blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617546 times)
Ginger
Queen of Purple

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: November 17, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »

Watched the 'Escapist' the other night, no Shawshank but decent...

I love that movie, weird way of going about things, but great. Brian Cox is a fine actor imo

lol based all around shawshank and prison break, thought it was very very poor. 2/10

If only Stephen King hadnt stolen his whole storyline from Escape from Alcatraz

Sorry, but LOL!

Damn that Stephen King, can't he think of anything to write?!  Wink

“Half a truth is often a great lie.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 18, 2009, 12:32:49 AM »

Saw Harry Brown earlier.
Unnecessarily bleak imo, just too dark. Watchable but not in the same league as Gran Torino for me, which does a similar job but with more charm and the odd much-needed lighter moment.
Just about worth sitting through but couldn't imagine sitting through it again.
Michael Caine good as always.
Otherwise 5/10 for me at best.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 18, 2009, 12:56:40 AM »

I love that movie, weird way of going about things, but great. Brian Cox is a fine actor imo

lol based all around shawshank and prison break, thought it was very very poor. 2/10

Sorry you didn't like it, I loved it and preferred it to Shawshank. It was nominated for 'Best Film' at the Irish TV and Film Awards, unlike Shawshank.
Unsure how it draws much from Shawshank at all, apart from on a couple of basic ideas that the two happen to share in common. In fact, I found them two radically different films.
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »

Sorry you didn't like it, I loved it and preferred it to Shawshank. It was nominated for 'Best Film' at the Irish TV and Film Awards, unlike Shawshank.
Unsure how it draws much from Shawshank at all, apart from on a couple of basic ideas that the two happen to share in common. In fact, I found them two radically different films.

lol you might be the only guy that doesn't love shawshank, i think its probably in the top 10 movies of over 90% of the movie watching population.

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 19, 2009, 05:16:54 PM »

lol you might be the only guy that doesn't love shawshank, i think its probably in the top 10 movies of over 90% of the movie watching population.

I preferred the Escapist to Shawshank but I still love Shawshank.

I agree that it's very popular, not sure that this is normally any measure of film quality, maybe the opposite in many cases. Shawshank definitely not my Number 1 film of all time, not in my top 30, but I can see why for many people it is.

Everyone will find a few personal stinkers in here, or question their positions: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

I read a big review of 'all time best films' in one of the big sunday papers a couple of weeks back and was surprised that they chose to put 'Cache' (Hidden) near the top, but I would place it right up there also. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387898/ On IMDB it only got 7.2/10........ Far superior film to Shashwank imo.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: November 19, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »

If only Stephen King hadnt stolen his whole storyline from Escape from Alcatraz

Sorry, but LOL!

Damn that Stephen King, can't he think of anything to write?!  Wink

I love Stephen King, and have enjoyed many of his books and a few of those that were made into films, but the fact that he is a great writer doesnt mean that he didnt steal an idea from someone else, to write his short story which turned into the Shawshank movie

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 20, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »

Don't know if it's been on here before but I watched "Felon" last night.

Fantastic film and well worth a watch.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 20, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »

The Escapist was terrible - perhaps 2/10
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

Don't know if it's been on here before but I watched "Felon" last night.

Fantastic film and well worth a watch.

I downloaded this about a year ago but never bothered watching it, i might have a gander then

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 20, 2009, 09:06:54 PM »

No, there are a few free thinkers left out there sir.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 20, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »

No, there are a few free thinkers left out there sir.

thats why i said 90%

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: November 21, 2009, 05:50:55 AM »

2012 surprised me by actually being full of win.

Obv characters are cardboard and plot is like swiss cheese but OMFG the effects are just the greatest thing ever. Even at over two and a half hours it didn't drag until right at the very end and it just flew by.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 21, 2009, 06:50:41 AM »

The Men Who Stare At Goats is highly amusing, especially if you're a big fan of Star Wars and The Big Lebowski.

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 21, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »

Dragged to Twiilight last night, I don't get it.  I get dragged to Harry Potter too, and I can see why people like that and least it has some decent characters/plots, but Twiilight its awful, truly awful

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: November 21, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »

The Men Who Stare At Goats is highly amusing, especially if you're a big fan of Star Wars and The Big Lebowski.

Are you serious, its fucking shit, no humour in it at all - and i'm a fan of Big Lebowski, not Star Wars tho (geek).

HI HELEN!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: