blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Top Set in UKIPT
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top Set in UKIPT  (Read 2118 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »

UKIPT early levels. I've been playing aggressively and raised pretty frequently. I also got caught bluffing four streets by J-J with Q-J and flopped open-ended and had to show on river. Have 14,000 stack. Villain hasn't been too nitty/active, although he has three-bet me a couple of times. On an earlier hand, he three-bet me in pos, I called with Q-Q. We checked Q-J-T flop. I bet 8 turn. He folded.

I raised to 400 from early post with A-A. Villain calls, although seemed tempted by another option (whether it be fold or raise). Daniel Morgan calls in big blind (I think).

Flop: A-T-3 (one spade).

I check, Villain bets (not sure of amount, likely 850 or something).
Daniel folds.
I flat call.

Turn:
I check, he checks.

River:

I bet around 2,750.
He moves all in for circa 15,000 (ie. I'd be calling all in).

I folded after a long dwell as I was confused by his line, and because I don't like folding top set. Easy fold or can I call it off?

Note. I can't recall 100 percent where the A of spades was, if out there at all.
dakky

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »

Nasty and I have to think about it more.

But for starters, bet flop IMO. You're so unlikely to build a big pot here unless you've coolered someone or something silly peels off like it has and you find yourself behind. Start getting chips in and hope someone calls and see what develops. Just bet and hope something develops. You would bet your air/underpairs right?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:32:33 PM by dakky » Logged
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »

Villain good? Usually barrelling equity on the turn, so we can rule spades out no?

What kinda hand do you think you're repping here? Can a hand that c/c, c, bet ever call a shove on river? He tank shove? Or turbo shove? Any reads at all?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
dakky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »

Villain good? Usually barrelling equity on the turn, so we can rule spades out no?

What kinda hand do you think you're repping here? Can a hand that c/c, c, bet ever call a shove on river? He tank shove? Or turbo shove? Any reads at all?

I thought he would probably barrel spades on the turn too
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »

Why are we keep playing sets so passively ? I know you weren't looking for analysis but we should be betting the QQ on a QJ10 board ?

I would generally cbet here but I'm c/r if I am checking.If we c/c  by doing this at no point in the hand now can we become the aggressor without looking super strong.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »

Not liking the check on the flop Snoops, but once you have

Hating the check on the turn Snoops

I don't think he has spades. He has bet the flop, and I think he'd bet the turn again with say a pair and spades

I think you are good, call.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:51:02 PM »

yeah what keys says. why oh why are we checking flop?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »

Yeh deffo call

And yeh what Keys said- always bet the flop

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »

how dont we know where the is!
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »

The only hands that beat us are ones that bet the flop with air.

Admittedly the only legitimate hand we seem to be beating is QT, but we can't necessarily rule out some kind of bluff, and these possibilities are surely likely enough vs him having backdoor spades/KJ to be giving us the price to call...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »

Callllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

AT/AQ/TT/33/QQ/randombluffs are all easily in his range here. More likely than the KJ or backdoor spades me thinks.

And bet the flop. Yeah, set of aces does suck a bit as chance of someone else having anything is lowered, but on the chance they do have something we should start building a pot.

Blue text
BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »

errr we build an aggro image then c/c the flop OOP and check turn with the nuts - don't really get it tbh.

He could have KJ, but he also could be overplaying AQ and smaller sets. AQ/TT may fit if he was pondering 3betting before flop then deciding to flat call
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 03:07:47 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I checked because I thought there was better value in inducing a bluff, betting an inferior hand, or letting them hit something on the turn than betting and folding out what I felt, at the time, was a high percentage of their range. Villain didn't seem like the type to float, and I thought he'd three-bet J-J to K-K, and would fold a gut-shot and under pairs to the 10 (it's hard to transfer table dynamics and feelings on opponent into text). This was a rare check for me on such a big flop, but for some reason I convinced myself they were braced to fold and I think because I'd missed a lot of flops that day, psychologically, that affected me a little in terms of not wanting it to go snap-fold, snap-fold. I think I can widen his calling range, however, and given that I'd raised a lot preflop (although not c-bet every flop), I likely should have led.

My plan was to check-raise the turn as I thought my line would look odd (ie. consensus is to bet flops when you hit big) and my hand would be better disguised. I folded the river after a long dwell. I didn't feel he was capable of turning his hand into a bluff, and felt he'd just flat call with sets and two pairs (like mondatoo said, my hand looks pretty strong betting this river). This wasn't a crazy table, and he seemed pretty comfortable when he shoved in. He hadn't moved his chips about very much prior, so didn't think he'd put his tourney life on the line at this stage without the goods. Certainly didn't think he was bluffing. Although it's odd that he didn't bet the turn with spades, you could say the same about a bluff I suppose. I wasn't happy with how I played it though. Having said that, I'm not 100 percent it's a snap on the river. I still have him on a very range, but could be wrong.

I rarely play tournaments, and think I make a lot of errors still, so all comments appreciated. Ta.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:34:11 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged
NigDawG

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »

Yeh lol knowing where the As is is pretty crucial

+1 to betting the flop, wanna build a pot and it's silly not having top set in your cbetting Axx range. You say you showed a 4 barrel bluff earlier so def be betting your nut hands.

As played call the shove

Christopher Brammer
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »

how dont we know where the is!

Jesus. I was about to post this
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: