blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 425 426 [427] 428 429 430 431 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1426187 times)
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: March 26, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »

haha, i didnt mean it in an ott way. should just not post stuff like that!

pretty sure cleaners stole 200e from my room yesterday when i was out. not exactly what i need before the 10k, but if i took few days to report it its probably gg.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6391 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »

I was kinda joking about the clique. Pokernews usually know everybody. Like some random qualifier raises and then will find his name. There was a huge hand yesterday which I forgot to report where I folded QQ pre flop and they called me "a player" I don't mind at all just find it funny that I don't get any recognition for the last 1 year of online poker where I've played as much as any other european player online. I'd actually like to be a an ambassador for poker. I really love this game and want it to prosper just things like not winning anything at British Poker Awards, not being invited to these European ones, pokernews not knowing who I am and lots of other really small things piss me off even though they really shouldn't. This obviously sounds really arrogant not meaning it to be but just as usual I prefer to say what I'm actually thinking.

It's refreshing that you are honest about these things, most people feel ashamed to admit they want stuff like this. I personally would love to win a European Poker Award (The staff/media/industry ones), not because I think I've done anything to deserve one, but simply because it would look really great on my CV.

The odds are against you in these things because poker awards are biased towards live poker. All the partners in these things and the voting panel are primarily in the live industry side of things. I previously have been on these panels and in most cases I had to explain a surprising amount about the simplest of things related to online play. PokerNews are a very live centric site, especially since Black Friday, they are also a heavily US-centric site. Makes perfect sense not many of them know you.

Someone asked me if I felt hard done by not being nominated for the media award given that PokerStrategy is the biggest european poker site, but I don't. We are much more towards the online side of things, so I/we simply are not top of mind/tip of tongue when the people who influence these things make nominations.

None of the above is good or bad in my opinion, it's just the way things are. I've always liked the awards as a harmless bit of fun, taking them too seriously doesnt really help. The saving grace for you as a player is to remember some of the players who win are broke. So would you rather look good, or be good?
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: March 26, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »

I was kinda joking about the clique. Pokernews usually know everybody. Like some random qualifier raises and then will find his name. There was a huge hand yesterday which I forgot to report where I folded QQ pre flop and they called me "a player" I don't mind at all just find it funny that I don't get any recognition for the last 1 year of online poker where I've played as much as any other european player online. I'd actually like to be a an ambassador for poker. I really love this game and want it to prosper just things like not winning anything at British Poker Awards, not being invited to these European ones, pokernews not knowing who I am and lots of other really small things piss me off even though they really shouldn't. This obviously sounds really arrogant not meaning it to be but just as usual I prefer to say what I'm actually thinking.

It's refreshing that you are honest about these things, most people feel ashamed to admit they want stuff like this. I personally would love to win a European Poker Award (The staff/media/industry ones), not because I think I've done anything to deserve one, but simply because it would look really great on my CV.

The odds are against you in these things because poker awards are biased towards live poker. All the partners in these things and the voting panel are primarily in the live industry side of things. I previously have been on these panels and in most cases I had to explain a surprising amount about the simplest of things related to online play. PokerNews are a very live centric site, especially since Black Friday, they are also a heavily US-centric site. Makes perfect sense not many of them know you.

Someone asked me if I felt hard done by not being nominated for the media award given that PokerStrategy is the biggest european poker site, but I don't. We are much more towards the online side of things, so I/we simply are not top of mind/tip of tongue when the people who influence these things make nominations.

None of the above is good or bad in my opinion, it's just the way things are. I've always liked the awards as a harmless bit of fun, taking them too seriously doesnt really help. The saving grace for you as a player is to remember some of the players who win are broke. So would you rather look good, or be good?

Yeah I agree, sounded stupid obviously and regretted posting that but thats just the way I am. Find it really cringey that people can win player of the year when they actually lost money on the year. It's partly my fault too, I could do a lot more if I really wanted to. I usually go and grind online or sociliase in groups of 3-5 rather than trying to be in big groups or staying around at player parties etc. Just the way I am, I'm way more introvert than most people would actually imagine. On breaks when everybody gathers together, I just want to go chill by myself and not think about poker or listen to bad beat stories.

If I was on a judging panel you would definitely be the media person of the year and don't think its even close really. I was actually surprised Stapes didn't win that. Not that I thought he should or anything, just seemed how it would be.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6393 on: March 26, 2015, 11:40:20 AM »

Yeah I agree, sounded stupid obviously and regretted posting that but thats just the way I am. Find it really cringey that people can win player of the year when they actually lost money on the year. It's partly my fault too, I could do a lot more if I really wanted to. I usually go and grind online or sociliase in groups of 3-5 rather than trying to be in big groups or staying around at player parties etc. Just the way I am, I'm way more introvert than most people would actually imagine. On breaks when everybody gathers together, I just want to go chill by myself and not think about poker or listen to bad beat stories.

If I was on a judging panel you would definitely be the media person of the year and don't think its even close really. I was actually surprised Stapes didn't win that. Not that I thought he should or anything, just seemed how it would be.

I'm guessing its because he is a yank. Having said that, Jesse May has (rightfully) won a Euro award before.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6394 on: March 26, 2015, 11:43:19 AM »

I'm guessing its because he is a yank. Having said that, Jesse May has (rightfully) won a Euro award before.

Reminds me of a funny conversation I had with a respected American member of the poker media:

"Why didnt Eric Seidel win player of the year?"

"Because he is American, this are the European Poker Awards"

"I know, but he had such a good year"

"That's right, but its the European Poker Awards"

"Can you honestly tell me the panel made the right decision, and that [whoever won it that year] was a better player than Erik Seidel last year?"

"Erm, it's the European Poker Awards"

And the conversation carried on in that manner for a long time.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: March 26, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »

As would-be "Media Person of the Year" (pfft) you probably know that Jesse May was born in Des Moines, Ohio.  

What other famous person once wrote?....

I was born in Des Moines, somebody had to be

PS - No goggling.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6396 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »

As would-be "Media Person of the Year" (pfft) you probably know that Jesse May was born in Des Moines, Ohio.  

PS - No goggling.

I actually do know the answer to that one, and considering your the only person I have ever seen talk about him, I wonder if I must have heard it from you? I've just started reading his science book.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: March 26, 2015, 12:05:18 PM »

PS - No goggling.

I actually do know the answer to that one, and considering your the only person I have ever seen talk about him, I wonder if I must have heard it from you? I've just started reading his science book.

Let me know what you think after you have finished it.

My "Top Ten most enjoyable Books ever" list changes constantly, but ASHONE features in every one.

If I ever had to face solitude, on a desert island, in an old peoples home, or whatever, & I could take one book, that's the one.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »

Tweet I just posted (@plenopads)

@plenopads: Didn't get invited to the European poker awards. Studied turbos for 3 hours then won the 215t for 10kish #notintheclique #justice #fuckem

Had a pretty great day. Woke up late. Went for dinner and coronas with some friends and then played table tennis before getting a massage. Came back and studied with the guys I stake and the other coaches and had lots of really interesting spots. I think we approach turbos differently to most regs. Have been doing pretty well recently in turbos. Started the grind and final tabled 5 tournaments including a win in the 215t for a nice score.

Tomorrow is the 10k which should be good. Have one swap % left in the main event (fedor) so hoping he takes it down. He's probably the best player left and maybe the best player who started!

Funny story about this actually this week whenever I've played everybody has randonly assumed that I'm Felix Stephenson (2nd in main event this year) some italian guy was texting my friend saying "just moved to table with Felix Stephenson remember him from the final table he was awful. maybe 6-7 others said the same thing too. Not sure if that's who people thought I was in the 25k. I mean maybe it's better to be undercover and unknown after all!

I know I've said this this once or twice before but poker awards are utterly pointless and have no bearing on how good the winners are at poker.

Would you rather be a skint live lol pro who has won European player of the year for 2014 or be sitting in your Eastern European (forgotten if you live in Hungary or Romania tbh) home counting the wedge of Euros you've won in the same in calendar year?

Poker awards are popularity contests, you shouldn't care if you never win one.

You've got the lot, that's all the matters in poker.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: March 26, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »

I think they mattered a lot more in 2005-8 when sponsorship deals were being handed out for fun to anyone who won an award or a gukpt side event. 
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6400 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »

Call
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6401 on: March 26, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »

Tweet I just posted (@plenopads)

@plenopads: Didn't get invited to the European poker awards. Studied turbos for 3 hours then won the 215t for 10kish #notintheclique #justice #fuckem

Had a pretty great day. Woke up late. Went for dinner and coronas with some friends and then played table tennis before getting a massage. Came back and studied with the guys I stake and the other coaches and had lots of really interesting spots. I think we approach turbos differently to most regs. Have been doing pretty well recently in turbos. Started the grind and final tabled 5 tournaments including a win in the 215t for a nice score.

Tomorrow is the 10k which should be good. Have one swap % left in the main event (fedor) so hoping he takes it down. He's probably the best player left and maybe the best player who started!

Funny story about this actually this week whenever I've played everybody has randonly assumed that I'm Felix Stephenson (2nd in main event this year) some italian guy was texting my friend saying "just moved to table with Felix Stephenson remember him from the final table he was awful. maybe 6-7 others said the same thing too. Not sure if that's who people thought I was in the 25k. I mean maybe it's better to be undercover and unknown after all!

I know I've said this this once or twice before but poker awards are utterly pointless and have no bearing on how good the winners are at poker.

Would you rather be a skint live lol pro who has won European player of the year for 2014 or be sitting in your Eastern European (forgotten if you live in Hungary or Romania tbh) home counting the wedge of Euros you've won in the same in calendar year?

Poker awards are popularity contests, you shouldn't care if you never win one.

You've got the lot, that's all the matters in poker.

Yeah but poker isn't life. In life it's nice, some would even say important, to be liked, appreciated and even admired. At least for the right reasons. If you think awards are popularity contests for the wrong reasons (as I sort of do) that's a different matter.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6402 on: March 26, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »

Call

Genuinely. I'd been on for previous European Poker Awards panels and knew exactly who the panels consisted of, what their experience and biases were, how much they knew about online poker and pokerstrategy etc. I knew I had no chance, nor did PokerStrategy.

Just like when I single handedly won the 2013 APAT Best Poker Media Provider as an individual up against three companies, I knew I was in with a good shot because I was quite well known amongst the poker communities who voted and plus I had an underdog vs the big corporations advantages. Of course that's when poker awards really meant something:

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:25 PM »

Incred photo.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6404 on: March 26, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »

Call

Genuinely. I'd been on for previous European Poker Awards panels and knew exactly who the panels consisted of, what their experience and biases were, how much they knew about online poker and pokerstrategy etc. I knew I had no chance, nor did PokerStrategy.

Just like when I single handedly won the 2013 APAT Best Poker Media Provider as an individual up against three companies, I knew I was in with a good shot because I was quite well known amongst the poker communities who voted and plus I had an underdog vs the big corporations advantages. Of course that's when poker awards really meant something:

Amazing photo. Perfect.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 425 426 [427] 428 429 430 431 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: