blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 580 581 [582] 583 584 585 586 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1424816 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8715 on: November 10, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »

If you're willing to take a risk I can get you 3500%

The older I get, the better I was.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: November 10, 2017, 06:39:10 PM »

Whats that the current inflation rate in Zimbabwe
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: November 10, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »

$100 invested in Apple in 2002 would now give you a return of $5000
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: November 10, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »

Why are we suggesting to lock up some of pads BR to secure his financial future....and putting the money into high risk stocks?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: November 10, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »

$100 invested in Apple in 2002 would now give you a return of $5000

£300,000 invested in Marconi in 2005 would now give you a return of f**k all.

What's your point?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »

No it would not

1. depends what you bought the stock for
2. you should have a stop position so yo can curtail your losses

Basic investment practice
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8721 on: November 10, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »

Warren Buffett bet $1m that the S&P 500 would beat a portfolio of hedge funds over ten years, he collected earlier this year after, the hedge funds did so badly that the bet was easily lost with half a year to go.

S&P was up 7.7% on average over ten years, the hedge funds 2.2% a year. http://www.aei.org/publication/warren-buffett-wins-1m-bet-made-a-decade-ago-that-the-sp-500-stock-index-would-outperform-hedge-funds/

I have no idea where you get 18% from.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: November 10, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »

Warren Buffett bet $1m that the S&P 500 would beat a portfolio of hedge funds over ten years, he collected earlier this year after, the hedge funds did so badly that the bet was easily lost with half a year to go.

S&P was up 7.7% on average over ten years, the hedge funds 2.2% a year. http://www.aei.org/publication/warren-buffett-wins-1m-bet-made-a-decade-ago-that-the-sp-500-stock-index-would-outperform-hedge-funds/

Many funds have done very well over the last 5 years if you have the ability to move your money around, my own investments are not far from the number mike has suggested. It’s the 5 years previous to that, that were a problem   talktothehand
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:12:59 PM by Woodsey » Logged
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: November 10, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »

Your replies always seem to be fractious

I can assure that returns of 18 percent are easily achievable and I have just looked at my portfolio over the last five years and these are the returns that have been achieved each year through my stockbroker.

I do agree that I have not taken into account inflation and tax – taking them into account the yield return is probably more like 13 percent allowing for allowances.

Insinuating that financial advisers and hedge funds are not good – so far off the mark.

U2 the band have made more money from their investments early on in Facebook and Google than they have from their music career - decisions made by their financial adviser

Nobody is saying hedge funds are no good just that your 18% figure as being a standard return is absurd.  And that is before fees, tax and inflation into account.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »

Many funds have done very well over the last 5 years if you have the ability to move your money around, my own investments are not far from the number mike has suggested. It’s the 5 years previous to that, that were a problem   talktothehand

You can’t just switch between hedge funds willy nilly though.  They have redemption windows.  On top of that if they make heavy losses they can “gate” investors to prevent a fire sale.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: November 10, 2017, 10:17:56 PM »

You can’t just switch between hedge funds willy nilly though.  They have redemption windows.  On top of that if they make heavy losses they can “gate” investors to prevent a fire sale.

Yes, you can with some companies.....I do it all the time although I’m limited to the few hundred funds the company invest in. I’m  yet to make a ‘heavy loss’
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »

Apologies to Pads – I think we may have drifted away from his original post.

I for one will be interested to know how he decides to utilise his bankroll.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: November 10, 2017, 11:05:27 PM »

Yes, you can with some companies.....I do it all the time although I’m limited to the few hundred funds the company invest in. I’m  yet to make a ‘heavy loss’

Be surprising if these are hedge funds

sola virtus nobilitat
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: November 10, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »

I don’t think these are hedge funds in the traditional sense.  More just multiple long only investment funds with different strategies?  You are unlikely to make a heavy loss because they don’t have leverage and you can switch easily due to liquid underlyings.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: November 11, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »

However, if the house money is spare, then I think it's better put in a house, than into a bar or restaurant or some other industry where you have no experience and are basically just punting, even if smart people are involved in the project.

Think this nails it, especially the last comment.

Think this is important, diversity is pretty good, but don't you think his stable is pretty optimal diversifying, he's running a poker stable, totally unlinked to his own play in an industry he knows backwards.

I recently invested very small into a bonds shares thing, had a contract 20 pages + - I didn't read any of it, just had my solicitor check the company out and found it was a legit 10 yr+ established business so just gave it a spin as they were saying they could deliver returns (bigger than mikey suggested) my thought process is basically that if they do it great and if they dont then whatever but i'm fairly happy they wont nick my money.

Thats some pretty woeful analysis I've done right there, but I don't have time to learn about stocks and shares, surely its best to look for more projects in a field you understand? Rather than just firing £100k over to a hedge fund and hope you get some money back

Pages: 1 ... 578 579 580 581 [582] 583 584 585 586 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: