blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:18:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 462 463 [464] 465 466 467 468 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1425664 times)
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6945 on: June 25, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »

Slept for 15 hours, really recharged the batteries. Soccer (fml that I calm it soccer instead of football now) tonight with Byron (guy I commentated on that won the 10k 6max) team. Should be pretty fun.

Can't explain how pumped I am right now though. I really don't care about the beats and the whatever run outs, all I care about is playing fucking awesome. It's so stimulating to realyl test yourself and really push yourself. The one thing is that post game analysis is very tough as you're unable to leak find etc.

There's very few good tournaments left, as in non standard ones. There's a 5k turbo, 3k 6max and then the main event.

I'm still not 100% about the one drop. I've sold the action for it etc, just totally depends how I feel on the day. Could have probably sold at Mark up and free rolled the whole thing. But I don't really like doing it like that.

Best friend comes here on July 1st so from then will play very little poker I guess.

Thinking about post vegas already, just being able to register so many tournaments in one day I'd really sick. Big, big props to all Americans who can't move out the country for whatever reason and keep their heads and mindset in the right track playing live poker it must be really tough, they have all my respect when previously I was just "lol live poker players"

Think I've learned a lot about myself and others on this trip, whatever happens it has been a success.

A friend told me btw that this guy who bluffed 33 May have read the blog or had info passed on to him regarding me potentially hero folding too much. Pretty sick of that's true.

This is pretty crazy. That hand is nuts. Love it when you post about this stuff and the thought processes.. So glad you didn't bin this diary  thumbs up

Have to assume he picked up some kind of live read on you there if he's decided to bluff jam the river. Have you spent much time looking at your own "tells"? Seems like a good way to improve in live poker if not.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: June 25, 2015, 12:33:20 PM »

I'm happy for people to think I'm the absolute worst as long as I'm getting the money.

$$$ wise I'm sure you're up in the top few % these days and some of these guys who don't hold you in as high regard because you haven't won a live 10k yet are mostly fairly busto/playing on stakes and you're far from that. It lets you go under the radar a lot more and that can only be a good thing atm imo. The huge scores will come, just put a little less stress on yourself. Some pressure is healthy but apply it in the right way.

Now go add to the pile!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: June 25, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »

Slept for 15 hours, really recharged the batteries. Soccer (fml that I calm it soccer instead of football now) tonight with Byron (guy I commentated on that won the 10k 6max) team. Should be pretty fun.

Can't explain how pumped I am right now though. I really don't care about the beats and the whatever run outs, all I care about is playing fucking awesome. It's so stimulating to realyl test yourself and really push yourself. The one thing is that post game analysis is very tough as you're unable to leak find etc.

There's very few good tournaments left, as in non standard ones. There's a 5k turbo, 3k 6max and then the main event.

I'm still not 100% about the one drop. I've sold the action for it etc, just totally depends how I feel on the day. Could have probably sold at Mark up and free rolled the whole thing. But I don't really like doing it like that.

Best friend comes here on July 1st so from then will play very little poker I guess.

Thinking about post vegas already, just being able to register so many tournaments in one day I'd really sick. Big, big props to all Americans who can't move out the country for whatever reason and keep their heads and mindset in the right track playing live poker it must be really tough, they have all my respect when previously I was just "lol live poker players"

Think I've learned a lot about myself and others on this trip, whatever happens it has been a success.

A friend told me btw that this guy who bluffed 33 May have read the blog or had info passed on to him regarding me potentially hero folding too much. Pretty sick of that's true.

This is pretty crazy. That hand is nuts. Love it when you post about this stuff and the thought processes.. So glad you didn't bin this diary  thumbs up

Have to assume he picked up some kind of live read on you there if he's decided to bluff jam the river. Have you spent much time looking at your own "tells"? Seems like a good way to improve in live poker if not.

Lol live reads. "Dis guy is a world famo sicko, ima get him to fold da faackin nuts"

sola virtus nobilitat
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6948 on: June 25, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »

Lol live reads. "Dis guy is a world famo sicko, ima get him to fold da faackin nuts"

You don't think live reads exist?!? 

Or you just think the guy was trying to be a hero?
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: June 25, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »

Definitely not anything like live reads. He said he assumed he thought id bet pretty wide for value and fold. Thing is things like this happen in live poker. People keep their mind for 3 days and then just have a brainfart. 99.1% of the time he will be out of the tournament as everybody obviously calls.

Also live reads can't really be correct because I had a full house and would have been giving off strength rather than weakness.

In terms of my own live reads I actually try my best to make others think the opposite of what I'm doing. Always trying to look strong when weak, weak when strong etc. I try to generally give the image off as the young lunatic that doesn't give a fuck but in reality I'm actually pretty tight.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: June 25, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »

If he has a live read on Pleno here, he seems to have got it horribly wrong. If Pleno is giving off "I am weak" tells when holding the near nuts he isn't doing much wrong?

I think the most likely explanation is he has mistimed his plan and got lucky that Pleno folded.  Maybe part of his plan relied on Pleno folding big hands, but that isn't the same as a tell?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: June 25, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »

This is pretty crazy. That hand is nuts. Love it when you post about this stuff and the thought processes.. So glad you didn't bin this diary  thumbs up

Definitely not anything like live reads. He said he assumed he thought id bet pretty wide for value and fold. Thing is things like this happen in live poker. People keep their mind for 3 days and then just have a brainfart. 99.1% of the time he will be out of the tournament as everybody obviously calls.

Also live reads can't really be correct because I had a full house and would have been giving off strength rather than weakness.

In terms of my own live reads I actually try my best to make others think the opposite of what I'm doing. Always trying to look strong when weak, weak when strong etc. I try to generally give the image off as the young lunatic that doesn't give a fuck but in reality I'm actually pretty tight.

I think he's made a bad move based on a bad read. Lucky for him you were not in the right place mentally and I don't believe his perceived read on you was about your mental place.

EDIT: Great Minds..... Doob
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:06:35 PM by bobAlike » Logged

Ah! The element of surprise
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: June 25, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »

I'm happy for people to think I'm the absolute worst as long as I'm getting the money.

$$$ wise I'm sure you're up in the top few % these days and some of these guys who don't hold you in as high regard because you haven't won a live 10k yet are mostly fairly busto/playing on stakes and you're far from that. It lets you go under the radar a lot more and that can only be a good thing atm imo. The huge scores will come, just put a little less stress on yourself. Some pressure is healthy but apply it in the right way.

Now go add to the pile!

I agree completely mate, just want to satisfy myself now, not Doug Polk, the rich Germans or any other clique.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6953 on: June 25, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »

Interesting. Thanks  thumbs up
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6954 on: June 25, 2015, 02:10:30 PM »

If he has a live read on Pleno here, he seems to have got it horribly wrong. If Pleno is giving off "I am weak" tells when holding the near nuts he isn't doing much wrong?

I think the most likely explanation is he has mistimed his plan and got lucky that Pleno folded.  Maybe part of his plan relied on Pleno folding big hands, but that isn't the same as a tell?

Yep. Agree with you. I didn't necessarily mean it was the right live read fwiw. Tbh was more interested in how pleno assessed his own live tells etc. But yeah what you say makes teh sense
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: June 25, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »

In terms of live stuff there's actually something I've bought tonight that Timothee Adams told me about at football. It's the special thing Wushu uses that gives him amazing posture and it's supposedly very beneficial for live poker.

Things that I do are

1- never looking at my cards till it's my turn. If it's not my turn and I look at my cards it's my trigger that I'm being impatient and will often fold the hand if it's a close one to punish myself from looking

2- when in the bb instantly start staring at UTG and then every player until it's my turn. I don't stare anybody down pre flop except for that

3- if a weak player is on my left whenever I bet / raise into them I will stare them down until they fold/act

I know I have a really big tell which I can't say here for obvious reasons but whenever I have a big hand I keep trying to do the thing I do when I'm weak. When im weak and doing it naturally as soon as the player looks away I instantly do the tell to get it out the way whilst I can.

When I'm in a big unconventional pot such as leading flop, 4betting pre flop, c/r river etc if it's against a good player I can't help but just smile a lot. No idea why this is but it's definitely balanced. They are usually in wtf mode and just generally amuses me. I usually tell them that "I always smile sorry"

Whenever there is somebody very serious and who stares you down like Timex or just somebody wth a really good table presence I can't stare back at them I generally just try to look away/down at the felt and let them win the ego war pretty easily.

I talk a lot in pots, especially on the river I will talk very much and try my best to manipulate one way or the other. I'd say I talk in hands more than any other player I've played against, people might think it's a bad Thing but I'm pretty comfortable doing it.

If you had to tell me one tell you look out for when you're playing that you think is reliable what would you say it would be?

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: June 25, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »

In terms of live stuff there's actually something I've bought tonight that Timothee Adams told me about at football. It's the special thing Wushu uses that gives him amazing posture and it's supposedly very beneficial for live poker.

Things that I do are

1- never looking at my cards till it's my turn. If it's not my turn and I look at my cards it's my trigger that I'm being impatient and will often fold the hand if it's a close one to punish myself from looking

2- when in the bb instantly start staring at UTG and then every player until it's my turn. I don't stare anybody down pre flop except for that

3- if a weak player is on my left whenever I bet / raise into them I will stare them down until they fold/act

I know I have a really big tell which I can't say here for obvious reasons but whenever I have a big hand I keep trying to do the thing I do when I'm weak. When im weak and doing it naturally as soon as the player looks away I instantly do the tell to get it out the way whilst I can.

When I'm in a big unconventional pot such as leading flop, 4betting pre flop, c/r river etc if it's against a good player I can't help but just smile a lot. No idea why this is but it's definitely balanced. They are usually in wtf mode and just generally amuses me. I usually tell them that "I always smile sorry"

Whenever there is somebody very serious and who stares you down like Timex or just somebody wth a really good table presence I can't stare back at them I generally just try to look away/down at the felt and let them win the ego war pretty easily.

I talk a lot in pots, especially on the river I will talk very much and try my best to manipulate one way or the other. I'd say I talk in hands more than any other player I've played against, people might think it's a bad Thing but I'm pretty comfortable doing it.

If you had to tell me one tell you look out for when you're playing that you think is reliable what would you say it would be?

When someone sighs when the river is dealt and looks on in disgust. ie. just rivered the nuts.

Ah! The element of surprise
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: June 25, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

Yo I don't get this whole only look at your cards when it's ur turn coup?? I know a lot of players do it, I used to do it! But why is it better to wait until 9 pairs of eyes fall upon you before looking? Nowadays I snap crafty look and then when it's my turn I pretend to look for the first time and give off a minute manufactured initial reaction. All the staring dudes think they are picking up something but it's actually what I'm putting down. Not sure people are as good at suppressing instinct so their initial reaction to strong and weak hands is identical! Missed opportunity to throw out a reverse tell imo.

Pads do you wait to look online? No! So it's just another thing that is different in approach.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: June 25, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »

When the old fart that has been asleep in the 8 seat for 2 hours is suddenly sat bolt upright.  Yea "ldo" etc, but I have often seen an internet-type player raise in the 5 seat, having not seen the 8 seat, while I'm sat there thinking "I wouldn't do that if I were you...."  5 Minutes later in the interview, he is saying "yeah cooler, ran into a hand, what can you do?"  So, pre-flop, rather than look at UTG and each player in turn, surely you'd be better off looking the other way, start at the button and work towards UTG?  That's were the genuine information is likely to be on offer.  Whatever early position action that you miss by doing that.. well the info is there from their bet.  Whereas if you start from UTG, by time the button has their turn to act, they've long since reacted to their hole cards and thought through their likely action and have had time to consider EP action as it unfolds etc... ?

Sort of as an extension of that point, but often players to your left are giving away the fact that they intend to fold, (or are busy counting out a raise, lol) often so reliable that it is like having the button once or twice extra each orbit.

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: June 25, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »

I have a few favorites... but one that is only really useful after a hand and I seem to see a lot...

People snap counting their chips after a pot. I almost always know what every player has to within a few %, but every time I've just tried to bluff I always snap count my stack to make sure I know how many chips we have left.

Smiley

And +1 to the live tells on certain people.... I had a cash pot where I 3bt pre IP, cbet, cbet and tank check give up on 77629 a week ago.

I was going to consider the all in river bet but then the guy snapped his stack down and fidgeted, then looked up at me and for the first time in any pot started talking to me.... "I've got a little something...". Now at the time part of me expected him to try and get to showdown cheaper by leading small or by trying to the talk me into giving up as he didn't seem comfortable on the turn.

What hand does he have that raise/calls oop then cc cnervouscall and now talks to me......Huh? 99 full?

After another minute of staring at him and another minute of really trying to go through every hand I've seen him play.... I partly chickened out and partly felt like I was somehow getting trapped here....

Check....
"Oh I have 99,  you had an over pair, right? I just couldn't fold when it was only 7 high.... "
Nice hand sir.... Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 460 461 462 463 [464] 465 466 467 468 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: