blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:36:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272607 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 ... 175 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....  (Read 345845 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: December 30, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »

Pardew has done an awful job with the resources at his disposal.

Blue text
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: December 30, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »

I'm not sure why people get fixated by a particular point in history when looking at who is bigger than who.  The concept of "big club" must be looked at over a longer period, and also consider potential.

If Newcastle as an area became more affluent in the future, and if they had the same success on the pitch, they would make more money in matchday income than Chelsea.  At the send of the day they have a bigger fanbase.

Chelsea make more money at the moment.  But I'm not sure that is any more relevant than us looking at 1981 matchday income before Ken Bates bought them for £1.  

Because you weren't talking about who was the biggest you were talking about who is the biggest.

If Newcastle became the biggest club at some point in the future, then I would happily say they are now the biggest, and it wouldn't make any difference that Chelsea were once 3 times as big.  Things change, history doesn't mean an awful lot.  Given how succesful Man U have been over the years, then there is no reason this can't ever happen.

But that is my point.  For me "big club" means potential as well as history.  It's not just a current point in time.   I think Newcastle have bigger potential than Chelsea do.   When Watford were smashing up the top league I didn't think they were bigger than Aston Villa or Wolves or whoever was languishing at the time.

You may of course have a different point of reference when discussing "big club".  When this topic comes up people always have different ways of looking at it.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: December 30, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »

Pardew has done an awful job with the resources at his disposal.

No axe to grind either way, but viewed as a neutral I completely disagree

criticise the style, the tactics, the PR whatever but to be top half on net amount spent is one heck of an achievement

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: December 30, 2014, 04:02:32 PM »

I don't think they current set up at Newcastle will allow much more achievement than is currently the case.   Pardew has done about par I would say.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: December 30, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »

top half, on a budget nowhere near some other teams. Obviously done a great job under enormous and often unfair pressure

i know he's rubbed you up the wrong way, tactics and selections have you scratching your heads, but in the cold light of day it doesn't reflect well that he's leaving for a smaller club

Tighty has it spot on.

Most neutrals agree with this.

Unfortunately football fans get so emotional involved their judgement becomes clouded, especially when it comes to their own club.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: December 30, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »

Maybe it's the non football stuff or the style of football, but at a neutral I'd be pretty underwhelmed if Watford ever appointment Pardew.

If I were a Newcastle fan, I'd be happy that he is gone I think.  Can't really put my finger on it, because on the paper the naked results do show him in a favourable light.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: December 30, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »

In 2014 parses managed to get 36 points? Relegation form. If we hadn't fluked that run of 5 games this week then we would be absolutely fucked. And pardew knows fine well how poor he's been and how lucky he's been. Do you think he'd really leave us for palace? This year sackpardew.com website identified all of his flaws and he knows he is in borrowed time.

Luckily Ashley was shrewd enough to get this huge contract and maki is a break even team so the press tell everybody what a good job he's done then somebody pay us 2.5m to take him away!

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 30, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »

Maybe it's the non football stuff or the style of football, but at a neutral I'd be pretty underwhelmed if Watford ever appointment Pardew.

If I were a Newcastle fan, I'd be happy that he is gone I think.  Can't really put my finger on it, because on the paper the naked results do show him in a favourable light.

I agree with this. Suppose it is easier for those not emotionally involved in it to just take a league position/budget and not be upset by all the flim-flam that has gone on around the club under his stewardship

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »

In 2014 parses managed to get 36 points? Relegation form. If we hadn't fluked that run of 5 games this week then we would be absolutely fucked. And pardew knows fine well how poor he's been and how lucky he's been. Do you think he'd really leave us for palace? This year sackpardew.com website identified all of his flaws and he knows he is in borrowed time.

Luckily Ashley was shrewd enough to get this huge contract and maki is a break even team so the press tell everybody what a good job he's done then somebody pay us 2.5m to take him away!

Sounds like he's doubling his salary.

Most mortals would be taking it in a shot and not be too worried how big their employer is.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 30, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »

Good results? Really?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30620617

That's this year. And were it not for the fluke 5 game run we'd be at or next to bottom there.

He seems to get a free pass for "but you finished 5th!". No-one ever seems to mention how he almost relegated us the season after.

Blue text
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: December 30, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »

Good results? Really?

That's this year. And were it not for the fluke 5 game run we'd be at or next to bottom there.

He seems to get a free pass for "but you finished 5th!". No-one ever seems to mention how he almost relegated us the season after.

Not to mention the worst goal difference, constant thrashing a, worst ever Derby runs etc etc

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: December 30, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »

Good results? Really?

why is a 5 game run a fluke?

its 5 wins, in a tough league, 5 in a row is an achievement

we can take 5 wins off 12 teams in the league and say they'd be bottom 3

you are completely blinkered on the whole subject Charles, not as harsh as it sounds as you are a passionate fan, which i respect

who do you want next?

My eyes are open wide
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: December 30, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »

Pardew is a below average manager

He thinks he is a top 4 manager in his own head anyway

Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: December 30, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »

Good results? Really?

why is a 5 game run a fluke?

its 5 wins, in a tough league, 5 in a row is an achievement

we can take 5 wins off 12 teams in the league and say they'd be bottom 3

you are completely blinkered on the whole subject Charles, not as harsh as it sounds as you are a passionate fan, which i respect

who do you want next?

I class them as a fluke because we suffered injuries which meant he was forced to change the team and play some youngsters and gosh maybe play some palyers in their right position (e.g. sissoko who is now being linked with Arsenal was played on right wing all last season).

Pardew goes on little runs when he stumbles into situations like this. You'd think he would learn from them. But no, he will always revert to type.

As for who? Quite a few people I'd be happy with. I imagine we'll be going abroad. Galtier and De Boer keep getting mentioned. Happy with them. Hope we don't go near Bruce.

Could we end up with someone worse than Pardew? Absolutely. But just because there's a chance something might go wrong doesn't mean you should settle for mediocrity. Everyone who keeps saying better the devil you know really pisses me off.

Blue text
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: December 30, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

I don't rate Pardew but considering the circumstances he has to work in he's done well. Spose we will find out how good he is/was based on how his successor does with the same team

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 ... 175 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: