blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 621151 times)
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »

Dirty Wars, excellent documentary, came across it as it's Oscar nominated.

Very much recommend a watch.
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2791 on: February 25, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »

Watched prisoners last night.

Weird.

Cinematography - very good.

Pace/plot starts off excellent. Then towards the end totally loses its way. Plot holes galore. Yet, I found myself enjoying it -

I thought at first 'it was just me' - ie, i missed some logical explanation of various sitatuations/characters when i wasnt concentrating, but straight after watching I went onto IMDB. Yep, plot holes/lack of explaination galore.

Sweetman

View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: February 25, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

Watched prisoners last night.

Weird.

Cinematography - very good.

Pace/plot starts off excellent. Then towards the end totally loses its way. Plot holes galore. Yet, I found myself enjoying it -

I thought at first 'it was just me' - ie, i missed some logical explanation of various sitatuations/characters when i wasnt concentrating, but straight after watching I went onto IMDB. Yep, plot holes/lack of explaination galore.

Yeah its one of those films where as long as you don't pick it apart too much, it works, and is carried well by some great acting.

I was pretty much the same as you, I thought "hang on, but what about the, when did that, but how can that" etc, but still enjoyed the film on the whole.
Sweetman

View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 25, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »

I was really looking forward to 12 Years A Slave after rave reviews and zomg critical acclaim including 9 Academy Award nomiations. However, it simply isn't THAT good and I felt rather deflated after sitting through a somewhat mediocre production. I often feel the controversial subject matter of movies can inflate the praise heaped upon them by critics and this film is a prime example. Watch Roots if you want a top slavery flick or Django for a more light-hearted but equally first rate watch. In reality it was just ok.

Totally agree, I was utterly bored through pretty much the whole film.  I'd been looking forward to watching it and heard so many positive things from lots of different people.  FWIW I also felt that the lead actor's performance was not "Oscar worthy" he just looked confused for the entirety of the film.

Every Oscar that this film wins, I feel will be "stolen" from the cast of American Hustle/Dallas Buyer's Club.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2794 on: March 02, 2014, 04:51:33 AM »

The Best offer (2013) really really really good 9/10
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »

Really enjoyed last vegas .......

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 02, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »

Best bit was when it finished.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:57 AM »

Best bit was when it finished.

This, don't get all the love for it itt, De Niro's really fun, cast was excellent, script was shit.

4/10 if I'm being nice.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 08, 2014, 01:25:54 AM »

Couple of good films tonight

Thor 2- Solid action film as good as the first if you have seen that 7/10

Rush- Really enjoyed it, was too young to appreciate James Hunt as a kid, but what a legend if that is any reflection of his real life. Anyway great story 8.5/10
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: March 08, 2014, 01:53:47 AM »

Watched The Shining for the first time last week. What a work of art that is! Must be close to being the best horror film.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2800 on: March 08, 2014, 07:42:17 AM »

Watched gravity, defo worth a watch, however totally overhyped,

Now don't get me wrong, it looks absolutely stunning, and the soundtrack is cool too, so aesthetically a lot of credit is due .

The film to me was a little corny, as well as lacking something. You get to know very little about the teo characters played by george clooney and sandra bullock, From the first scene you're right in space, it's thrown you straight in to the deep end. Would have been nice to understand more about them rather than a little dialogue, To me the film needed some kind of unique twist, but it all flows how you'd expect a typical 'merica' film to flow, if that makes sense,

6.5/10
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: March 08, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »

Ong Bak, Random foreign subtitled film. If you like martial arts films you will like it, there are some great fight scenes. Once it gets going its pretty much non stop. Streamed below.

http://viooz.co/movies/2874-ong-bak-2003.html
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: March 09, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

300 - Rise of an Empire

Historically not quite correct. Great film though and almost as good as the first one.

8/10

Ah! The element of surprise
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: March 10, 2014, 10:05:27 PM »

The Best offer (2013) really really really good 9/10

Would never have known about this film without the recommendation and thoroughly agree with the really really really good rating.

Cheers Trigg.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: March 10, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »

Another foreign film, Metro Manila. Shows an angle of how hard life can be for an ordinary family in the Philippines and the tough decisions they need to make to live and the corruption that is standard. A solid 7/10. Also a brag I've been trekking in the mountain range they are from  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: