blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272633 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 177991 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1860 on: June 28, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »

Why not hire one instead of buying?

Good point. HSS is your friend

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 28, 2011, 10:14:18 AM »

Why not hire one instead of buying?

Good point. HSS is your friend

This is what I suggested first day.  Jack's thinking was, we've lots of rooms to get through.  Hire was coming in at £30 per week-end.  A few week-ends later, we've nearly the price of a new one spent anyway.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 28, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »

If you hire one, to make things as cheap as possible, you need to do all the scraping, filling  etc etc etc, in all rooms, ready for sanding, and then rent sander and do it all in no time..!! Smiley...  If you gonna spend weeks doing bit by bit, room by room etc, yeah, buy one..!!
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 07, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »

Lost in translation...  

I was enquiring about this with you lot last week

But this is what landed home
 Click to see full-size image.

Yep...sheets of sandpaper and a cork sanding block. 

Is it my accent? 

I kind of got a hop (translation - I was a bit surprised) when he landed home with that lot above.  But he walked in so proud with all his purchases.  Tins of paint, all sorts of brushes and rollers, paint tray, white spirits.  You know...the usual gear for painting a room.  His smile was too cute to burst so I didn't mention my hop about the sandpaper and block, while me mind was thinking, "We've got a feck load of walls to sand."

Never mind.  Wasn't difficult as it happens and we got the room done in time for Ger's visit.  Jack was brilliant too.  He did all those fandangly bits I've no patience for and even painted the ceiling. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 07, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »

A few free tips for your next painting endeavour

- 'Non drip' gloss is all lies.  It DOES drip.  Lots as it happens.  Apply very thin coats to have any chance at all. 

- If it says 'dry to touch within x hours', double that.  Treble it even.  I have proof that this is also lies.  Got my elbow as proof...and me hand.  Sigh.

- Undercoat for woodwork should NOT be extended to the walls just above it in hopes of undercoating two things at once.  Makes getting the wall paint on pretty damn difficult after.  Just sayin'.

- Wear shoes if you want to keep paint off yer feet...including the undersides of them.  Or don't if you like the shoes a lot.   

- Wear a hat.  Trust me on this one.  Otherwise it'll take up to 4 days (and lots of showers) to get the paint out of yer hair.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.  No need to thank me.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1865 on: July 07, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »

This is what I suggested first day.  Jack's thinking was, we've lots of rooms to get through.  Hire was coming in at £30 per week-end.  A few week-ends later, we've nearly the price of a new one spent anyway.

did he think you were going to get charged £30 a week-end for some sand paper?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 07, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »

Jack was hanging the last of the curtains and shelves just as Ger walked in.  It was close, but we managed it between us. 

We'd brought in a nice amount of lager for Ger's visit and he was only here an hour and a bit when it occurred to us we mightn't have enough.  So Jack took off for the shop to gather in more supplies.  Only, we'd a bite to eat which slowed the drinking down to snails pace for a bit after that.  The last of the original stock was only finished last night and Ger left on Sunday!  We've all chilled with age I guess.  Should have the second lot finished by end of the month if we work hard at it. 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 07, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »

did he think you were going to get charged £30 a week-end for some sand paper?

Not at all ya goose.  We'd looked into hiring and buying.  Only so much I can do on my own while he's at work and no way it was all getting prepped in one week.  Buying made more sense with the number of week-ends it would be needed.

BUT - as it happens, we didn't really need it at all.  I'm kinda taking the piss a bit about the sandpaper and block because it really did work grand.  I may have got a hop initially, but was pleasantly surprised in the end.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 07, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »

Ger's visit was lovely as ever.  Always brings a smile to my face when he pops up on MSN asking, "What are your plans for this date?"  I know it generally means he's on the way and this time was no exception.  With the room in order and beer in the fridge, we were ready for him.

He landed with a big bunch of flowers and we gave him a tour of our DIY projects.  Later we headed for the pub and sat outside enjoying the sun and each other's company.  The 'big fight' was on telly that night and we'd been invited to someone's house to watch it, so eventually we made our way there.  I'd no real interest in the fight and found myself out in the garden with other like minded people...jumping on a trampoline like a bunch of kids.  As ya do. 

Next day, Jack made a huge brekkie for the three of us and Ger headed home.  Until next time...

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 07, 2011, 09:40:08 AM »

Between flying ants and 'thunderflies', I've gone a bit vicious.  The little barstewards are everywhere!  And every time I see either, I squash the kajeebees outta them.  You'd think they'd have some sort of message system set up.  A warning to future generations to stay away from that lunatic in Leicestershire.  But no.  With every kill, more land to take their place. 

I'm starting to look a bit deranged.  Swatting randomly at me arms and legs when I'm not entirely sure anything is even there.  The little feckers are taunting me.  I know they're just waiting for the men in white coats to carry me off so they can line up and laugh their arses off. 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 07, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »

So this week was a bit less mental.  If you don't count the flying things.  We've the back garden nearly done and prep for planting is the next phase.  Have to decide what we want and where.  Will have a google search later to see if there's any good sites on the net for helping you plan a new garden.  Want to get it right first time so we can proper chill and enjoy it.

Indoors will re-commence next week.  I'd grand intentions of ticking a few items off the indoors list this week, but my body and the rest of my brain just weren't inclined to join the wee portion of me brain that had the idea.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1871 on: July 07, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »

If you don't count the flying things. 

did ger not help you out?

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 07, 2011, 10:02:39 AM »

July 4th came and went.  Yep, it does that every year, I know.  But it's the one time of the year where I get homesick for my family in America.  Christmas, Thanksgiving and all the rest can GTFO as far as I'm concerned.  No bother at all with them, but July 4th...sigh.  That's when we'd always done a huge family reunion.  Might not see some of the people the rest of the year, but always on the 4th.  It was always lovely to catch up with everyone, see how the kids were growing and find out who's doing what these days.  There's always a huge BBQ and maybe some swimming, followed by fireworks that night. 

We're not big into emails and letters.  Barely do greeting cards at the Hallmark designated times.  But we always did July 4th.  And I miss it.  A lot.

That said, I'm getting better as the years go by.  When I first moved away, you were best advised to steer clear of me for two weeks prior to the date.  Eventually it dwindled down to just the few days from once July hit.  And with the past couple of years, it's really only been 'the day of' that had me a bit moody and lonesome. 

This year I was pretty good.  Yeah, the day still gets to me.  But I don't get moody like I use to.  Just quiet.  Jack says he didn't notice anything wrong on the day.  Guess I hid it well.  Probably best that he was at work for most of it.  Gave me time to clear the head before he got home.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1873 on: July 07, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »

Jack says he didn't notice anything wrong on the day. 

Amazing how quickly people can become comfortable with eachother. Only took him a couple of weeks to stop paying attention Wink

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1874 on: July 07, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »

Seeing as Boldie has turned this into a 'photos of The Duke sitting in chairs' thread, I thought I'd share this photo of Ger relaxing with a beer and a newspaper whilst wearing a fetching hat.

Click to see full-size image.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: