blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 244 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 620339 times)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: November 27, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »

Saw Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindelwald yesterday, and can understand why it seems to have had such a marmite response from those who've seen it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the challenge I have with it is that it's too complex a storyline for people, particularly children, to follow unless they have good grounding in the Harry Potter storyline and some of the background events within it.  The first film wasn't such an issue with this, as it had the 'distraction' of the various creatures within it to entertain younger viewers.  The new film has far fewer fantastic beasts within it, and most are one's that we've already encountered in the first film.  This storyline is based far more on the wizard community, particularly the background story between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, which is expanding on detail in the Harry Potter books, which was barely touched upon in the films.  Consequently, anyone coming from a background of having only seen the films, will potentially miss the significance of many of the characters in this film.

Sophie and I watched it first, so that we could decide whether it would be suitable to take the children to it.  We decided probably not.  The 9 year old, who is a Harry Potter nut, would be fine with it, other than I'm not sure she would pick up on some of the subtler parts of the storyline.  However, our younger daughter, who is almost 6, would struggle to follow the storyline, and would be either scared, bored or confused by it at various stages.  It doesn't have the charm of the first film to keep younger viewers entertained, in my view.

This was also borne out by my parents experience going to see it.  Mum, who's read all the books, loved it.  Dad, whose seen the films, fell asleep during it and didn't know the relevance of characters such as Nicholas Flamel, or the Lestrange family while watching it.

Ultimately, if you're a fan of the Potter universe then you will likely love this film as a continuation of the Fantastic Beast saga, in the expectation that it's a continuation of the story, rather than a conclusion of it.  If you're planning on taking children to see it, the experience might be somewhat different.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: November 27, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »

Robin Of Eggsy.

WALOFS.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: November 27, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »

Saw Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindelwald yesterday, and can understand why it seems to have had such a marmite response from those who've seen it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the challenge I have with it is that it's too complex a storyline for people, particularly children, to follow unless they have good grounding in the Harry Potter storyline and some of the background events within it.  The first film wasn't such an issue with this, as it had the 'distraction' of the various creatures within it to entertain younger viewers.  The new film has far fewer fantastic beasts within it, and most are one's that we've already encountered in the first film.  This storyline is based far more on the wizard community, particularly the background story between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, which is expanding on detail in the Harry Potter books, which was barely touched upon in the films.  Consequently, anyone coming from a background of having only seen the films, will potentially miss the significance of many of the characters in this film.

Sophie and I watched it first, so that we could decide whether it would be suitable to take the children to it.  We decided probably not.  The 9 year old, who is a Harry Potter nut, would be fine with it, other than I'm not sure she would pick up on some of the subtler parts of the storyline.  However, our younger daughter, who is almost 6, would struggle to follow the storyline, and would be either scared, bored or confused by it at various stages.  It doesn't have the charm of the first film to keep younger viewers entertained, in my view.

This was also borne out by my parents experience going to see it.  Mum, who's read all the books, loved it.  Dad, whose seen the films, fell asleep during it and didn't know the relevance of characters such as Nicholas Flamel, or the Lestrange family while watching it.

Ultimately, if you're a fan of the Potter universe then you will likely love this film as a continuation of the Fantastic Beast saga, in the expectation that it's a continuation of the story, rather than a conclusion of it.  If you're planning on taking children to see it, the experience might be somewhat different.

Spot on review. It felt like the film should have been called something like History of the Wizarding World: The Grindlewald War rather than Fantastic Beasts. There were no beasts!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: December 08, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »

Crazy Rich Asians- Romcom about a normal girl getting sucked into the life of the super rich in Singapore and all the bullshit that surrounds it. Funny, entertaining and worth a watch.

Solid 8.5/10
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: December 12, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »

Damn straight

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: December 17, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »

Took my nephew to watch that new Spiderman cartoon thing. He went in full costume with mask and I was sorely tempted to join him.

At first it was awful and I actually flounced out to complain that I didn't have the 3D glasses

The girl checked and it wasn't 3D so I flounced back in

Just got better and better...great experience for kids...and errr adults.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: December 26, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »

Netflix: Bird Box

Roles for women of a certain age are clearly thin on the ground. Sandra Bullock iirc, hasn’t been seen on the big screen for awhile, so I can only imagine she was getting desperate by the time she was offered this role...

Pretty preposterous stuff

PS dear Santa, can I have those 2 hours back, please?
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: January 07, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »

Good to see Glenn Close and Rami Malek turn the two favourites (Bradley and Steph) over at the Globes.

Both odds-on for the Oscars now and it looks like the massively over-hyped ASIB could brick everything.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: January 09, 2019, 06:21:39 PM »

The Favourite

Probably the busiest matinee I’ve been to. Not sure if it was gasps I heard during the Lezza sex scenes or something a little more unsavoury.

In any event, I thoroughly enjoyed this period romp (pun intended) with many very good performances and a screenplay that I found LOL in spots - I think they were intended, but I seemed to be the only source of tittering in the theatre.

Oh, and the costumes, score & cinematographraphy added to the general excellence. No idea on the historical accuracy.

May not be everybody’s bag, but for those who enjoyed Downton Abbey capers, go see it.

8.5 / 10
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: January 13, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »

Green Book is class. Based on the true story of Tony "Lip" Vallelonga, a working-class Italian-American bouncer who becomes the driver of African-American classical pianist Doctor Don Shirley on a tour of venues through the American South in the 1960's. Loved the 60's vibe. Feel good film with strong characters.

Viggo Mortensen plays the Italian lead and he's become just about my favourite actor. Bada bing bada boom.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: January 14, 2019, 01:42:40 PM »

Bumblebee surprisingly good. Had low expectations but it has some substance and the lead is very good. Lovely 80s soundtrack too.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: January 17, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »

Stan & Ollie

A lovely film. Take the wife/gf/bf. Saturday morning tv and Christmas holiday tv was sprinkled with Laurel & Hardy (& Marx Brothers) comedy magic throughout my childhood : classic stuff. Those were the days, lol. My kids ask if something’s in colour and lose interest when the answer’s “negative”. Filmed with sensitivity for the era, with Coogan in a role he’s waited his entire life for: well worth the wait - he’s brilliant. The other guy’s good too.

Tbh I think they could wind back the clock for a series of prequels if this one’s a big enough hit.

8/10
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: January 17, 2019, 07:20:35 PM »

Same here, Harold Lloyd and L&H were still on TV when I were a lad. The 6pm slot on BBC2 for those who didn't want to watch the news.

This is beautifully done and the two leads are both incred. Very poignant.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

A brilliantly observed film about a pair of social misfits, who at least temporarily become friends. Sad, melancholy, but very much worth seeing if only for Richard E Grant’s wonderfully flamboyant and funny performance. I really hope he wins a gong or two.

Probably next available for viewing on Netflix/Amazon or a random Everyman.

marcro

View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: February 14, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »

Bohemian Rhapsody.

Queen fans should enjoy it.  Rami Malek does a pretty good job as Freddie Mercury.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 244 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: