blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 09:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Rate My Fry-up...
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 160 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate My Fry-up...  (Read 332925 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: February 18, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »

Needs a bigger plate

That apart, fantastic effort. Great pictures

9/10.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1966 on: February 18, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »

It's black!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:03 PM »

so many efforts are a bit underdone, its great to see a breakfast thats well cooked/crispy where need be

imo

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1968 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »

Plate too small

Bread, nice to be able to cut your own but you obviously can't, one wafer thin the other double doorstep.

Quite a bit of burnage round the egg and still trying to figure out wtf that is in the middle of the raw ingredients.

great effort.

7/10
ruud

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: February 18, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »

Plate too small

Bread, nice to be able to cut your own but you obviously can't, one wafer thin the other double doorstep.

Quite a bit of burnage round the egg and still trying to figure out wtf that is in the middle of the raw ingredients.

great effort.

7/10

Black Pudding sir
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: February 18, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »

And a couple of close-ups to finish:

Click to see full-size image.

All feedback welcomed and appreciated.....

Mouthwateringly good pictures - the sense that this was a winner began with the photo of the ingredients and thread delivered.

Could have been better balanced on the plate with some clear space on one side and bacon hanging over the edge on the other, but that's a minor. Shame about the egg on the lower of the two pictures though, has to cost at least half a mark. Would have overlooked the tomatoes on this occasion but they are right next to the beans!
8.5/10

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: February 18, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »

The all important aerial view:

Please excuse the Sports Direct Mug.... it's the biggest one I have Smiley

What's underneath the fried bread in the first pic?

Just me
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: February 18, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »

Ingredients are cracking and it's all there. Unfortunately you seem to have a total lack of respect with regards to how to cook your food.

6/10

Ah! The element of surprise
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 18, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

Not bad, don't like black pudding and the bottom of the egg is burnt. Happy to see well done meat though, probs 7.5/10
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: February 18, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »

Just took a second look and bread made in a bread maker isn't home made bread btw

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1975 on: February 18, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »

+1 for the choice of papers.
-1 for cremating some of your ingredients
+1 for utilising the free-gift from Sports Direct as it is an industrial-sized mug
-1 for rationing the orange juice (glass is half-empty unfortunately)
-1 for letting the missus choose the plates
+1 for the table

Overall 7.5/10 - very good effort

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
ruud

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: February 18, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »

The all important aerial view:

Please excuse the Sports Direct Mug.... it's the biggest one I have Smiley

What's underneath the fried bread in the first pic?

Just another piece of bread... though, and here's a little confession.... it isn't fried bread, it's eggy bread. Obv still fried, just dunked in egg first Smiley

scores may change now I fear
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:00:44 PM by ruud » Logged
ruud

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: February 18, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »

Just took a second look and bread made in a bread maker isn't home made bread btw

But is slightly better than just another loaf of hovis* surely?

*other breads are available*
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: February 18, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »

Just the breakfast:

Great first effort, I'm certain that with a few tweaks you could be fry up champion one day.

Positives

Eggs - excellent, using lard as an alternative may be worth a try but still a very good attempt.
Bacon - possibly the best bacon we've seen so far, superbly sourced & cooked well.

Negatives

Sausages - so close to going in the positive section due to the clear quality but you've struggled with an area I've had some serious issues with - luckily I'm happy to pass on a little trick that will really help you get the perfect sausage.  Use more oil/lard.  If you use a separate frying pan for the sausages & cook them over a medium/high heat with the fat (ideally lard) covering 1/3 to 1/2 of the sausage.  It takes a little bit of tweaking but should result in an evenly cooked sausage as the heat is distributed over a larger surface area so wont just focus on the part of the meat that is touching the hot pan - once nicely browned you can always keep them in the oven to keep them hot & ensure they are cooked right through.
Hash browns - undercooked & can be excluded, replace with fried bread &  possibly more beans?

Areas for Improvement

Beans - Branston > Heinz - a thicker richer & more flavoursome sauce & although I feel you may have overcooked them making them appear too dry with practice your timings will improve - Heinz are easier to cook as they have too much sauce so its almost impossible to overcook them however i believe you are building your breakfast on top quality so don't take short cuts & compromise on this key area.  Prob include a few more IMO but not something that is vital & generally depends on individual taste.
Mushrooms - yet again the quality shines through, i would prefer to leave them whole as they look better but more importantly retain a little more moisture which I prefer.
Black pudding - don't get these from the butcher unless they have better options.  If you can find a bigger black pudding it should hold together better as it looks like it has been overcooked here & begun to fall apart.  This is a minor issue though that i think you can improve with minimal effort.
Bread - use a spreadable butter & take it out of the fridge the night before will ensure you can get loads on & everybody will love it!
Fried bread - use more oil so you get a more evenly cooked end product, like the sausage tip earlier.
Brown Sauce - where is it, tomato sauce is for burgers not breakfast... just include it & stop making the breakfast how you like it, its for us not you.

Summary

Great first effort, with tweaks you can make the perfect breakfast I'm almost certain of it, for now you are 6.72/10 - this is a superb score for a first attempt & I'm proud of you.  Practice makes perfect, I'm happy to discuss further on skype - apologies for the delay in posting I've just got back from amsterdam & havent read anything other than the first few replies to your post.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1979 on: February 18, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

Just the breakfast:

Great first effort, I'm certain that with a few tweaks you could be fry up champion one day.

Positives

Eggs - excellent, using lard as an alternative may be worth a try but still a very good attempt.
Bacon - possibly the best bacon we've seen so far, superbly sourced & cooked well.

Negatives

Sausages - so close to going in the positive section due to the clear quality but you've struggled with an area I've had some serious issues with - luckily I'm happy to pass on a little trick that will really help you get the perfect sausage.  Use more oil/lard.  If you use a separate frying pan for the sausages & cook them over a medium/high heat with the fat (ideally lard) covering 1/3 to 1/2 of the sausage.  It takes a little bit of tweaking but should result in an evenly cooked sausage as the heat is distributed over a larger surface area so wont just focus on the part of the meat that is touching the hot pan - once nicely browned you can always keep them in the oven to keep them hot & ensure they are cooked right through.
Hash browns - undercooked & can be excluded, replace with fried bread &  possibly more beans?

Areas for Improvement

Beans - Branston > Heinz - a thicker richer & more flavoursome sauce & although I feel you may have overcooked them making them appear too dry with practice your timings will improve - Heinz are easier to cook as they have too much sauce so its almost impossible to overcook them however i believe you are building your breakfast on top quality so don't take short cuts & compromise on this key area.  Prob include a few more IMO but not something that is vital & generally depends on individual taste.
Mushrooms - yet again the quality shines through, i would prefer to leave them whole as they look better but more importantly retain a little more moisture which I prefer.
Black pudding - don't get these from the butcher unless they have better options.  If you can find a bigger black pudding it should hold together better as it looks like it has been overcooked here & begun to fall apart.  This is a minor issue though that i think you can improve with minimal effort.
Bread - use a spreadable butter & take it out of the fridge the night before will ensure you can get loads on & everybody will love it!
Fried bread - use more oil so you get a more evenly cooked end product, like the sausage tip earlier.
Brown Sauce - where is it, tomato sauce is for burgers not breakfast... just include it & stop making the breakfast how you like it, its for us not you.

Summary

Great first effort, with tweaks you can make the perfect breakfast I'm almost certain of it, for now you are 6.72/10 - this is a superb score for a first attempt & I'm proud of you.  Practice makes perfect, I'm happy to discuss further on skype - apologies for the delay in posting I've just got back from amsterdam & havent read anything other than the first few replies to your post.

Top summary pennage

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 160 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: