blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 ... 175 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....  (Read 345894 times)
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: November 01, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »

I think we could get 7th also, no better, but 7th is possible with the start we've had. Not inc the top 6, who is much better than us ?

I very rarely agree with Pads, ldo, but it's bs to just say we've won easy games, Sunderland away is not an easy game, neither is Stoke, we where also very unlucky not to beat Villa away, Given had one of his games. Yes we are overachieving, yes we are having some luck, but Pardew and the team deserve credit for what they've done this season, our defensive record is insanely good. I've watched nearly every game this season, they only game we have been poor in was QPR, other than that we've played very well. We have some week spots in the team but Cabaye and Tiote are both top class players imo, Krul looks like his time has come, Collocini is a quality defender and Ba is on a roll that could last a while.

As I said at the start of the season though, once we get injuries, which we will, it's gg.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 01, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »

We have Guthire, Gosling, WIlliamson, Ben Arfa, Marveux, Shola, Sammy all  to come in remember.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 01, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »

We have Guthire, Gosling, WIlliamson, Ben Arfa, Marveux, Shola, Sammy all  to come in remember.

Ben Arfa will be a 1st team player soon I hope, think he needs to play the VDV role though as Pardew doesn't want him out wide and he isn't getting a game in CM.
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »

I also think you will strengthen in January. French press have been reporting it's a done deal for that striker you tried to sign in the Summer.
Not seen him much but Chatty man's dad is on fire with his finds at the moment.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 01, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »

Ben Arfa will be a 1st team player soon I hope, think he needs to play the VDV role though as Pardew doesn't want him out wide and he isn't getting a game in CM.

Sure is getting anywhere near Besty atm.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 01, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »

post from another forum;

By just browsing the tables from the past 5 or 6 seasons, it seems that roughly 60 points is the target if you want to get 7th, which I think is a realistic, if slightly ambitious, target for us.

I think we'll be competing with teams like Everton, Sunderland and Villa, so I'll be tracking their results here as well.

Anyway, what I'm going to track is basically the actual points a team gets vs the expected points the team is supposed to get. I think the Premiership table at certain points of the season doesn't tell the full picture. Many times, teams that have good or bad starts only do so because the quality of the opposition, and it's not a true reflection of the quality of the team, so if you know how you're performing against how you're supposed to perform, then it can be comforting (or not). Chelsea, for example, started last season very well because they faced quite a lot of s*** teams.

Anyway, to get 58 points in a season - why 58? because the formula works better - you can lose all your matches against the top 6 away from home and draw against them at home. That gives you 6 expected points from 12 matches.

Then against everyone else, you're expected to win all your home games and draw all your away games, which is (13x3 + 13x1) = 52.

52 + 6 = 58. If any of Villa, Everton, Sunderland or us gets 58 points, I think that it'd be good enough for 7th place.

So, so far, we got one point against Arsenal, which was expected. Villa got a point away at Fulham, which was expected, Everton haven't played, while Sunderland actually got a point away at Liverpool, which is one more than was expected for them. Bolton won away from home, so they're at +2, Stoke got a point at home against a top 6 team so they're at 0.

Season: Up to Gameweek 10
Newcastle (+6)
Stoke (-1)
Everton (-3)
West Brom (-4)
Sunderland, Bolton (-6)
Villa (-7)
Fulham (-8)

August results - GW 1 to 3
Newcastle, Stoke (+2)
Bolton (+1)
Everton (-1)
Sunderland, Villa (-2)
Fulham, West Brom (-4)

Actual Table after August
Newcastle (7)
Stoke, Villa (5)
Bolton, Everton (3)
Sunderland (2)
Fulham (1)
West Brom (0)

Even though West Brom have zero points so far, they are actually all right because of the tough set of fixtures that they've had - edit, actually they've had a real s*** run to start the season, they're already -4 behind the target. We're top of this little table so far, and doing better than we're expected to do. And although Bolton have only three points, they're still only one behind what they're expected to do, so they have some easy fixtures to come. It's still early doors so neither table is settled, but it gives a good indicator of the difficulty of the early fixtures so far, with Fulham having a completely miserable start to the season.

September results - GW 4 to 6
Stoke (+1)
Newcastle (0)
West Brom (-1)
Everton, Villa, Sunderland, Fulham (-2)
Bolton (-4)

Actual table after September
Newcastle (12)
Stoke (9)
Villa (Cool
Everton (7)
Sunderland (5)
West Brom, Fulham (4)
Bolton (3)

We did well in September. We held our own, got the points that we were supposed to get and won the match that we needed to win, so we're still +2 in the table. Stoke had another good month, playing a few tough fixtures and getting one more point than expected. Even though they're 3 behind us in the actual table, they will have a bunch of easier fixtures. Comparing us and Everton is actually pretty interesting because they're actually 5 behind us in the actual table and in the expected table. At this point, both teams were expected to get 10 points, but Everton have only 7 while we have 12. So our 'ead over them is a strong lead which hasn't been boosted by easy fixtures. Looking ahead to GW 11, they're expected to get 1 point at home to Liverpool while we're expected to get 1 point away to Wolves. Both relatively difficult fixtures, but hopefully we come out with two more points from this weekend. Bolton had a miserable month but they've had many difficult fixtures so they will have the opportunity to make up the points in the actual table. They are interestingly tied with Everton in the expected table, which shows how tough their opening fixtures have been, although September was brutal for them. Fulham and West Brom have both had horrible starts, backed up by the actual table and the expected table.

October results - GW 7 to 10
Newcastle (+4)
West Brom (+1)
Everton (0)
Sunderland, Fulham (-2)
Bolton (-3)
Villa (-3)
Stoke (-4)

Actual table after October results
Newcastle (22)
Villa, Stoke (12)
West Brom (11)
Everton, Fulham, Sunderland (10)
Bolton (6)

It was a brilliant month for us. +4 is amazing, with the two away wins doing the job for us. We're flying high in this projected table and in the actual table as well. There's not much to say about us, really. Villa continue to drop easy points and now their position in the actual table is starting to reflect the amount of points that they've dropped so far. They also have a lot of difficult fixtures coming up so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up near 15th by the halfway stage of the season. Most of the other teams did ok this month, and of course the fact that most teams dropped behind the target isn't a surprise since it's expected that only one team will come near 58 points.

Looking ahead, November is actually a pretty chilled month for us because we aren't expected to pick up that many points, but the Everton match is actually crucial because a loss will mean a 5 point swing; -3 for us, +2 for them, so hopefully we can win and have a lead of 10 points in the expected table, and 15 points in the real table.

I think it's also pretty noteworthy that we are +6 overall if we're targeting 7th, but we're +2 if we're targeting 4th (70 points - win all your home games, draw away against everyone but the top 6), and interestingly Liverpool are at 0 if they're targeting 4th. Wink It's just something that I don't think many expected before the start of the season.

relaedgc

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 01, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »

Liverpool spent no where close to £100m, once you consider how much we made in selling Torres et all. What was made was simply re-invested to create a younger squad with an eye to the future.

I don't think they've been particular poor, but they are vulnerable defensively (which seems to be a weakness effecting everyone except Newcastle in the top half of the Prem). Norwich had their goal barraged and were fortunate to survive without conceding given the plethora of chances. Bad finishing, in essence.

Newcastle? Fantastic performance all round yet no one is going to seriously sit up and pay attention until you spank United 3-0 at Old Trafford. Please do.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:44:13 PM by relaedgc » Logged

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 01, 2011, 06:04:34 PM »

Newcastle? Fantastic performance all round yet no one is going to seriously sit up and pay attention until you spank United 3-0 at Old Trafford. Please do.

have to beat Man City and make sure we're the only unbeaten team in the Prem first Wink

which we will ldo.

Made a bet with some people before Wigan game that from Stoke, Everton, Citeh, Utd, Chelski and Norwich we'd get more than 7 points.

After stoke game, people wanting to buy out.

Complete dream world atm though and it won't last, but I'm going to enjoy it whilst it does!
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 01, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »

Genuine question as I´m interested in a few of the other teams (Everton, West Brom and Fulham) in the betting without the top 6 market. Is there any reason why Ashley won´t be continuing with the asset stripping policy during the January transfer window?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:54:21 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 01, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »

Genuine question as I´m interested in a few of the other teams (Everton, West Brom and Fulham) in the betting without the top 6 market. Is there any reason why Ashley won´t be continuing with the asset stripping policy during the January transfer window?

Everyone at the club has a price, that is for sure.
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »

What is the asset stripping that people talk about? Since being promoted I can't think of a bad deal they have made.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 01, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »

Agreed, almost every deal has been phenominally good. Literally every one.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 01, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »

Agreed, almost every deal has been phenominally good. Literally every one.

Agreed if your goal is profit maximisation.  Most supporters prefer trophy maximisation.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »

What is the asset stripping that people talk about? Since being promoted I can't think of a bad deal they have made.

Might well just be a bad turn of phrase from me, I had "cashing in" at first but edited it out as it didn´t sound right. I´m just trying to get a feel for the likelihood of someone like Coloccini being sold in January and not properly replaced.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 01, 2011, 08:19:25 PM »

Might well just be a bad turn of phrase from me, I had "cashing in" at first but edited it out as it didn´t sound right. I´m just trying to get a feel for the likelihood of someone like Coloccini being sold in January and not properly replaced.

A little while ago there was take of a new contract made and Colo wants to stay so hopefully that will happen, I don't see anyone else leaving in January, Tiote is away for African Nations so doubt anything will happen there.

Other than Barton leaving for free and Enrique, where there was nothing they could do about it, there hasn't been any outgoings that have been wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 ... 175 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: