair of aces that I put him on. Don't know what long term EV would be but it can't be far from +. I'd be interested to know if anyone can calculate it.

I don't like the idea of potting it then seeing a flop with my stack as it is. Like you say, I'm committed to any flop and if I miss it I'm screwed. If it was NL then obv push but I don't like leaving myself with so little behind. If I was deeper then I'd have re popped but I just couldn't afford to at the time.

I preferred to see the flop and at least keep enough back to do something after it especially as I had position.

As it panned out the money all went in pre flop anyway which I was happy with.

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »

Just checked the odds.

Apparently with my holding I was 32.23% so pretty much exactly the right price to call even though he was double suited. Would've been better against the random pair of aces that I put him on. Don't know what long term EV would be but it can't be far from +. I'd be interested to know if anyone can calculate it.

I don't like the idea of potting it then seeing a flop with my stack as it is. Like you say, I'm committed to any flop and if I miss it I'm screwed. If it was NL then obv push but I don't like leaving myself with so little behind. If I was deeper then I'd have re popped but I just couldn't afford to at the time.

I preferred to see the flop and at least keep enough back to do something after it especially as I had position.

Did you factor in the BB's hand?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »

Just checked the odds.

Did you factor in the BB's hand?

Good point. No, can't remember what he had and because he didn't have much in the pot I foolishly forgot to account for him.

I often do that. Only thinking of the bigger stack I'm up against which is bad when working out the odds.

I'll have to check it when I get home and re run the calc.

Must say I was surprised to be so well off against 2 pairs double suited. Having one of his diamonds added 1.5% so that helped a bit. Obv if BB had any hearts, clubs or diamonds it will further influence it.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »

Well your ace is dead really...you hold one too many hearts. If the hand was double suited then yes..now..probably not..but Feck it, call and go to sleep on tilt Smiley

Just out of interest I've ran that calc with me double suited (the other 2 suits to him obv) and it's worth an extra 4.5%.

Hardly groundbreaking and probably shouldn't be a decision maker.

It was my 6 8 10 that I quite liked + my suited ace obv.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »

Just out of interest I've ran that calc with me double suited (the other 2 suits to him obv) and it's worth an extra 4.5%.

is it an extra 4.5% in your favour? (in which case it's a 9% swing)

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »

Yes. I go from 32.3% to 36.7%.

I guess it's getting towards 60 40 which sounds a lot more tempting than 70 30 if we round it off.

Oh man where's flushy to just tell me if I was right or wrong??  Grin

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

I guess it's getting towards 60 40 which sounds a lot more tempting than 70 30 if we round it off.

I think Floppy is more than qualified.

HI HELEN!
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »

25 BI downswing here so probably not.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »

Hence the little smiley  Smiley

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 03:05:06 PM »

Floppy

Just going back to your initial point about reraising pre flop.

It seemed risky to me because he was first to act after the flop and if he called then shoved to a bad flop for me I've got no comeback despite getting ridic high pot odds.

Obviously my mistake here is not being deep enough but like I said it was late and I didn't want to reload.

If it had got round to me I would've made the initial raise because then I could commit my stack to a reraise and get all 5 cards which is what we want with a drawing hand. Alternatively if it gets flatted I've got position and matbe enough to raise any flop bet or possibly steal if it checks round.

To me this is purely a question of stack size but I can't see the merit in the raise given what I was sat with.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: