blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:00:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 235730 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

So I'm going to fill the problem areas to stop this from happening.

What will you use to fill them Kin?

Sealant if it stays put, if not, I'll cut some foam from the mid-sole from an old pair of running shoes that I've got and super-glue them into the offending holes.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2009, 08:58:36 PM »

Sounds like its all starting to go well. I really need to get back out. I feel so tence and tired when I cant/dont run. I have only run twice since Xmas day, back pain has prevented any more. The pain has gone down recently and I have physio on thursday to hopefully get rid once and for all.

Your running stuff sounds similar to mine, but I struggle with the cold legs! I wear some football socks, but they have soft padded soles, I try to get them as high as T Henry as possible! I guess once I get back up to 13 miles runs I might have to revisit that. I have a pair of quite long shorts that I got in vegas in 2005, they are the only thing I feel comfrtable in, god knows what I'll do when they go, another trip to vegas perhaps!

The technical tops are unbelievable. an absolute must. I have two short sleeve adidas ones and two long sleep nike ones. I was tempted by the under armour one but I think that looks a little too thick! Over the top of that I wear my 2008 London marathon reject jacket!

Good luck with the rest of this and give me a nudge come april for some sponsorship.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »

Had my last 'weekend off' from running last weekend at the APAT in Walsall.  It will also be the last drinking session before London.  I wisely decided not to run on Monday morning, and on Tuesday I did a 5-mile run, but at a decent pace (7hrs 35mins).  Yesterday I did an 8-mile run and was surprised that I did that @ 7hrs 45min pace.  So obviously the training is helping and there are tangible signs of improvement.  The running is definitely getting easier.  Nearly fun.

I think I'm going to do a half-marathon training run on Sunday.  Playing hockey on Saturday, and that always takes a lot out of me, but hopefully I should have enough in the tank. 

I didn't mind running in the snow, but I'm not keen on sheet ice on the roads and paths.  Roll on the milder weather (but not too warm please).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2009, 04:12:42 PM »

Just caught up with this kin all the best with it gogogogogo

call me tight but we already do a monthly DD to nspcc so unless i get a big winski ill have to opt out of this 1 Gl ne way
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »

Just caught up with this kin all the best with it gogogogogo

call me tight but we already do a monthly DD to nspcc so unless i get a big winski ill have to opt out of this 1 Gl ne way

No problem tight-arse fella. If you're already giving, you're giving. 

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »

Have you ever tried this running on caffeine thing? After reading runners world talk about it a few times (helping with muscle contraction or something) I thought I'd give it a shot this morning. A quick can of red bull whilst waiting for the GPS to sort itself out and I was away. Managed a comfortable 7.5 mile run on an empty stomach @ 8 minute miles. to be fair my lack of running means I dont have too much relevant stuff to compare it against results wise, it just felt a lot more comfortable than I expected, especially given the lack of food.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2009, 06:12:24 PM »

Have you ever tried this running on caffeine thing? After reading runners world talk about it a few times (helping with muscle contraction or something) I thought I'd give it a shot this morning. A quick can of red bull whilst waiting for the GPS to sort itself out and I was away. Managed a comfortable 7.5 mile run on an empty stomach @ 8 minute miles. to be fair my lack of running means I dont have too much relevant stuff to compare it against results wise, it just felt a lot more comfortable than I expected, especially given the lack of food.

It's worth a shot I guess.  I will try it, and if it works I'll be using it before any races.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »

Still not tried the Red Bull pre-run stimulation yet - but might give it a go tomorrow.

This week's been interesting.  I had two hockey matches this weekend (Sunday's was a rearranged match from a frozen weekend).  So I didn't run on Monday, but put in an 8-mile run on both Tuesday and Wednesday.  Wednesday my legs felt very heavy and tired.  I only managed to do 8 min/mile pace, and it was hard work. So this morning, I thought I'd reduce the distance and try and put in a fast run.  I did 4 miles, which is one circuit of the route I use usually.  Felt quite up for it, and so started off at a cracking pace.  Managed to get round in exactly 29 minutes - which is 7m 15s pace.  That's the fastest I've run 4-miles in, and so I'm obviously improving despite the lethargy of Wednesday's run.

Will be looking at doing over 10 miles tomorrow, hopefully at under 8 min/mile pace.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »

Still not tried the Red Bull pre-run stimulation yet - but might give it a go tomorrow.

The ideal strength of Red Bull for this is to water it down.

I don't know what the 'ideal' ratio is though, I'm sure it's online somewhere.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »

Water it down with vodka?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »

lol - that would be my preference but I'm not the runner, my brother is.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »

lol - that would be my preference but I'm not the runner, my brother is.

Just read some forums onthe interwebz (so the advice MUST be accurate).  They're saying that the caffeine boost is good over short distances, but for marathons it can make you 'crash' as the caffeine wears off and I guess it's the downer after the upper.

Will keep reading though.  50/50 dilution seems to be the advice, and also to let the fizz go out of it before drinking.  I actually make my own electrolyte drinks.  Just a fruit cordial, some lo-salt (more potassium and less sodium), and some glucose.  Much cheaper than buying lucozade sport - and I get to control what I put in it.  However, on the day of the marathon, there are water stands throughout the course as well as stands giving out lucozade sport.  It makes sense to train using lucozade sport as well, so that your body gets used to the stuff when you're running.  Otherwise, it can come straight back up again...

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2009, 11:29:09 AM »

You're a freak.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »

You're a freak.

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »

You're a freak.

Thanks, Mr Kettle.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: