blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272635 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 178034 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2010, 01:38:43 AM »

let's all send a random animal to arrive at the same time. I'm gonna track down the pig that some bloke was walking past my window earlier

Been thinking about it and if the pig is a pot belly pig, send him on.  They are lovely in sandwiches.

fyp

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »

For all you cynics out there, you'll enjoy this one.  I probably made a wee mistake...which definitely led to jumbo size consequences.  

In an attempt to make up for Cassie's long journey, I left a big bowl of food out for her all day.  She'd eat it, I'd refill the bowl, she'd eat it, refill...rinse repeat.  You get the idea.  Lily is a 'once a day' kind of dog, so this was new to us.  With Lily, you feed her a big bowl and she might not even finish it in the day so I assumed (wrongly I hope) that poor Cassie must be abso starved.

Despite the pair being left out a number of times before bed last night, I'm sure you can guess what's coming next.  Woke up this morning to two of THE BIGGEST piles of poo you'd ever want to meet.  In my life, I've never seen so much gathered in any one location.  Didn't know it was possible.  Never mind TWICE from the same animal!  

And Cassie?  She woke up this morning abso beaming.  Suppose you would too if you had that much shit cleared from yer system.  Tail wagging all over the shop.  Each person that woke was greeted by her wagging tail in hopes of a rub...which she got.  

I've cleared the mess and come up with a new plan.  They've a new big bowl of food out now and I'll give her a 'snack' amount around dinner time, but that's it.  Fingers crossed it works because as each new pet arrives, it's my job to sort the 'welcome home' messes.      
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:17:37 AM by Laxie » Logged

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
vinni

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2010, 09:46:47 AM »

what about a couple of Labrador's .you choose the colour.

i`v become cos`s bitch
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »

For all you cynics out there, you'll enjoy this one.  I probably made a wee mistake...which definitely led to jumbo size consequences. 

In an attempt to make up for Cassie's long journey, I left a big bowl of food out for her all day.  She'd eat it, I'd refill the bowl, she'd eat it, refill...rinse repeat.  You get the idea.  Lily is a 'once a day' kind of dog, so this was new to new.  With Lily, you feed her a big bowl and she might not even finish it in the day so I assumed (wrongly I hope) that poor Cassie must be abso starved.

Despite the pair being left out a number of times before bed last night, I'm sure you can guess what's coming next.  Woke up this morning to two of THE BIGGEST piles of poo you'd ever want to meet.  In my life, I've never seen so much gathered in any one location.  Didn't know it was possible.  Never mind TWICE from the same animal! 

And Cassie?  She woke up this morning abso beaming.  Suppose you would too if you had that much shit cleared from yer system.  Tail wagging all over the shop.  Each person that woke was greeted by her wagging tail in hopes of a rub...which she got. 

I've cleared the mess and come up with a new plan.  They've a new big bowl of food out now and I'll give her a 'snack' amount around dinner time, but that's it.  Fingers crossed it works because as each new pet arrives, it's my job to sort the 'welcome home' messes.     

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »

Nice present to wake up to!

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »

Day 2 - Brian phoned from school asking me to collect him as he's suffering from 'man cold'.  Stuffed up and sore throat with a few days.  Not the end of the world and he'd really want to buck up, but said I'd collect him as I'm a pushover. 

Gathered keys off the table and Cassie went ape!  Tail wagging mad, she was even trying to rally Lily in her efforts.  Suppose we can stop at the field on the way home from school, so come on girls.  Off we go. 

Click to see full-size image.

After they had what I felt was a good run (Lily was wrecked trying to keep up!  lol), it was time to head home. 

Or so I thought.  lololololol  Cassie decided to play a wee game.  She's such a ham!!!  With a smirk on her face, she'd get just close enough to tease us before tearing off around the field.  It's a big field.  Cornering a 'greyhound on a mission' in a big field is no easy task.  Trust me.  I now know.  We tried.  For ages!

Luckily I'd stopped at the shop on the way to the field.  Eventually we thought of it and tore the end off a fresh loaf of bread we'd just bought.  Sure enough.  She loves her food...any food really.  lol  Caught and safely tucked back into the car, we made our way home.  They're thrown down by the fire for now.  Once the girls come home from school, the madness will kick off again. 

It's a learning curve for all of us, but seems everyone is enjoying it.   

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »

Haha, she loves playing that game Dawn, I love the smile she gives you too when she runs away. Just give her a firm voice, and she gets a little scared and tends to just look down at the ground and wince as you walk toward her..

HI HELEN!
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »

Or to get her used to coming to me I used to let her off the lead, but while walking just give her a call over to me every minute or two and just give her a pat on the head, then when you finally want her in she'll come expecting a pat on the head but you put the lead on Smiley

HI HELEN!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »

Or to get her used to coming to me I used to let her off the lead, but while walking just give her a call over to me every minute or two and just give her a pat on the head, then when you finally want her in she'll come expecting a pat on the head but you put the lead on Smiley

This will work best Dawn without doubt.

The problem most owners have with recall is that they don't practice it until they need it to work.

Next time you're in the field make it a training session. Just randomly recall and treat every time.

I make it a habit to recall Ronnie at least 20 times whenever he's off lead. That way he's always expecting a recall and listens out knowing that a treat could be waiting if only he gets to hear that whistle.

The chasing thing might seem like fun on day 1 but in all seriousness I'd leave that game until you sort the recall. Once her recall's good then you can play chase games knowing that when you want the game to end you can get her to come to you.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2010, 02:30:36 PM »

In an attempt to make up for Cassie's long journey, I left a big bowl of food out for her all day.  She'd eat it, I'd refill the bowl, she'd eat it, refill...rinse repeat.  You get the idea.  Lily is a 'once a day' kind of dog, so this was new to new.  With Lily, you feed her a big bowl and she might not even finish it in the day so I assumed (wrongly I hope) that poor Cassie must be abso starved.

Lily is a rarity. Most dogs will keep eating while ever food is there. They know that if they eat too much they can just dig a hole, regurgitate it and store it for later.

Cassie is in a new home and she doesn't know when the next meal is coming. Too right she'll eat everything that placed in front of her.

Greyhounds don't actually need much food Dawn. They are generally very slow dogs and unless they are being worked (racing) their dietary requirements are minimal. You should be more wary of over feeding than under feeding a dog like her.

You'll know if she's starving because she'll look skinny. Her shape now looks really good. You can see her ribs but only just and she has a clearly defined waistline. They're two great indicators of a well fed but not over fed dog.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »

RESULT!!!  No food after 4pm (despite the best efforts of all the kids) and we had a clean wake up call this morning.  Wasn't easy.  Cassie whined like a baby during our dinner and every time someone grabbed a snack later on.  I caught the kids sneaking her wee nibbles now and then, but they stopped once they were told they'd be responsible for this morning's clean up.  Fear is a good thing.  lol

Lily hates going out the back yard unless she's really busting to go.  She much prefers to stay put with me.  Cassie's copped this.  Now the lil darlin' takes off running for her spot on the sitting room floor when I open the back door!  I've always just had to say 'out' in a firm tone with Lily, but now she's following Cassie's lead and takes off for the sitting room too.  Getting 2 big dogs out the back when neither of them wants to is great fun, but we got there in the end. 

Thanks for the recall advice Lads.  I'll give it a go and keep at it.  We next to never have Lily on a lead as she always comes back.  She's able to run around the fields right near our house where the kids play and has spent many a day there with them.  Would be great to let the pair of them run loose in the fields near us, but don't want to risk it until I'm sure Cassie will return without hassle. 

Sarah says I need to stop using the camera on my phone and has insisted I use her proper camera from now on.  Will give that a go too.  I'm really enjoying the pair of them.  Cassie has brought new life to our old Lily and bar the odd spat over fireside positions, they're getting on great.

turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »

RESULT!!!  No food after 4pm (despite the best efforts of all the kids) and we had a clean wake up call this morning.  Wasn't easy.  Cassie whined like a baby during our dinner and every time someone grabbed a snack later on.  I caught the kids sneaking her wee nibbles now and then, but they stopped once they were told they'd be responsible for this morning's clean up.  Fear is a good thing.  lol

Lily hates going out the back yard unless she's really busting to go.  She much prefers to stay put with me.  Cassie's copped this.  Now the lil darlin' takes off running for her spot on the sitting room floor when I open the back door!  I've always just had to say 'out' in a firm tone with Lily, but now she's following Cassie's lead and takes off for the sitting room too.  Getting 2 big dogs out the back when neither of them wants to is great fun, but we got there in the end. 

Thanks for the recall advice Lads.  I'll give it a go and keep at it.  We next to never have Lily on a lead as she always comes back.  She's able to run around the fields right near our house where the kids play and has spent many a day there with them.  Would be great to let the pair of them run loose in the fields near us, but don't want to risk it until I'm sure Cassie will return without hassle. 

Sarah says I need to stop using the camera on my phone and has insisted I use her proper camera from now on.  Will give that a go too.  I'm really enjoying the pair of them.  Cassie has brought new life to our old Lily and bar the odd spat over fireside positions, they're getting on great.

as long as cassie is let out before everyone settles down for the night to do her business you will be fine.

in time you will be able to keep cassie off the lead at the fields, she just needs to get used to you all and to settle into "home".

i rarely had cassie on a lead in open spaces and she  was fine and ben was the same with her.

looks like your all having lots of fun lol x

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2010, 01:58:13 PM »

Just back from a long walk with the pair of them.  Kept them on the leads during the walk and once we were near home decided to chance me arm with the field.  RESULT!!!  Not a bother in the world.  They were still in 'walk' mode when we first entered the field, so now and then I'd call them back. 

Happy with the result after a bit, I turned to Cassie with an excited voice and said, 'Go on girl, give a run!' whilst pointing across the field.  Off she went, with Lily in tow.  Called them back a couple of times during their play and they came back without a hassle...Cassie leading the charge.  Would give them both loads of praise and cuddles before letting them off again.  Don't know if it made a difference, but I was sat in the grass at the time just watching them when they'd get the call.  Almost like I wasn't a threat to ending their fun.  Brian reckons Cassie will cop on to the 'sitting down' trick in no time, so we'll need plenty more practice before I'm sure.   

More pics of Dawn chasing after a greyhound and it gets to legendary status........

Had a wee jog with them on our way to the field.  Sooooooooo glad there was no camera!     On the plus side, I'll surely lose a few pounds with all this running about!

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »

Don't know if it made a difference, but I was sat in the grass at the time just watching them when they'd get the call.  Almost like I wasn't a threat to ending their fun

This is the reason for recalling often during your walk. They come back, get a treat then get to go again. The recall becomes a good thing to them rather than a signal that play time is over.

It's also worth recalling, putting the lead back on and then taking it off and letting her go again. That way if you've got her lead out she won't be worried that it means her free time is about to come to an end.

Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »

Kids just landed home from school and brought a few friends to meet Cassie.  She handled it like a proper star.  The wee lad sat in the back on the sofa?  She was taller than him so it kinda freaked him out.  lol

Is it me or does the white dog look like it's about to eat someone?

Blue text
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: