blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:37:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 235716 times)
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: April 01, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »

Are you back training again Mr Boshi? Hows the sell out to barefoot running going?  Wink

I have just been looking at a races to put on this years calendar, the only one I had lined up Mount Blanc Marathon is full, so I have found this gem...

http://beyondmarathon.com/wordpress/dusktildawn/

The name, the area and the timings look like a winner to me.

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #991 on: April 01, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »

That looks like a cracker!  Won't be able to do it this year (obviously), but would fancy a go at it next year.  You up for that?

I've not been running much for a little over a month now, since I injured my ankle.  It's on the mend now, and did 5 miles mid-week and 8 miles today.  Wasn't easy though, and ankle ached a little but no pain.  So guess it's just a case of building the strength up again gradually.  Not an ideal time to be trying out new shoes, so I went out in my road shoes today, as the ground is solid at the moment anyway on the trails.

(How did you get on in the comp yesterday?)

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kano

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 01, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, better get to bed. 

how did it go?

Pretty well gatso, finished it in 1h39m. The last couple of miles were a struggle, but I got there in the end. I use a Nike+ chip to track distance/pace, but when I finished it had me clocked a full mile over the course distance? Is this because it tracks footsteps/the route I took personally or are these things not very accurate?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #993 on: April 01, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »

Very good time.

I guess the things that measure your distance using just the number of steps you take could be inaccurate, but a mile is quite a bit out! The GPS watches are very accurate I've found, gatso will probably say the same about his.

Got any other runs planned?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 01, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »

can guarantee you didn't go a mile over on a hm unless you actually went off course

once you've calibrated the foot pod it'll only be accurate if you never alter your stride length so basically it'll never be accurate. this is why nike have relented and finally released a nike+gps

nice time though, well done

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 08, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »

Reminds me, still got to post my thoughts on that book.

'Bout time I got round to this.

The book in question is 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall.  I'm going to do the review in reverse, starting with my conclusion and then explaining it afterwards. 

I'd give the book 6/10 (maybe 6.5 at a push).  The subject matter is one that fascinates me, and the over-riding concept that man evolved to run,both long and short distances, (the idea of man evolving to 'persistence hunt' is an intriguing theory that seems to hold a lot of merit and I'm reading other sources now that go into this idea in more scientific detail), and that most running shoes actually prevent people from running correctly (ultimately resulting in injuries).   I'm with the author on this and am delighted to see that the book (and others who have been promoting a more 'natural' style of running) has started a popular move towards running shoes that promote this natural-style of running. More on that later.

He tells some interesting stories about some ultra-marathon races, which although highly exaggerated in places, are a good read.  His tendency to exaggerate and resort to hyperbole is the downfall of the book, and I think that's his writing style.  Some of the stuff he talks about is so interesting and absorbing that it doesn't need the 'bullshit' (for want of a better word) that he applies in numerous layers.

The book is a slow starter, but eventually gets more readable.  He focuses a lot of the book on the Tarahumara tribe in Mexico.  A lot of their culture sits around their running, and with their ability to run very quickly over long distances, in very harsh terrain the author asserts that they are the best runners in the world.  This might well be the case, but he then starts to go on about their utopian way of life, and about their amazing life-expectancy, crime-free society, etc.  I've since read up on the Tarahumara, and the author left quite a lot out in his glowing prose, as one reviewer said "the parts about the Tarahumara people was another example of outsiders glorifying one portion of a peoples' lives and ignoring or not reporting correctly the rest. "  Apparently, many of the Tarahumara live in abject poverty and the claims he makes about their life-expectancy are massively exaggerated.  The sub-title to the book "A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" shows where he's coming from on this.  It's a shame he goes so far in his veneration of the Tarahumara, as a respect for their customs and cultures and of course, their amazing long-distance running capabilities would be enough.  It doesn't need the bullshit, and I found myself having to take everything he was saying with a large helping of scepticism - rather than being able to accept a lot of what he says as factual.  He even mentions something that happened in a World Chess Championship between Kasparov and Karpov - and gets that wrong through his need to exaggerate and fabricate the facts in order to make a stronger point (which when you know it's factually incorrect means you then question everything else he says).

The book is also written from a very American view-point (which is fine of course, as the author is American), but it grated in parts for me.

So, all-in-all it's a subject matter that I could read lots more about quite happily, but without the unnecessary bullshit this author felt was needed to make it more of a compelling story. For me it achieved the opposite.

caballo blanco found dead Sad http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_20298068

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 08, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »

Such unhappy news, for me Micah True's story of running is the most romantic journey of all.

I try to adopt some of the principles the 'White horse' lived by. Was not planning on a run today following a longish training run yesterday, but will squeeze one in as a celebration of the story!

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 08, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »

anyone fancy a day of running in london on june 24th? we'll be doing 7x5k races at various locations around north and east london

http://www.parkrun.com/crispy/longestparkrun

they've done it the last 2 years in south london and will be doing it again at the same locations while we'll be doing ally pally, finsbury park, highbury fields, hackney marshes, mile end, wanstead flats and valentines park

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 18, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »

switching threads as there's no point completely derailing the berlin one when we can talk bollocks over here

kin, what's your opinion on sports massage. pretty sure there've been no studies that have proved its efficacy yet I would guess that somewhere between 100% and 100% of elite runners worldwide at all distances use it

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #999 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »

Sports massage has a lot of 'proven' science behind it. Definitely beneficial in many circumstances. Can be counter-productive if done at the wrong time or done incorrectly though.

As an aside, lots of sports people wear powerbands or use that kine-whatsit tape, and they have been shown not to work (beyond a placebo effect). Lots also pray before their event...

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1000 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »

My ankle still isn't 100%, and it's bloody annoying. So if anyone knows any witchcraft I can use to heal it more rapidly that'd be grand. Blood of virgin, or piss of newt, that sort of thing.

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1001 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:05 PM »

My ankle still isn't 100%, and it's bloody annoying.

So is the fecking rest of you tbf.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1002 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:40 PM »

Cheesy

True!

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 18, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »

just coz i literally laughed out loud doesn't mean I agree.  necessarily.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 18, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: