blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Keep The Meta Running
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keep The Meta Running  (Read 10622 times)
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:48:21 AM »

lovely stuff,
yet another phrase i can add to my ever increasing list of unfathomable poker termanology.
i rememeber the first time i met nik persauld down at the gutshot a couple of years back, he was talking about a hand (i know, hard to believe it) & he asked me whether i thought there was much fold equity in it - he may as well have been speaking chinese, i honestly had no idea what the hell he was talking about
(obv i put on game face & blagged it....)
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 07:03:30 AM »

I'm on dictionary tilt here.

What does "meta-game" actually mean?
The article, as far as I could tell, is saying that meta-game is basically synonymous with "tricky shit".

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

I don't even understand the Wikipedia explanation of Meta game.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 10:04:10 AM »

I meta girl once but never meta game.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »

Meta game in regards to poker as I understand it. Is making plays or even saying things which will affect future decisions.

For example in a sng situtions you often get spite calling.

7 handed Blind vs Blind against a reg i will sometimes make a call which is -ev. To stop him pushing any two cards into me constantly, therefore long term i will get some walks in these situations which is +ev for me.

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »

lovely stuff,
yet another phrase i can add to my ever increasing list of unfathomable poker termanology.
i rememeber the first time i met nik persauld down at the gutshot a couple of years back, he was talking about a hand (i know, hard to believe it) & he asked me whether i thought there was much fold equity in it - he may as well have been speaking chinese, i honestly had no idea what the hell he was talking about

just find it highly amusing the thought of someone trying to ask you if there was fold equity in a hand a couple of years back. Fold equity back then for you julian was a simple equation :yoyo raises+still has chips left= he aint folding Wink I always said we were all completely fooked when you learned about fold equity,pot odds and position.

As for metagame theory the perfect example is Julians career. First few years was just setting everyone up with so many -EV plays and now he reaps the benefits with his image.

ariston

better lucky than good
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »

Meta game in regards to poker as I understand it. Is making plays or even saying things which will affect future decisions.

That's what I thought it meant. I feel so much better now.
Giving someone a rubdown might be part of the meta game, or buying someone a drink.

Longy's explanation > that article > not much

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »

7 handed Blind vs Blind against a reg i will sometimes make a call which is -ev. To stop him pushing any two cards into me constantly, therefore long term i will get some walks in these situations which is +ev for me.

Ah OK...thanks mate.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 10:35:58 AM »

lovely stuff,

just find it highly amusing the thought of someone trying to ask you if there was fold equity in a hand a couple of years back. Fold equity back then for you julian was a simple equation :yoyo raises+still has chips left= he aint folding Wink I always said we were all completely fooked when you learned about fold equity,pot odds and position.

As for metagame theory the perfect example is Julians career. First few years was just setting everyone up with so many -EV plays and now he reaps the benefits with his image.

i followed the majority of that up until the -ev bit 
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 10:42:56 AM »

while you are online is there any chance of a blog update? have you won anything worthy of blogging about you lazy git Wink

ariston

better lucky than good
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »

off to dublin this morning for a wedding; they don't have computers over there so that's it put off for another week...
oh & well done in the monkey comp at luton, let's hope it's the start of something beautiful
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 11:18:43 AM »

cheers mate. cu in bolton in a few weeks

ariston

better lucky than good
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »

Ignore meta-game unless you play HU tbh. More important things to focus on @ the table.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 12:52:21 PM »

blonde removing the article is bad form imhumbleO snoops. just coz it aint getting glowing reviews and he does some corporate spiel you remove it.

Carls a decent writer and has had good reviews on here before, why should it be censored? Goes against the blonde ethos i reckon.

very bizarre censorship. can I read the article please?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Grier78
www.AllInOnADraw.com

www.AllInOnADraw.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »

An explanation of Meta-Game:

Simply put the Meta-Game is the game within the game, or more clearly the way the game is played within a certain environment. Examples of environments could include different countries, internet sites or individual poker clubs. The way the game is played in each of these environments may be subtly different, the rules are the same but the styles are not. In one club the game might be very aggressive and full of bluffers, another could be very tight with everyone trying to out slowplay each other. These two clubs could be described as having different Meta-Games.

A poker club populated with a large number of regular locals who do not play on-line will tend to have a very specific Meta, whilst a bigger club with a constant influx of new experienced players might have a much less defined Meta. The evolution of the internet has meant that the sharing of new ideas and styles of play is disseminated amongst a large number of people very quickly. This might mean that a particular move might be very effective initially, such as floating, but once the word gets out everyone starts to include that move as part of their game and others begin to defend against it. This then results in a shift in the Meta-Game.

One clear example of a shift in the Meta-Game is tournament poker prior to everyone reading Harrington and post everyone reading Harrington.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:15:25 PM by Grier78 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: