blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 621754 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2610 on: June 23, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »

I just don't think Superman really lends itself to the dark knight treatment - the film felt like a mashup of the Matrix, Avatar, Transformers and a few other recent blockbusters, but not Superman.

I enjoyed it for the action, but it just didn't feel like Superman. I was never a big Superman fan, so I wasn't that bothered and quite enjoyed it, but I can see why people are pissed.

6/10 for me, but probs 4/10 if you actually loved Superman originally.
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »

My dad just texted me this...

(We were comparing top 10 films)

"Mate just txt me "Glengarry Glenross" as his best film ever ~ forgot that one, it was brilliant.

My Dad then just told me after I'd said never heard of it, it's a MUST watch.

Anyone?

I watched it for the first time about 4 months ago and loved it, some amazing performances from amazing actors and the greatest cameo of all time from Alec Baldwin - worth it for the first scene alone.

In particular a must watch if you have ever worked in sales.

he said about the cameo too, and the sales element!

I'm working in corporate sales at present, and have worked in sales since 2001 -Telesales, a Field role, so thanks I'll defo look out for it..any ideas how old it is, and where best to locate?!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:02:44 PM by Waz1892 » Logged

Carpe Diem
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: June 23, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »

"Mate just txt me "Glengarry Glenross" as his best film ever ~ forgot that one, it was brilliant.

Anyone?

I watched it for the first time about 4 months ago and loved it, some amazing performances from amazing actors and the greatest cameo of all time from Alec Baldwin - worth it for the first scene alone.

I'm working in corporate sales at present, and have worked in sales since 2001 -Telesales, a Field role, so thanks I'll defo look out for it..any ideas how old it is, and where best to locate?!

Waz

ths is a download link

http://yify-torrents.com/movie/Glengarry_Glen_Ross_1992

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »

World War Z was meh ok.

Not as good as TWD really, some good bits but zombie action too manic.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: June 23, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »

World War Z was meh ok.

Not as good as TWD really, some good bits but zombie action too manic.

May make fajita Friday margarita Monday fort this one Smiley

Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: June 23, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »

Anyone?

Waz

ths is a download link

http://yify-torrents.com/movie/Glengarry_Glen_Ross_1992

many thanks.

Carpe Diem
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: June 24, 2013, 01:22:25 AM »

Holes is incred for those that like a bit of old-school Disney

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: June 25, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »

The Liability with Tim Roth .

7/10 good fun cult movie
http://skylo.me/vv.php?Id=3eb2e5c90ddc9c4127a0cb655a8349e6
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: June 25, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »

World War Z

Several years of production and a reported out of control $400 million dollar budget finally gets a version of Max Brooks vision of an undead apocalypse to the big screen.

The film detracts from the complexity of the book(s) on the basis that in the books the story is a collection of accounts, from various peoples viewpoints from different countries, of the apocalypse as collected by a UN investigator. Obviously this would have been near impossible to shoehorn into 2 hours so Hollywood decided to take the more direct ,and action packed, route of following UN employee Gerry Lane ( Pitt) as he traverses the globe looking for an answer to the global epidemic.

Overall I think despite the production problems director Marc Foster has made a more than decent effort at bringing the overall effect to the big screen.

We are plunged into the thick of it in less than 5 minutes via a slick set piece that brings with it a genuine feeling of panic and confusion as all around disintergrates in rapid fire jolts of action....

Zombie aficionado's may whinge a bit about the portrayal of the protagonists but this rapid swarming version of the threat displayed here is both unsettling and scary. The violence is not visceral and in fact errs on the side of conservative, however that does not detract from many edge of the seat moments interspersed with a few well placed jump out of no where episodes.

The film is well paced ( two hours did actually fly by ) as we follow our hero as he globe trotts the world in search of an answer taking in such beauty spots as Jerusalem, South Korea....and Cardiff..
The ending is a touch contrived and convenient but acceptable and leaves open to what looks like a sequel as Z seems to be recouping its massive budget at the box office..

One last thought from the misogynist side of my brain..Brad Pitts missus is a little on the plain moose side..so all you plain Jane's out there...theres hope for you yet at bagging a man with movie star looks..if maybe only in fantasy..

Overall I enjoyed 'Z' and was relieved it didn't end up being the same pile of steaming kak that was Man of Steel... may not be everyones cup of tea but..
7 fajitas out of 10 for me

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »

Well written report, good stuff.

Agree the opening was strong, best part of the film prob. But for every good part there was nonsense. We went to Jerusalem to learn all about how the shrewd elders built the walls and how if 9 men say something the last man should be the wisest and say something else. This is the prophecy and the vision of our people. Nah geezer, the zombies are simply climbing over the wall as you chat this very shit.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: June 26, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »

I watched World War Z and enjoyed the first two thirds

Before going in I knew it was two hours long and after 105 minutes on my stopwatch I thought to myself

"How on earth does this finish in the next 15 minutes?"

The answer was that they barely wrote the last 15 minutes and we are left with a trite and simplistic piece of nonsense

Ona rriving home I research and read:

Pitt's Plan B Entertainment secured the film rights in 2007 and Forster was approached to direct. In 2009, Carnahan was hired to rewrite the script to the film. Filming began in July 2011 in Malta on an estimated $125 million budget, before moving to Glasgow in August 2011 and Budapest in October 2011. Originally set for a December 2012 release, the production suffered some setbacks. In June 2012, the film's release date was pushed back and the crew returned to Budapest for seven weeks of additional shooting. Damon Lindelof was hired to rewrite the third act, but did not have the time to finish the script and Drew Goddard was hired to rewrite it. The reshoots took place between September and October 2012.

and furthermore

Lindelof explained there were inefficiencies in the script in relation to the shooting, which started before the script was finalized thus making the ending "abrupt and incoherent" and was missing a large chunk of footage. Lindelof presented two options to executives, who ultimately choose to shoot 30 to 40 minutes of additional footage to make a coherent ending. The re-shoots coupled with other overages caused the budget to balloon to around $200 million, which shocked Paramount president Marc Evans.[2] Several of the scenes shot in Budapest, including a large-scale battle with the zombies in Moscow's Red Square,[54] were dropped from the final cut in order to water down the film's political undertones, and steer it towards a more generally friendly summer blockbuster.[55] The climactic battle scene in Russia, for which there was 12 minutes of footage, had Pitt's character fighting through zombies more like "a warrior hero" than "the sympathetic family man" of the earlier acts. The second-unit director, Simon Crane, said, "It wasn't character-driven anymore... [The filmmakers] really needed to think about what they wanted to do with the third act."

both those from wiki

Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times remarked, "World War Z plays a bit like a series of separate films and the juncture where the new final act was grafted onto the proceedings is unmistakable, but unless you knew about the film's troubled past, you'd never guess it existed."

Which sort of makes sense, as the last part of the film is like a disjointed coda to the rest, and completely spoils it for me

what might have been 6 or 7 tighty stars out of 10 is reduced to 5 stars out of ten

the book was much better
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:31:59 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
maccol

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: June 26, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »

Quote from: TightEnd link=topic=35649.msg1799617#msg1799617 date=1372264109

the book was much better
[/quote
I cant think of many films where this isn't the case.The cinematic versions of a previously read book never quite reach the heights of our imaginations.

Embracing the variance.
Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: June 26, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »

I liked World War Z, but agree with blonde about the ending.  If anyone is remotely interested in the original last 30mins or so they filmed.  Then link is an interesting read.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/world-war-z-original-ending/12638

I prob would've preferred the original and sets up for a sequel a lot better, but can understand that it doesn't sound like a standard summer blockbuster with Brad Pitt.

Surely they won't resist a cash in on blue-ray and release the alternative ending as well and charge a few extra quid?
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 02, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »

Welcome to the punch

What a cracking film. Stumbled across it purely by chance. Gritty cops and robber type of film starring Mark Stone, James McAvoy and the Guv'nor from Walking Dead.
Definitely worth a watch.
8.5/10

Ah! The element of surprise
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »

Welcome to the punch

What a cracking film. Stumbled across it purely by chance. Gritty cops and robber type of film starring Mark Stone, James McAvoy and the Guv'nor from Walking Dead.
Definitely worth a watch.
8.5/10

Seen it. Agree it is enjoyable. Something like a 6/10.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: