blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Girgy85's Tales of a Taxi Driver.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Girgy85's Tales of a Taxi Driver.  (Read 191580 times)
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2009, 11:54:31 PM »

"Got weighed on monday and i have gained 3lbs but i feel slimmer"

Sorry, but I'm pmsl here    

It is possible for Girgy to have lost body fat whilst increasing muscle mass and therefore may put on a little weight at the same time as getting slimmer.

I'm not sure though as Dan should be concentrating a lot more on cardiovascular workouts than weight based ones atm and at his current weight if his diet and training are right he should be dropping weight regardless.

Im only doing light weight sessions.... Biceps and Triceps to tone my arms...bit of chest and shoulders.

You simply shouldn't be gaining weight then Dan.

If this thread is going to work and help you, pls post DAILY (it's not that much of a chore) your gym sessions in as much detail as possible and what you ate and drank throughout the day.

I believe a blonde very kindly wrote you a good email with an eating plan. Have you stuck to it?

Also weigh yourself daily.
Weighing yourself weekly doesnt work.

Daily graph plotting ftw

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2009, 12:16:20 AM »

Dan should be concentrating a lot more on cardiovascular workouts than weight based ones atm

no, I thought this but have been persuaded otherwise, body fat % is down to your diet unless you are fit enough to be able to train really hard. treadmills ain't gonna do that much. this has been a huge debate over many threads on teh interwebs and the conclusion seems to be if you wanna get fit get strong first, because all of the other 9 aspects of fitness are positively affected by strength, and thus will allow you to get more adaptation from them if you are strong. this is why there are a zillion different crossfit hybrid systems popping up to put more strength work into the programming. but the best advice is to just do starting strength first. this is of course many times harder than bouncing along some treadmill and if going on a treadmill makes girgs feel good then fine but I'm afraid he'll just join the masses of people who go to the gym for years and never actually change. doing anything of course will have some affect on a complete novice - the nose picking masturbation thing I was saying - and the scales absolutely do lie, taking measurements and photographs weekly is far better than weighing yourself.

I have stopped going to CF and just started SS in my garage. When I go back I will hopefully be a lot stronger and therefore will be able to do the workouts harder/faster/heavier and will get fitter a lot quicker than doing them slow and light like I am atm and not really gaining much from them. if of course your definition of fitness is purely being able to jog slowly for long distances then strength is perhaps less important but will still help to reduce the knee pain/shin splints/back aches that many runners seem to acquire and obv has benefits for life in general. just as a final point there is some speculation that treadmill running does not bring your hamstrings into play like normal running would do and may well lead to imbalances and problems in later life, i believe eric cressey has written about this.

GL

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:19:48 AM by byronkincaid » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2009, 12:56:51 AM »

Dan should be concentrating a lot more on cardiovascular workouts than weight based ones atm

no, I thought this but have been persuaded otherwise, body fat % is down to your diet unless you are fit enough to be able to train really hard. treadmills ain't gonna do that much. this has been a huge debate over many threads on teh interwebs and the conclusion seems to be if you wanna get fit get strong first, because all of the other 9 aspects of fitness are positively affected by strength, and thus will allow you to get more adaptation from them if you are strong. this is why there are a zillion different crossfit hybrid systems popping up to put more strength work into the programming. but the best advice is to just do starting strength first. this is of course many times harder than bouncing along some treadmill and if going on a treadmill makes girgs feel good then fine but I'm afraid he'll just join the masses of people who go to the gym for years and never actually change. doing anything of course will have some affect on a complete novice - the nose picking masturbation thing I was saying - and the scales absolutely do lie, taking measurements and photographs weekly is far better than weighing yourself.

I have stopped going to CF and just started SS in my garage. When I go back I will hopefully be a lot stronger and therefore will be able to do the workouts harder/faster/heavier and will get fitter a lot quicker than doing them slow and light like I am atm and not really gaining much from them. if of course your definition of fitness is purely being able to jog slowly for long distances then strength is perhaps less important but will still help to reduce the knee pain/shin splints/back aches that many runners seem to acquire and obv has benefits for life in general. just as a final point there is some speculation that treadmill running does not bring your hamstrings into play like normal running would do and may well lead to imbalances and problems in later life, i believe eric cressey has written about this.

GL

havent read the whole post byron as I know what you're gonna say but there's lots of theories one way or the other on this. I just think Girgy will drop more weight quickly atm if he gets in as much cardio as possible.

I'm not gonna be really posting on the thread anymore though as a chat on msn with Girgy tonight made me think he's just not willing to commit 100% to this.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
salfi

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 30, 2009, 01:35:43 AM »

girgy girgy girgy.  keep it going mate. ul regret it if u give up. keep the efforts going.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 30, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »

GL

I really disagree with this theory a lot for someone trying to lose weight.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »

GL

I really disagree with this theory a lot for someone trying to lose weight.

It's a theory for people who want to lose weight, gain muscle and get fit - and it's one that'll work for people who are really 'going for it'.

For people who want to lose a bit of weight and get a bit fitter by doing a bit of weight watching and a bit exercise - it won't work.

A lot of people will fail with that approach but that's mainly because they think they can still eat loads just because they're doing a bit of exercise - eating how much you need rather than how much you want is always going to be the easiest way for overweight people to lose weight.

The exercise part helps and accelerates it - but it won't work if you're still eating too much overall.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 30, 2009, 10:20:32 AM »

Sorry, but I'm pmsl here   

Its Called Muscle Mr Dog!

Oh dear. This is very disillusioned Mr Girgy. If you think that you somehow managed to pack on 3lb of raw solid muscle in 1 week purely doing treadmill, swimming and steam room sessions then you're wrong.

It is impossible to do this if you're a hardcore weight trainer so please don't start thinking this is what's happening to you. You are once again lying to yourself.

FWIW I like what Byron has said (for once Smiley). There's no better way to lose weight than by weight training.

If you manage to do a good weight training session your body is still burning calories for a few hours afterwards. A steady treadmill session will not do this.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 30, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »

Ok I hope Dan won't mind me posting this but in light of a few good posts on the thread I thought I should as I feel the only way we can help Girgy is by being harsh when he needs it.

He seems to be getting down the gym and making a decent effort with that but when I told him to post his diet on the thread and what he's eating throughout the day he said he didn't want to do that for all to see. This to me indicates that he's only doing half of what's required which essentially means he's just wasting his effort in the gym.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 30, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »

Yea sorry for not updating was gonna group them into a few days rather than update every day...

Gym is going well and im still enjoying it!

Saturday i went and did a treadmill session followed by a swim and a relaxing steam room.

Monday i did a treadmil session.

Today i have been for a swim and sauna.

Got weighed on monday and i have gained 3lbs but i feel slimmer and feel like my legs are toning up more!

Is it possible that you're enjoying it because it's so bloody easy? I keep reading about treadmill this, swim that and then the nice relaxing steam room.

I haven't once seen you say:

"wow I'm totally knackered. Grafted my bollocks off on the treadmill, did a fast paced swim that really burned my shoulders and was so fucked I had to have a steam room while I got my breath back".

These are the kind of thoughts I would expect from a person who is training properly.

I'm not knocking what you're doing Girgy but if you really want to lose weight you have got to put some effort in.

Yes it's been difficult but you're over the first hurdle now and seem to have a routine. Time to step it up a gear.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: September 30, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »

Sorry, but I'm pmsl here    

It is possible for Girgy to have lost body fat whilst increasing muscle mass and therefore may put on a little weight at the same time as getting slimmer.

I'm not sure though as Dan should be concentrating a lot more on cardiovascular workouts than weight based ones atm and at his current weight if his diet and training are right he should be dropping weight regardless.

Im only doing light weight sessions.... Biceps and Triceps to tone my arms...bit of chest and shoulders.

You simply shouldn't be gaining weight then Dan.

If this thread is going to work and help you, pls post DAILY (it's not that much of a chore) your gym sessions in as much detail as possible and what you ate and drank throughout the day.

I believe a blonde very kindly wrote you a good email with an eating plan. Have you stuck to it?

Also weigh yourself daily.
Weighing yourself weekly doesnt work.

Daily graph plotting ftw

A daily graph is a great idea, it really motivates you. I started one which runs for 3 months from the 19th of Sept to the 19 of Dec with a weight loss of two stones.

I weigh myself every morning, and if my plot line gets close to the controll line I know I have to have an extra good day to open the gap again.

Click to see full-size image.

Weight loss since start:     5 lbs lost
Latest goal progress:     1.5 lbs below
Time to Goal End:     2.6 months
Target weight change:     9.7 lbs/month

The older I get, the better I was.
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »

wp Girgy. For someone who wasn't going to the gym, who started going to the gym, and is still going to the gym, you're in the top 10 percent. I admire your tenacity. Do not post your food blog if you do not want to, although pics of the odd meal would be interesting.

There was a dude on telly this morning, BBC Breakfast. He's a surgeon, was 27 stone, now 17 stone 3 years later. He opted for a gastric band, with obviously dramatic results, but I think it's a slightly risky procedure. He's now doing triathlons and cycling the length of the country. Not necessarily everyone's goal, but quite inspirational

http://christopheroliver.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »

Sigh - Girgy fail imo.

I keep on seeing excuses, and no real commitment.  It's easy to eat the correct food if you really want to.  I'm not overweight (ldo), but I eat a low-fat diet because of a history of heart-disease in my family.  Occasionally, I'll eat some crap (like Matt said earlier in the thread, you can 'earn' the right to break your rules) - but most of the time I'm pretty careful about what I eat.  I still eat loads, but I try to keep saturated and hydrogenated fat down to a minimum.  Not saying my diet would be suitable for you or for anyone else, but I think it's right for me.  This means I tend to avoid certain foods, even if I like them.  There's always something else nice I can eat.

As for the exercise, I think everyone can get too hung up on exactly which sort of exercise is right or wrong, or better or worse.  But as long as you're doing something, regularly, and it's pushing you slightly beyond your comfort level - then it's probably doing you good.  If you're cruising through it and it's easy, then it's probably not helping too much. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »

This to me indicates that he's only doing half of what's required which essentially means he's just wasting his effort in the gym.

Norrr worst logic in the thread so far.

Now he does some excercise where as before he did none, he has'nt changed his diet so the exercise is wasted.

Ball bags sir.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »

This to me indicates that he's only doing half of what's required which essentially means he's just wasting his effort in the gym.

Norrr worst logic in the thread so far.

Now he does some excercise where as before he did none, he has'nt changed his diet so the exercise is wasted.

Ball bags sir.

Eh?

Isn't that what Cos just said? Or are you quoting it because it's wrong?

I think it's right btw. Doing some excercise without changing your diet is a waste of time. Better to spend half as much time in the gym and dedicate the time saved to preparing some decent meals.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »

My interpretation is that if you don't change the diet and only go to the gym - you're not going to lose weight, and you're not going to get that fit.

But you'll still be not as bad as if you weren't going - so it is worth it, just about.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 98 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: