blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  "Dusk till Dawn" Poker Club In Nottingham Diary (by Rob Yong)
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Dusk till Dawn" Poker Club In Nottingham Diary (by Rob Yong)  (Read 444890 times)
hantori

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: January 13, 2008, 12:34:55 PM »

Didn't go in the end, but I decided at the start of the year that I wouldn't play tired and I was up since 6am and the hangover was starting to kick in when I finally got back to Nottingham at 12 so I just headed to the airport and slept there. On the plus side and a big plus I got to see United bang 6 in from the Stretford end Cheesy
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 13, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »

The £25 upcoming tourney on Wednesday has £5 juice. That is sick or what?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1727 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »

The £25 upcoming tourney on Wednesday has £5 juice. That is sick or what?

You surely can't be serious?

How can you begrudge £5 to play in top class surroundings.

Have you stooped to consider that after the initial £4 million outlay, every time they open the door they have take into account the cost of the lease on the building, insurance, gas.electricity for heating lighting/air conditioning. A tournament director, cardroom manager, supervisors, dealers, valets, bar staff, a chef, security personnel, receptionists, cashiers.... etc etc etc....

How much would you like to pay?

The older I get, the better I was.
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 13, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »

I agree it's just odd to pay £5 for a £50 and £5 for a £25 surely?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1729 on: January 13, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »

There has to come a point where they can't reasonably charge any less.

Anyway, with respect. You said "That is sick" not "That is odd"

portfolio

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 13, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »

the  4 mill obv isnt relative   to tragic, whereas the 20% vig    is.

he is free to make this point, as you and  i  are to pay the £5      which be both would.

each to their own, as they say.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 13, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »

Count yerselves lucky.  In our neck of the woods, there's a 'Tour' group running pub league tourneys with a €20 buy in + €10 reg .  In wee pubs, with (at best) 1 dealer supplied and a few sausages and chips thrown in to justify the fee.  Oh wait...they bring a laptop with them to keep track of results too.  Lovely...NOT!

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1732 on: January 13, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »

the  4 mill obv isnt relative   to tragic, whereas the 20% vig    is.

he is free to make this point, as you and  i  are to pay the £5      which be both would.

each to their own, as they say.

Of course I wouldn't dream of preventing him from making his point, or you yours for that matter. I apologise if it came across that way.

I guess i was just surprised that anyone would think it was a sick amount to charge for those facilities, £25 buy-in notwithstanding.

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 13, 2008, 02:02:11 PM »

They'll both cost about the same to run...

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1734 on: January 13, 2008, 02:15:16 PM »

Count yerselves lucky.  In our neck of the woods, there's a 'Tour' group running pub league tourneys with a €20 buy in + €10 reg .  In wee pubs, with (at best) 1 dealer supplied and a few sausages and chips thrown in to justify the fee.  Oh wait...they bring a laptop with them to keep track of results too.  Lovely...NOT!

Simple really, dont play in it if you do not think your getting value for your money.

Personally i think DTD may have done better making it £30 + £5 but im sure they know what they are doing.
If i remember rightly there was meant to be a membership fee to join and play at DTD, as far as im aware no charges have been made yet so for your fiver your getting to play poker in A1 surrondings with dealers.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 13, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »

I of course meant the % as a total of the buy in rather than the actual £5 which is obviously nothing to play at such a great place. It is much harder to see a long term profit when the rake is nearly 18% of the buy in this was my point.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1736 on: January 13, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »

I of course meant the % as a total of the buy in rather than the actual £5 which is obviously nothing to play at such a great place. It is much harder to see a long term profit when the rake is nearly 18% of the buy in this was my point.

I understand what you are saying perfectly.

If your long term profit is gong to be significantly affected by the amount we are discussing, i.e. less than £2.50, then when you take travel costs, a beverage or two, a tip for the vallet etc into account, perhaps most live tournaments are going to be -EV for you.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 13, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »

Simple really, dont play in it if you do not think your getting value for your money.

Personally i think dtd may have done better making it £30 + £5 but im sure they know what they are doing.
If i remember rightly there was meant to be a membership fee to join and play at dtd, as far as im aware no charges have been made yet so for your fiver your getting to play poker in A1 surrondings with dealers.

You can be sure I'd NEVER set foot in the door to one of those pub tourneys, but wouldn't mind paying the £5 at DTD because they're offering a top class service.     

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 13, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »

They'll both cost about the same to run...

So the £75 and £100 tournies will have £5 juice too?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
K9sixtwo

Sigillum Militum Xpisti

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 13, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »

I'm with Red-Dog... £25 +£5 to play in top class surroundings is good value... I have no argument with that..
Everyone is entitled to there opinions...On this occasion DTD's opinion is that it costs £5 to play and I'm not arguing with that...
Right now I'm off out for my Pub league game
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: