blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1265 1266 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 1272 1273 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2559171 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19020 on: April 30, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »

I think that's what he meant, that this was his first positive mention!?

(RE Fred)

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #19021 on: April 30, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »

I think that's what he meant, that this was his first positive mention!?

(RE Fred)

Could be. The exclamation mark suggested otherwise but let's be optimistic.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #19022 on: April 30, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »

Another one is excessive tanking- this bores the recreational players who generally like a fast game, get restless and frustrated if a hand is taking ages. I try and play super fast when I'm aware that there is a player in the game who's getting restless.

This isn't exclusive to non pros. Bores everyone

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19023 on: May 01, 2016, 12:05:45 AM »

Keith came 20th in the 1k for 7k, with 210k up top. An early sweat for the silver pigeon!

Bad couple of days for me and le statman though, bricked the 2.2k and a 1k satellite and I played some 25/50 and lost 7k.

EPT Main tomorrow, the main part of the trip is just starting I guess!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #19024 on: May 01, 2016, 12:14:59 AM »

Do u think there's any value in these super high rollers? How much of their own action do these players have? Can u ever see a time where u might be able to play one?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19025 on: May 01, 2016, 12:38:13 AM »

Do u think there's any value in these super high rollers? How much of their own action do these players have? Can u ever see a time where u might be able to play one?

I'm sure theres enough value that most of the pros that enter them are doing so profitably. I can't imagine a time where I might think of myself as profitable in them! I don't have aspirations to play them or to get good enough to play them, pretty content at the level I'm at.

I think most pros will have around 20-40% (say in a 50k) some will have as little as 10 or even 5, and some like Negreanu/Ivey and a handful of the super elite will have more/much more.

I heard the following logic from a pro:

If I sell 90% for a 100k at 1.05, then I'm paying 5.5k to play a 10k effectively. So even if he's losing in the field, that's still a sweet deal for him (not his investors lol). If he's got a 10% ROI then he's paying 5.5k and has an EV of 11k. I can see why people do it.

Meh maybe I will play one one day ha! It's kind of glass ceiling for me, I feel like I'll never get that kind of backing without having a sick online record, which I have no interest in getting so probs will never happen and that's just fine.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #19026 on: May 01, 2016, 12:45:33 AM »

You could sell for a $25k and probably $50k really easy I think. I'd likely buy a piece.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19027 on: May 01, 2016, 12:47:26 AM »

Great answers Alex. I keep trying to emulate these trips but it never seems to work out. I'm only pencilling in Barcelona this year. I was curious to see the long term potential you think poker has. I just feel like if I'm in the position to give up poker having worked hard in my 20s then to have a family with a lot more free time/social able hours (this does presume I'd get a job I guess)

If Stars offered you a fairly low paying contract would you take it? What about Party or 888? Have any sites ever spoken to you? I guess it's not really been a thing for years.

Long term potential for poker I feel is all in the live arena, always have said that. I think there'll be an extremely small number of exclusively online pros in a few years time. Just the way the industry is going. Live cash and live tournaments have all got long term potential. As soon as stars make their live tournaments unbeatable by hiking the rake up like they're doing online then it's time to worry.

RE getting a sponsorship. Wouldn't really be bothered by it. I'd never sign up for anything low paying where I had to be a yes-man / do loads of media spam or had to stay in and play online for certain festivals or sundays or whatever. I like my life as it is. Online poker is something I like to do maybe 3 or 4 nights a year, tops.

I'd like to work with DTD and Party but 888 no, stars yes if it was like Jake's deal, no otherwise. Dream on though lol.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
stato_1

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #19028 on: May 01, 2016, 12:52:35 AM »

How much do you think you will weigh when you are 40 compared to currently?

Ha good question. Most of the last 10 years I've been around 11 stone, few pounds either side. Then I weighed myself a couple weeks ago and I was 12 stone 8! I couldn't believe it.

I don't exercise or eat well, but it's never been an issue until now lol. And being engaged and with a poker players lifestyle, I can only see it getting worse lol.

I'll go for 16 stone by 40 Cheesy

Meh that's where I got to at 40, so probably a fair guess!  Grin

One time!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #19029 on: May 01, 2016, 12:59:35 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

Fourty players banned from one cardroom? I'm assuming this was in London, but even so it feels like a lot. Where did they all go? Was this a CRM initiative or the result of lobbying by other pros and regular recs?

Hope the trip turns round for you.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #19030 on: May 01, 2016, 01:56:28 AM »

Imo the reason all the excessive tanking and headphones/ipads and being fucking miserable all the time is a lot to do with the tv coverage of the game. Most of what gets shown on tv is tournament poker, and the tanking in that is excessive in the extreme, although that probably has something to do with the huge amount of money involved and not wanting to screw it up. Still, I think that's what's caused it, and most of the live "pros" that behave in this way imo can't actually be that good at poker, because they're making such an obvious mistake. Aside from the problems with being a dick at the table being bad for the longevity of the games, you're killing your own hourly with the tanking and having to clarify stuff with the dealer because your music is too loud or you weren't paying attention, and you're missing out on all the chatter which can be pretty insightful. Disagree with Negreanu on a lot of things, but when he did that interview where he said Timex was being silly doing the whole serial killer stare down thing every pot and that instead Daniel likes everyone to feel comfortable and happy/chatty I thought he was spot on.

-Not showing cards if a recreational player asks. This is a minor one but I think again it gives off a bad impression - that you are there to make the maximum £ you can and you don't want to give anything away. I think it's just nice to show the odd value hand to a recreational player to let them know they made a good fold, or that they're not being run over. Shows a human side to you and really gives nothing away yet might make them think of you as a nice guy.

Was talking about this one last week actually, and I think the whole never show your cards thing is a load of bollocks too. I think most people go through that stage, but honestly, what the hell is anyone gonna do with the "information" you give them by showing your cards? So you've shown a bluff, they're just gonna call you every pot because they know you can bluff? Or you've shown them you've 3b a shit hand, they're just never going to fold to your 3bs? I'm not a fan of showing cards to try and piss someone off, unless they properly deserve it, but the odd friendly needle and good hand shown has to be good for the atmosphere at the table, and has to be good for the game overall, right?

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19031 on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »

Main event updates:

I was drawn on the same table as Keith, directly out of position! We had an amazing table. A $10 spin and go qualifier who'd never played live before (obv he bagged up the table chip lead of 140k!) and almost no other pros.

Not a great performance from us though, 66k for me and a Keith Johnson trademarked 12k for him. He even doubled up through me with 77 vs my JJ. I made Jacks full on the river but he'd flopped quads so that was no good!

Stato bust and Deadman has 80k. Best value EPT I've ever played.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19032 on: May 03, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »

Main event status: busto

2k side event is going alright tho, me and Keith still in with 70 left and 55 paid. 140k up top. Finishes today so hopefully chop that.

Really tempted by the 25k tomorrow!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #19033 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »

Get it won lad!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19034 on: May 03, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »

Get it won lad!

Pages: 1 ... 1265 1266 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 1272 1273 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: