blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Thailand
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thailand  (Read 6413 times)
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »

Keep safe fella, xx

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8648006.stm

I'd be considering swerving Thailand at the moment...

Britons have been warned by the Foreign Office to avoid all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand.

It said the advice "reflects the increasing tension" and fears that violent incidents are occurring across the country, not just in Bangkok.

It follows a series of blasts near a large encampment of anti-government protesters in Bangkok last week, which was already the subject of a warning.

Britons already in Thailand are advised to stay indoors and monitor the media.

This advice reflects the increasing tension in Thailand and our concern that violent incidents of an unpredictable nature are occurring in many parts of Thailand

And they have been urged to regularly check Foreign Office travel advice.

Britons already in the country have also been advised to consider whether it is essential to travel within Bangkok, the country's capital, and to take alternative routes where possible.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8648006.stm

I'd be considering swerving Thailand at the moment...

Britons have been warned by the Foreign Office to avoid all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand.

It said the advice "reflects the increasing tension" and fears that violent incidents are occurring across the country, not just in Bangkok.

It follows a series of blasts near a large encampment of anti-government protesters in Bangkok last week, which was already the subject of a warning.

Britons already in Thailand are advised to stay indoors and monitor the media.

This advice reflects the increasing tension in Thailand and our concern that violent incidents of an unpredictable nature are occurring in many parts of Thailand

And they have been urged to regularly check Foreign Office travel advice.

Britons already in the country have also been advised to consider whether it is essential to travel within Bangkok, the country's capital, and to take alternative routes where possible.

It changes all the time, just keep your eye on it mate. They have no interest in involving tourists in any of the BS so I would probably still go to places outside of Bangkok. I have a friend who was in Thailand during both of the military coups they have had in the last 30 years, he said you wouldn't even know it had happened if you didn't have a TV. Also aside from Bangkok most of the the main tourist places are close to a border with a neighbouring country and it would be dead easy to hop over it in the unlikely event of a proper kick off.

I read a lot of the SE Asia travel forums, and no-one seems too concerned that it will spread, they have all seen it before many times. It all obviously down to what you consider an acceptable level of risk, as they say in Thailand 'up to you'.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »

Thinking about going for 3 - 4 months when I get back from Afghan.

Any recommendations on hotels/stuff to do?

Any poker there?? lol

He's sure gonna be bothered about a few internal rumblings in Thailand...........

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 11:40:49 AM »

Any poker there?? lol

He's sure gonna be bothered about a few internal rumblings in Thailand...........

He won't have his guns and his mates with him though!  Although saying that, there'll be fewer Americans there - so less likely to be shot.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »

Any poker there?? lol

Blonde's very own Chuck Norris.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »

Actually scrap all that.  Lee is from Blackpool, it'll be fine.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »

Just keep your eye on the travel forums and in particular what the expats are saying which isn't very much at the moment......

Here's a general one for the whole of Thailand

http://teakdoor.com/forum.php

You will find one like this for each of the main towns/cities and beach resorts just do a search, that's where all the best up to date info can be found. As I say it wouldn't put me off going............yet.
zzBlizzardzz

The Canadian

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »

in reality the police will probably want a chunky bride off you to get away

hmmm I suppose they're attracted to that kind of thing being generally thin.

Bribe yes, chunky no. Usually costs about 100 baht if stopped at a drink driving check point. Goes up from there.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good" Samuel Johnson

Watch things happen, Make things happen or wonder what the hell happened!! Me
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »

Pretty much as I expect, this stuff has been grumbling on for the last couple of years. I would still go as I've been in contact with a few people I know over there who tell me there is no change apart from a couple of isolated areas in Bangkok........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7646377/Foreign-Office-criticised-over-Thailand-travel-advice.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:45:33 AM by Woodsey » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »

Forgot to say. I think most holiday insurances are invalid if you go to a country against the gov's advice, check the fine print fella's.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »

gov advice has pissed me off. I've got 3 weeks to kill after blondebash and was planning on going to thailand, doubt I will now I can't get insured

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »

gov advice has pissed me off. I've got 3 weeks to kill after blondebash and was planning on going to thailand, doubt I will now I can't get insured

plenty of other places to go in the region that are just as good imo and cheaper..........
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »

You'll be there about same time as me then - 3 weeks is a long time and very expensive in the UK!

yeah, I wanted to go back to india but it's exactly the wrong time of year. might now look into vietnam or cambodia, can get insured to go to either of these even though they're both more dangerous than thailand

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »

You'll be there about same time as me then - 3 weeks is a long time and very expensive in the UK!

yeah, I wanted to go back to india but it's exactly the wrong time of year. might now look into vietnam or cambodia, can get insured to go to either of these even though they're both more dangerous than thailand

Cambodia is as safe as Thailand, its realy no problem, Vietnam has a lot more scams going on. Here are some Cambodia pics (some Bangkok included as well).

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Andr4w1/Cambodia%202009/

I can give you a fair amount of info just pm me what sort of stuff you like to do........
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: