blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272881 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  driving question
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: driving question  (Read 4046 times)
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »

I just wanted someones opinion on what happened. please dont be gay and leave a retarded comment

My mum asked me if i could pick my grandma up from the airport. I asked if i had insurance. ( i couldnt check coz i was in leeds and my family lives in lincoln)

my mum said my bro looked at it and he said yes. ( mum is chinese and cant read english)

so i went to pick my grandma up.

2 am on the m5 no cars 4 lanes, and i was speeding
the police stoped me and said i was speeding and that i could show my documents( insurance mot) to the police station the following day because i didnt have the documents on me.

the following day i realised that i didnt have insurance. and i got banned for 6months and my insurance is sky high.

So

1. should i blame my brother for not looking at the documents properly. If i knew i didnt have insurance i wouldnt of drove
2. I know i shouldnt of been speeding but if i had insurance i wouldnt of got banned or get sky high insurance.
3. is it my fault for not looking at the documents myself this would involve me training it back home to lincoln just to look at a document.

My View
I wouldnt of drove if i knew i didnt had insurance.
I wouldnt of got banned if i had insurance

my bros view (who is older than me but he couldnt drive at the time)

you shouldnt of broken the law.

thats his only arguement

or was it my fault coz i trusted my brother

Just me
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:32:11 PM »

who drove the car to leeds? why couldn't they pick up grandma?
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »

no one drove to leeds

i lived in leeds whilst at uni

no one else could of drove and my mum didnt want to waste 170 quid to pick my grandma up when u can drive there for 60.

Just me
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »

Just like poker you went with ur gut instinct.ur 2 pair was no good against the government,s flush.they win,u pay.should have folded pre-drive imo.

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »

6 month ban is a bit harsh.is this standard?

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 02:09:39 PM »

You broke the law despite making an attempt not regarding the insurance. You broke the law with regards to speeding.

The only thing that isn't broken is your brothers nose which many would do in your shoes.

Sandy
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »

Ultimately mate if you're the one driving it's your responsibility to make sure you are insured.

Ok your brother screwed up but it's still your fault for not making 100% certain yourself.

It's really unfortunate because it's clearly a genuine mistake but look on the bright side. All you're getting is a bit of a ban and a fine. Imagine if you had caused an accident, possibly hurt someone and then found out you weren't insured?

You'd be living with that forever. This will be out of your mind in a few years. It's not the end of the world dude.

Try not to be too hard on your brother either. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. It's not worth falling out about.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »

I'm confused about why you had the car in the first place

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »

Try not to be too hard on your brother either. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. It's not worth falling out about.

[/quote]

but if he took time out to read the documents then i wouldnt be in this mess
but i do think it was partly my fault for trusting my retarded brother.

Just me
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »

I'm confused about why you had the car in the first place

it wasnt my car it was my familys car

Just me
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »

A quick call to the insurers is always your best bet here.  If you're not insured, they might be able to stick you on for a few days for not a lot of money.

As played, ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law.  But I'd be getting my brother to pay the fine.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

So the car is in Leeds with you (family car) and the family isn't in Leeds? So who normally uses the car in Leeds? If it's you at Uni then you have been using it illegally for longer than you thought.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »

my bros view (who is older than me but he couldnt drive at the time)

you shouldnt of broken the law.

He's arguably broken it himself

a person must not cause or permit any other person to use a motor vehicle on a road [F2 or other public place] unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that other person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act.

A quick call to the insurers is always your best bet here.  If you're not insured, they might be able to stick you on for a few days for not a lot of money.

As played, ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law.  But I'd be getting my brother to pay the fine.

This habit of "sticking" someone on has hidden dangers. It's not often realised that, as far as Road Traffic Law applies, the insurance is deemed of no effect until the certificate has been delivered.

"A policy of insurance shall be of no effect for the purposes of this Part of this Act unless and until there is delivered by the insurer to the person by whom the policy is effected a certificate (in this Part of this Act referred to as a “certificate of insurance”) in the prescribed form and containing such particulars of any conditions subject to which the policy is issued and of any other matters as may be prescribed."

Whether you going to be disqualified, and for how long, for speeding depends on, amongst other factors, driving record, other offences, e.g. no Insurance, and speed.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
dousche

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »

6 month ban is a bit harsh.is this standard?

not harsh at all. do you know how difficult it isto get compensation for somebody injured by an uninsured driver?
dousche

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »

in answer to op, if i were ur brother id offer to pay the fine (not the speeding one though). it ultimately comes down to you though. sorry
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: