blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  learning PLO
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: learning PLO  (Read 3058 times)
dousche

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »

im having a go at taking up plo and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for books/articles/anything that might help. i play a lot of holdem and feel like i get the basic parts of the game but definitely lacking in the omaha-specific front. any suggestions?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »

Rolf Slotbloom's book is pretty much the PLO bible. Other than that the only advice is get it in much lighter than first seems reasonable, people like folding non nut hands in mid/low stakes omaha.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:11:10 PM »

Rolf Slotbloom's book is pretty much the PLO bible. Other than that the only advice is get it in much lighter than first seems reasonable, people like folding non nut hands in mid/low stakes omaha.

i mostly disagree with all that advice
Bainn
The Preacher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »

Read's Rolf's book but much prefer this -

"POT-LIMIT OMAHA POKER: The Big Play Strategy" by Jeff Hwang.

"Decerno, exsequor"

"It's nothing personal, just business."
sweepstr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »

rolf slotbloom all the way.otherwise try and have a chat with dave penley , marco clare or richard cowley as they are just wizards in omaha cash games.aces are so badly overplayed and the excellent Martyn Cavanagh tells me that even in the wsope the standard of omaha is pretty awful with players being unable to fold hands like  three clubs Two Diamonds and    for huge bets and raises.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:23:07 PM by sweepstr » Logged
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »

has rolf got a new book out or something? the one i have read is a decent book for a single low skill strategy, a good starting point maybe but a long long way from being the bible. Better stuff on 2+2 and other info sites.

sweepstr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 02:24:49 PM »

this maybe true but if you read the gentlemans initial quote , he says he wants a starting point and there is simply none better than rolfs book my friend.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »

Get yourself on the low stakes cash tables asap.

Lose your buy in several times.

Post your questionable hands on PHA board on Blonde.

Get ripped to shreds by Flushy and Floppy.

Improve.

Win your money back.

You're welcome.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 02:40:53 PM »

Just to clarify when I say get it in lighter than you think I don't mean reedic light and I don't usually mean preflop, down the streets people make more bad folds in omaha than they do in HE. Still think Rolf's book is pretty much the bible for someone starting to play omaha.

dousche

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:43:03 PM »

Improve.

Win your money back.

You're welcome.

yeah, i plan on doing this but i cant bring myself to not open up the holdem tables once iv opened the lobby. i should really get cracking. iv played a couple of live sessions but not enough to have had that many interesting spots. i'll have to start cracking open the tables soon.

my housemate has got 'how good is your plo?' by stewart reuben and reckons its a good book, anyone read it? also, how good is the plo section of supersystem? i bought it a while ago having been told its great for holdem and found it worse than useless. is it any good for anything?
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »

Improve.

Win your money back.

You're welcome.

yeah, i plan on doing this but i cant bring myself to not open up the holdem tables once iv opened the lobby. i should really get cracking. iv played a couple of live sessions but not enough to have had that many interesting spots. i'll have to start cracking open the tables soon.

my housemate has got 'how good is your plo?' by stewart reuben and reckons its a good book, anyone read it? also, how good is the plo section of supersystem? i bought it a while ago having been told its great for holdem and found it worse than useless. is it any good for anything?

I think Stewart Reuben's book is ridiculously bad since it deals with his own personal experiences playing people he has played with for years instead and congratulates you when you play 'as good as him', also it deals with deep live cash and not 100BB's online so incredibly different. I've written a couple of things on PLO somewhere (albeit very basic) I'll see if I can dig them out.

Thekellster89

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

watch cardrunners videos obv, they range from beginning to advanced.

pm me for my username and password mike.

Madone

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »

Improve.

Win your money back.

You're welcome.

Stewart Rueben is a donkey who likes little boys!!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

Improve.

Win your money back.

You're welcome.

I think Stewart Reuben's book is ridiculously bad since it deals with his own personal experiences playing people he has played with for years instead and congratulates you when you play 'as good as him', also it deals with deep live cash and not 100BB's online so incredibly different. I've written a couple of things on PLO somewhere (albeit very basic) I'll see if I can dig them out.

I'd be interested to see these as well Floppy if poss. You can never get too much basic information.

Loads of basic information is far more useful than a little bit of advanced information imo.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Thekellster89

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »

Improve.

Win your money back.

You're welcome.

I'd be interested to see these as well Floppy if poss. You can never get too much basic information.

Loads of basic information is far more useful than a little bit of advanced information imo.

your absolutely crackers if you think these books are 10% as useful as CR vids

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: