blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:03:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273469 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ryder Cup
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 19703 times)
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »

Scenario for you Kev

Poulters the last game out on sunday on the last hole he has a put to win or lose the Ryder cup he sinks it we win he misses we lose.Would you want him to make the putt?

NO.

Seriously Huh?

Yes seriously ... to have someone like him (who shouldnt even be in the team) lauded and feted as a hero would seriously stick in my throat.

I rest my case.

PS Exactly which part of "captain's pick" are you struggling to comprehend when you say that Poulter "shouldn't be in the team"?

The part where it was a stitch up and poulter had been picked before the final qualifying event which he didnt bother to play, because faldo had already given him the nod, thus treating 2 Ryder cup heroes in Clarke & Monty with utter disrespect and contempt, thats Faldo's fault, not Poulters. Poulters only crime is being too fucking dim to realise that by not playing the final qualifier he would lose a lot of respect from his team mates.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »

Scenario for you Kev

Poulters the last game out on sunday on the last hole he has a put to win or lose the Ryder cup he sinks it we win he misses we lose.Would you want him to make the putt?

NO.

Seriously Huh?

Yes seriously ... to have someone like him (who shouldnt even be in the team) lauded and feted as a hero would seriously stick in my throat.

I rest my case.

PS Exactly which part of "captain's pick" are you struggling to comprehend when you say that Poulter "shouldn't be in the team"?

The part where it was a stitch up and poulter had been picked before the final qualifying event which he didnt bother to play, because faldo had already given him the nod, thus treating 2 Ryder cup heroes in Clarke & Monty with utter disrespect and contempt, thats Faldo's fault, not Poulters. Poulters only crime is being too fucking dim to realise that by not playing the final qualifier he would lose a lot of respect from his team mates.

I'm afraid that your total disdain for all things Poulter is seriously affecting your thinking Kev.

Qualifying events including the final qualifying event are to establish who qualifies by right, they do not necessarily have an impact on who the captain decides to select as his non-qualified "picks".

Captain's picks are subjective and as such cannot be "right" or "wrong".

It's the same as saying that green is better than purple or even that red and white is better than black and white  Roll Eyes

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »

If he wasnt an @rse fan Ralph, would you stick up for him as much ?

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Pelham Boy

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 07:20:46 PM »

Stenson's initials the only ones not on Faldo's paper, anyone know anything?

He didn't want a sandwich?

"The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the Rock 'n' Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I'm right and you're wrong!" John Peel.
Pelham Boy

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »

You're wrong about Poulter Kev. You say he has made his money by making cuts in 'pie and pea' tournaments,well i believe he has 3 top 30 finishes in this year's majors,including a 2nd in The Open. It's a long time since Darren Clarke has been in contention for a major,he possibly never will be again.
 IF Faldo gave Poulter the nod he was going to be in the team before the last qualifying event,i personally don't see the problem.

As for Monty,his form simply doesn't warrant a place on the team.

"The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the Rock 'n' Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I'm right and you're wrong!" John Peel.
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

Stenson's initials the only ones not on Faldo's paper, anyone know anything?

He didn't want a sandwich?

so funny.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »

If he wasnt an @rse fan Ralph, would you stick up for him as much ?

Kev, I bet on golf quite a lot, more than any other sport probably and Poulter has been a player whom I have followed closely for a number of years and he has been profitable to follow, winning at least one major tourney each year for the last five or six years often at big prices.

Believe it or not I did not even know that he was a Gooner until you started going on about him.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »

I quite like Poulter, he's often quite entertaining imo.

Karabiner, surely he can't be that profitable to follow? 7 wins in 8 years.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »

Is faldo's speech the worst ever Huh?

Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »

Poulet take those aviators off you fud!!!

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 10:44:22 PM »

Top ranked player that didn't qualify automatically.
Has won the Ryder cup before and his half sealed the win.
It's not like he's selected Monty and you can really argue against the inclusion. Gutted not to see Clarke there but we have more chance of winning with Poulter.
chrisbruce

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2008, 10:32:39 AM »

The teams for the morning foursomes are out and I think its already advantage USA. I don't think Faldo has got it right and I think team USA have got it spot on.

I am amazed to see that Europe seem to be favourites in all but the 1st match out and I hope to take advantage of some generous pricing in the betting markets.

Obviously I want Europe to win the Ryder cup but I always bet with my head and not my heart.

Match 1 - Mickelson/Kim v H'ngton/Karlsson -
Karlson is the man on form here and I expect Harrington to handle the pressure situation far better than Mickelson who's form in the Ryder cup is poor. Mickelson is not a good foursomes player and more suited to the risk reward of fourball. 
Verdict - Harrington & Karlson to win  -  2.32

Match 2 - Leonard/Mahan v Stenson/Casey
I don't think this is a good pairing for the Europeans. Casey is out of form and his putting is suspect.
Verdict - Leonard & Mahan to win -  2.66

Match 3 - Cink/Campbell v Rose/Poulter
Rose & Poulter will be worn down by these two who are ultra consistant. To win they will need to get on fire and I cant see it. They should not be favourites in the match.
Cink & Campbell to Win - 2.42

Match 4 -Perry/Furyk v Westwood/Garcia
What a match this is going to be. Perry is playing the golf of his life at nearly 50 and has a brilliant record of getting the job done when the pressure is on. Furyk has recently come back to his best form and when he gets hot. Garcia is for me the best in the world at the moment playing some outstanding golf. Westwood is Mr consistant and if only he could putt. I expect this to be a very close match which is why I am amazed that Europe are the big odds on favourites. I think USA will win what will be a very close match and with favorable odds I will be lumping on
 Perry& Furyk to Win - 2.96 -

Thes are just my opinions and I will happily be shot down if I get it all wrong.

ShatnerPants

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2008, 10:40:28 AM »

I believe Azinger had 4 captains picks, against Faldo's 2.

Maybe we should give the captain ( maybe with a selection committee - discuss ) 4 picks as well.  

I mean, the guys at the tail end of automatic selection won't have won any huge tournaments, they'll just have played regularly, making plenty of cuts.

And there's nothing to stop the captain picking them anyway, if he wants to.  It's not like they'll be excluded from selection.

In this case I'd have got rid of Hansen, and picked Clarke, keeping Wilson.  So it's not a radically different team.  But then it wouldn't be overshadowing the victory we should hopefully be celebrating in a couple of days time.
ShatnerPants

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2008, 10:44:25 AM »

The teams for the morning foursomes are out and I think its already advantage USA. I don't think Faldo has got it right and I think team USA have got it spot on.

I am amazed to see that Europe seem to be favourites in all but the 1st match out and I hope to take advantage of some generous pricing in the betting markets.

Obviously I want Europe to win the Ryder cup but I always bet with my head and not my heart.

Karlson is the man on form here and I expect Harrington to handle the pressure situation far better than Mickelson who's form in the Ryder cup is poor. Mickelson is not a good foursomes player and more suited to the risk reward of fourball. 

I don't think this is a good pairing for the Europeans. Casey is out of form and his putting is suspect.

Rose & Poulter will be worn down by these two who are ultra consistant. To win they will need to get on fire and I cant see it. They should not be favourites in the match.

What a match this is going to be. Perry is playing the golf of his life at nearly 50 and has a brilliant record of getting the job done when the pressure is on. Furyk has recently come back to his best form and when he gets hot. Garcia is for me the best in the world at the moment playing some outstanding golf. Westwood is Mr consistant and if only he could putt. I expect this to be a very close match which is why I am amazed that Europe are the big odds on favourites. I think USA will win what will be a very close match and with favorable odds I will be lumping on

Thes are just my opinions and I will happily be shot down if I get it all wrong.

A few years ago it would have been an automatic choice to put the Scandies together, the Spanish together etc.

It's interesting to see that nowadays the team is so integrated that it doesn't matter any more.

I'm thinking 3-1 to Europe.

But I'll take 2.5 - 1.5
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »

Chris, you seem to be overlooking the fact that the USA have an abysmal record at foursomes over the last decade.

I predict 3.5/0.5 to team Europe after the mornimg's play Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: