blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 234654 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »

Good luck Dan, I will be following this and wish you well in your efforts.

3:45 is a reasonable time for a recreational runner and there will be a few here who don't understand what it takes to get to the 3 hr level.

Will check the site and deposit shortly.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »

Tomorrow?  TOMORROW?!  Get yer arse out there this minute and start running la lazy git.  Run Forrest..... RUN!!!!

I prefer to run in the morning for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I'm usually knackered and hungry when I get home from work - not physically exhausted (as I sit at a desk all day), but ready to sit down, have my tea and relax.  By the time I've eaten it's too late to go out and run, even if I wanted to.  The second reason is that I like running in the morning.  There are far fewer people about, maybe the occasional dog walker, people on the way to work (or coming home from the night-shift).  It means I get the paths to myself most of the time.  It's difficult to drag my semi-concious body out of bed when the alarm goes off, but once I'm out the door and have done my first mile, I feel good and actually enjoy the run (enjoy is a relative term here).  Also, the feeling of getting back getting in the shower and thinking that I've already achieved something for the day is a good one.  Someone (I think it was Snatty) commented on another thread that there's no feeling quite like aches you get after you've done some exercise - and it's so true.   

Anyway, I was inspired by people's comments and by the thread so decided to increase my milegage (for a mid-week run), and did 8 miles this morning.  Felt comfortable, although I was running at 8m20s/mile pace - so that'll have to improve.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »

there will be a few here who don't understand what it takes to get to the 3 hr level.

There's a few that can't understand what it takes to get to the 5 hour level Cheesy

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 12:20:18 PM »

there will be a few here who don't understand what it takes to get to the 3 hr level.

There's a few that can't understand what it takes to get to the 5 hour level Cheesy

No matter how unfit people think they are, they can run a marathon.  It's all about putting in the miles in training.  When I first decided to run, I couldn't do much more than 5 or so minutes without having to walk or slow right down.  I gradually increased this to ten and twenty minutes, and after a few months it was a LOT easier. 

I know a few people who run/walk marathons.  They still do decent times (one does it in less than 3hrs 30m, but he does the running bit pretty fast Cheesy). 

At the end of the day, the time taken is a personal thing.  Unless you're Heile Gebreselassie or Paula Radcliffe, there's always someone who can run it faster than you.  It's funny though, when you tell someone you've run a marathon the first thing they usually say is "What time did you do it in?"  You could say 2hrs or 6hrs, and they wouldn't know the difference - but I guess it's the most natural thing for people to say, rather than "how did it go?", or "did you run a PB?" or something like that.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »

Hours we'll never get back after going through that hell... an important bit of info.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 01:01:08 PM »

All the best in this Dan.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 01:06:48 PM »

Good luck Bosher. good move to avoid the treadmill - it's no preparation for the joints and outdoor conditions that you'll face when running an outdoor marathon.

Will sponsor you soon. Maybe next time I see you at DTD everything I take off you in the cash game can go to to your charity.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 01:13:19 PM »

I used to live & work in Greenwich & those marathon runners were just a bunch of skinny troublemakers  Wink

Will you be wearing some sort of animal costume?  Grin

Good Luck Kin

LOL @ the animal costume!  It'll be hard enough in my human costume.  Those that run as bloody rhinos are mad.  Those outfits aren't light, and it must get unbelievably hot in there as well.

Nope, I'll be travelling light.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 01:13:58 PM »

All the best in this Dan.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »

Good luck Bosher. good move to avoid the treadmill - it's no preparation for the joints and outdoor conditions that you'll face when running an outdoor marathon.

Will sponsor you soon. Maybe next time I see you at DTD everything I take off you in the cash game can go to to your charity.

What, I have to wait until the next Greek fest?  The marathon's in bloody April!

Just get on there and sponsor me now!  Don't slowroll me!

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »

p.s. I assume you will wet yourself whilst running this thing...it seems to be standard.

Extra £20 in it for you if you do a Radcliffe.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »

p.s. I assume you will wet yourself whilst running this thing...it seems to be standard.

How much for a No.2?

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »

How much for a No.2?

I thought Radcliffe did a Nr2...

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »

How much for a No.2?

She's done both.  You post was ambiguous as to what a 'Radcliffe' was.

It could have meant:

1.  a No.1
2.  a No.2
3.  break all the world records/world bests for every distance over half-marathon.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »

How much for a No.2?

She's done both.  You post was ambiguous as to what a 'Radcliffe' was.

It could have meant:

1.  a No.1
2.  a No.2
3.  break all the world records/world bests for every distance over half-marathon.

Well

1; I assumed was included in the sponsorship
3; Since Paula Radcliffe is the fastest girl in the world over long distances you can only hope to be the second fastest.

so that leaves Nr2 for the £20.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: