blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  A Question on Fold Equity
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Question on Fold Equity  (Read 2557 times)
T_Mar

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »

Apologies if this is basic, but something I read today threw me on what I perceived FE to mean.. This is taken from a respected 2+2er giving some examples of when to check raise from the blinds when you should have FE, he has been talking about the squeeze play and continues as follows... (This is 6 Max NL cash btw)

"Also you should see an increase in success of these types of plays in multiway pots.

So say for example you have been really going after a guy preflop and decide not to squeeze
so you overcall something like A5s. The flop comes 732r, you check, the PFR cbet, whoever
called preflop comes along. You should c/r this spot, you have assumable backdoor flush
outs, an overcard, and a gutshot. Not to mention a ton of fold equity, and it appears as though
you must have a huge hand because you just c/r'd a particularly dry board into two players.

The risk you run is the overcaller having a set on this board, however this is unlikely and in
the event that he does we should have a little bit of equity (FWIW it's a c/r, fold to 3bet, we
obviously don't want to put our money in with ace high and a gutshot)."

Its the last part that has me slightly confused.. Why do we need to have a hand with equity to make this play - Either the player has it and will shove/call and try to get in on the turn, or doesn't have it and fold... which I agree will prob happen the majority of the time... In that case cant we just make this play with atc?  If we fold when he 3bets aren't we giving up the equity we have in the hand.. I can see we not going to want to get it in here as we likely crushed, but doesn't that make our equity meaningless?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:05:43 PM by T_Mar » Logged
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »

I do hope someone with the knowledge answers this.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:23:55 PM »

I understand the concepts of this hand and how it might work in certain situations vrs thinking players but u have to rely on the oppo being semi decent. In my humble experiences in the games i play the fish rarely fold a pr
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:17:01 AM by Amatay » Logged

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »

The point is when he flats with a set you can still spike a 4 for a str8 or turn a flush draw that might be cheap enough to get paid for a full buyin.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
T_Mar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:33:08 AM »

I understand this now I think - In theory we should get enough folds here to make it profitable.. the times we get cold called as flushy says we can still improve to win, and the very few times w are crushed when he ships it in we can fold.. The key to this is getting enough folds, so got to pick your oppo's carefully me thinks...

Cheers for responses
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: