blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 05:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272893 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  NFL 2010
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2010  (Read 85097 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »

lots of stuff happening with the end of the cba that sounds really interesting but I don't really understand, can someone explain in layman's terms?

so looks like we'll have an uncapped season. what happens if the clubs pump up salaries then agree to a new cba with cap for 2011? will all players automatically get pay cuts?

is there a chance the league will remain uncapped going forward?

if this happened is it likely the draft system would be scrapped? I know the 2011 draft is def happening but there seems to be some doubt about anything beyond that

what're the chances of strike action in 2011? what form is it likely to take?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
smileriraq

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »

if it goes ahead I do know that the amount of free agents a team can sign will be limited and I believe the top 4 team in each conference will not be able to sign any new free agents

Click to see full-size image.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »

I believe the top 4 team in each conference will not be able to sign any new free agents

not that simple. this is from the latest jets newsletter summing up the situation the top 8 are in. I'm still bloody confused though

As it stands right now, the Jets have seven players — LS James Dearth, DE Marques Douglas, K Jay Feely, LB Ryan Fowler, TE Ben Hartsock, LB/special teamer Larry Izzo and FB Tony Richardson — who will become unrestricted free agents on March 5. The Jets, one of four teams who participated in the conference championship games, won’t be able to sign any UFAs themselves unless one of the aforementioned seven signs with another club.

“We can't sign one until we would lose one, and again, that's someone whose contract expires and they have been in the league for six or more seasons,” said GM Mike Tannenbaum. “If a player gets cut by another team, they become a free agent and we would be able to sign them.”

The Jets don’t have a large group of UFAs because only players who have been in the league six years or more will qualify for free agency in 2010. Before we turn our attention to restricted free agents (RFAs), there is a salary-matching component to this whole UFA situation.

For example, let’s say one of the above Jets veterans becomes a UFA and signs a three-year deal with the Atlanta Falcons for $1 million in year one, $1.3 million in year two and $1.9 million in year three. The Jets could in turn sign one player themselves, but his first-year salary couldn’t be more than the $1 million the former Jets vet received, and then the club would be limited to a 30 percent jump from that original $1 million each additional season. So the Jets could go as high as $1.3 million in year two and then $1.6 million in year three.

Even if the Jets wanted to make a play for a Julius Peppers-type player, the likelihood of that happening would be slim and none. If the Panthers don’t sign Pep to an extension or place the franchise tag on the star before Feb. 25, he’s going to be a UFA and will want to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. Also, ESPN’s Adam Schefter recently reported that the Jets may work on an extension for the game’s best CB, Darrelle Revis.

The Jets’ group of restricted free agents stands at 11 — QB Kellen Clemens, CB Drew Coleman, WR Braylon Edwards, DT Howard Green, T Wayne Hunter, S James Ihedigbo, WR Brad Smith, S Eric Smith, RB-KR Leon Washington and WR-special teams ace Wallace Wright. Although the deadline for the Green & White to tender qualifying offers is March 4, Mr. T. already announced that the club is “definitely” going to tender Washington, Edwards was a “similar situation” to the explosive back and Clemens would receive a tender as well.

By placing a tender on a restricted free agent, the Jets protect themselves from losing that player in a couple of ways. Other teams can make contract offers to the Jets’ 11 RFAs from March 5-April 15, but New York’s AFC representative would have one week to match anything that was signed, with the last possible matching date landing on April 21. If the Jets choose not to match an offer, they would receive compensation in the form of a draft pick or picks determined by the player’s tender and draft selection.

“We need a little bit more time,” Tannenbaum said when asked about what tender Washington would receive. “There are some fairly complicated rules in terms of draft classes and who you can tender at what level, so we will take a close look at that as well.”

According to an Associated Press report, there are more than 200 players who would have been UFAs and now will be RFAs under these new rules. And there are some big-time names in that category around the league, including WR Vincent Jackson and LB Shawne Merriman of the Chargers, WR Brandon Marshall and DE Elvis Dumervil of the Broncos, Cowboys WR Miles Austin, Texans LB DeMeco Ryans, Colts S Antoine Bethea, Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown, Vikings DE Ray Edwards, Redskins QB Jason Campbell, and Bucs RB Carnell “Cadillac” Williams.

Even if a new CBA was miraculously reached before March 5, the NFL would probably have to implement a transition rule that would apply for those players who were going to be RFAs before the deal was reached but then became UFAs afterward. But with no agreement, the league will enter into an uncapped year and teams will have no spending limit. Keep in mind that teams can release players with no cap consequence in 2010, but it should be noted Mr. T. has already said LB Vernon Gholston, the No. 6 selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, will return.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »

It is incredibly complex

I am not sure I could write it down in understandable terms

The key point is though that because its a non-salary cap year about 100 players who would have normally hit the free agent market are now "restricted" meaning they are far less likely to move.

To stop the 8 most successful teams last year buying success from here, and because the NFL is so big on parity, they cannot bring in more than 0/1 free agents unless they lose a player to another team first.

The essence of the dispute is between players union and team management over shares of TV revenues. If unresolved, there is chance of no season in 2001-12 because of strike action

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »

It is incredibly complex

I am not sure I could write it down in understandable terms

The key point is though that because its a non-salary cap year about 100 players who would have normally hit the free agent market are now "restricted" meaning they are far less likely to move.

To stop the 8 most successful teams last year buying success from here, and because the NFL is so big on parity, they cannot bring in more than 0/1 free agents unless they lose a player to another team first.

The essence of the dispute is between players union and team management over shares of TV revenues. If unresolved, there is chance of no season in 2001-12 because of strike action

Is this like Lost ??
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »

As of this morning, we're 580 days away from Opening Day 2011 -- the first day there will be no football if the owners lock out the players. There are going to be 580 twists and turns of the story between now and then. Still, I believe there will be a work stoppage in 2011. The fact is, owners want players to bear some burden for the costs of all the stadiums that have been built in recent years, and players don't want to pay for something they've never paid for before. That's the elephant in the negotiating room right now, and no one's budging.

I think the NFL would budge significantly from its goal of getting the players to exempt $1 billion a year from the money the two sides currently share. But if the players don't conceptually accept that they should share in the cost of building a bigger revenue base for the first time in NFL labor history, we're about to be subjected to a long and frustrating period of vein-bulging rhetoric.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/02/14/offseason/index.html

My eyes are open wide
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »

Is this like Lost ??

pretty much. there's gonna be a strike and nobody has a clue what's going on

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »

Anyone have the date of the draft

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »

Anyone have the date of the draft

April 22-24

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/02/23/combine.45/index.html

Rough idea to who might go where

Draft order (and so on through 7 rounds)

Round 1

1. St. Louis (1-15)
   2. Detroit (2-14)
   3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
   4. Washington (4-12)
   5. Kansas City (4-12)
   6. Seattle (5-11)
   7. Cleveland (5-11)
   8. Oakland (5-11)
   9. Buffalo (6-10)
  10. Jacksonville^ (7-9)
  11. Denver - from Chicago^ (7-9)
  12. Miami (7-9)
  13. San Francisco (8-8)
  14. Seattle - from Denver (8-8)
  15. New York Giants (8-8)
  16. Tennessee^ (8-8)
  17. San Francisco - from Carolina^ (8-8)
  18. Pittsburgh (9-7)
  19. Atlanta^ (9-7)
  20. Houston^ (9-7)
  21. Cincinnati* (10-6)
  22. New England* (10-6)
  23. Green Bay* (11-5)
  24. Philadelphia* (11-5)
  25. Baltimore* (9-7)
  26. Arizona* (10-6)
  27. Dallas* (11-5)
  28. San Diego* (13-3)
  29. New York Jets* (9-7)
  30. Minnesota* (12-4)
  31. Indianapolis* (14-2)
  32. New Orleans* (13-3)

My eyes are open wide
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

so, any discussion on the draft picks ?

Tebow ? will nobody touch him ?

For anyone looking for a QB then i think Colt McCoy has to be one of the top picks.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »

For anyone looking for a QB then i think Colt McCoy has to be one of the top picks.

Tebow is not an NFL QB yet (his college offence was all shotgun and he's said to have skills that are not transferable) but someone will take a punt in the mid rounds and try and develop him

the top QBs are Clauesen and Bradford but its a poor year for QB. Great year for the big uglies both side of the ball if your team wants one. Most teams do.

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

Tebow is not an NFL QB yet (his college offence was all shotgun and he's said to have skills that are not transferable) but someone will take a punt in the mid rounds and try and develop him

the top QBs are Clauesen and Bradford but its a poor year for QB. Great year for the big uglies both side of the ball if your team wants one. Most teams do.

Want to have a bet on where Tebow is drafted?

I win if he goes in round 1 or 2.

you win if he goes later.

I think Jacksonville might well pick him at Number 10, or trade down a little and still take him in round 1.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
lazaroonie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »

linebacker Rolando Mclain should defnitely be a high first round pick. and could actually be jacksonville's first round choice.

lazaroonie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:03 PM »

aye the big DT for nebraska (his name escapes me) is said to be in high demand.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 51 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: