blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best Moment Of The WSOP So Far
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Moment Of The WSOP So Far  (Read 10918 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 10:59:32 PM »

Hard to believe the insular yanks would believe that was a genuine, alternative version of the national anthem...
Byron, you're now in my list of top ten poker heroes imo

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
CrestOfaWave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »

when I saw flops post on twitter thought it was good to see a bit of humour at the WSOP.

If it was the Olympics I could see people getting upset but WSOP - get a grip.

keilan303

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »

I think its all pretty lame, who in the world apart from Hellmuth deems poker worthy of an awards ceremony with national anthems etc... good on them, maybe Richard Austin switched the CD's....

If it tilted Kabbaj, then I'll take that sort of tilt that gets you deep in a 50k HORSE anyday!!
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »

Great stuff.
John has a cracking, dry sense of humour, and surely would have found it hilarious.
Not surprised Mr Shoreman found it distasteful.
Never met a more miserable man, lacking in any sense of humour, in all my life at a poker table.

Are you fun to share a table with Mr Shoreman?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
JonShoreman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »

Are you fun to share a table with Mr Shoreman?

Apparently not.
JonShoreman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »

I think the point that everyone is missing is John was not aware of the change.
Had he requested it then I say nothing, it's his ceremony.
But they changed the song because some other random Brits said it was a good idea (and they were just joking)
Do you think if some Americans suggested they play "fuck the USA" at the next American ceremony they would do it?
And if they did, do you think the bracelet winner would be happy and just say, ha ha good joke?
and what do you think the reaction of the crowd would be?
John was in shock, you could see it on his face, and he confirmed it afterwards that he was not happy about it.
This was an insult to John.
I know John pretty well and was sure he wouldn't complain. It is for all these reasons that I decided to say something.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:12:23 PM by JonShoreman » Logged
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 10:10:41 PM »

Did John ask you to complain?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »

Best of Blonde ?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »

I think the point that everyone is missing is John was not aware of the change.
Had he requested it then I say nothing, it's his ceremony.
But they changed the song because some other random Brits said it was a good idea (and they were just joking)
Do you think if some Americans suggested they play "fuck the USA" at the next American ceremony they would do it?
And if they did, do you think the bracelet winner would be happy and just say, ha ha good joke?
and what do you think the reaction of the crowd would be?
John was in shock, you could see it on his face, and he confirmed it afterwards that he was not happy about it.
This was an insult to John.
I know John pretty well and was sure he wouldn't complain. It is for all these reasons that I decided to say something.

I think the point you are missing is that you are making your friend out to be a pathetic whiny bitch over multiple poker forums.  It's more like character assasination than sticking up for a mate

I know John pretty well and was sure he wouldn't complain

then apparently at least he if not you understands that if you win 650K you do not start whinging about some stupid fucking song. you seem to be expecting us to be sympathetic Huh? i honestly don't think anyone can be this stupid, secretly you don't like John and are cleverly doing this to slag him off right?

mike saban

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »

actually I think I am inclined to agree with Jon  & John here.

Big moment, first time you've won a braclet and ready to take centre stage, an position that many would like to emulate but only a few select few are ever likely to achieve, and its ruined by a joke like this, think I would be a tadge p*ssed off too.

Also the patriot in me, thinks that Jon is right to complain about his national anthem being made a mockery of, the yanks wouldn't stand for it, why should the brits. At the end of the day, its about a matter of personel pride in yourself and the country where your from.

good man for making a stand I say, does that make me an miserable old git too ?.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 10:35:46 PM »

Big moment, first time you've won a braclet and ready to take centre stage, an position that many would like to emulate but only a few select few are ever likely to achieve, and its ruined by a joke like this, think I would be a tadge p*ssed off too.

Also the patriot in me, thinks that Jon is right to complain about his national anthem being made a mockery of, the yanks wouldn't stand for it, why should the brits. At the end of the day, its about a matter of personel pride in yourself and the country where your from.

good man for making a stand I say, does that make me an miserable old git too ?.

in a word, Yes. Wink

just think it has been blown out of all proportion.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »

Absolute bullshit, i don't play poker for my country.

I had already decided if i was to win a bracelet that i didnt want them playing the national anthem was the most tilting thing ever having to stop in the middle of hands whilst everyone stood for the anthems.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
mike saban

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »

in a word, Yes. Wink

just think it has been blown out of all proportion.

LOL - ok, maybe so. Your probably right, its all gone out of proportion, and most obviously very funny to those who set it up, but if it was me on the centre stage, then it would have bothered me too. I don't know either of these gents personally but I do agree with their opinion.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53:26 PM »

Absolute bullshit, i don't play poker for my country.

I had already decided if i was to win a bracelet that i didnt want them playing the national anthem was the most tilting thing ever having to stop in the middle of hands whilst everyone stood for the anthems.

This

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »

Well said Flushy. In the half-dozen or so WSOP jobbies I played this year, a lot of players were delaying coming back from the break by five minutes in order to miss the award ceremony.
This is poker, an individual and totally selfish pursuit. It's not a sport. National anthems are out of place.
So a few Brits had a pissed-up wind-up moment and thought 'I wonder if we could get this hilarious jape through'.
They did. LOL.
If this had happened to the Yanks, you're right, there would have been uproar. But this is why we laugh at them. They are horrendously insular with this sort of thing.
You're not so much making yourself look insular here as a whinging Brit abroad.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: