blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Diary Of A Fenland Punterer
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 63 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diary Of A Fenland Punterer  (Read 143202 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »

What happened to Shergar iyo?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »

I Posted it for a bunch of reasons.

I love this thread, because it's like-minded peeps, marshalled by a full-time punter who earns his corn quietly, & has done for a while. I do a bit of financial toing & froing with Chomps, & I like him, & his writing style, a lot.

I have been immersed in gambling culture all my life, nearly. I have books galore on racehorse breeding, bookie tales, da de da. I've always wanted to mix with gambling people, in dodgy places, playing cards, staying up all night, having a nice wedge in my back pocket. It's the world I dreamed of being part of.

I've worked for a bookie as a youngster, then spent 40 years the other side of the counter, now I'm back working for a bookie. I think that brings a great, & different, perspective to the whole gambling scene, & I thought a few tales from the inside might be viewed with interest. It had never occurred to me at the time, of the hostility towards Bookies, something which, quite frankly, I don't understand, but I know to be a fact. In short, I had forgotten I had become "the enemy", & had not expected to be seen as such!

I also felt that a few stories of pain & gain, losses & winnings, the "inside line" from a bookies perspective, would not only be interesting to many, but might just help the Sky sponsorship of blonde. So yes, a bit of puff in there, too.

I deffo, 100%, do not want to knock this Diary off it's splendid track, so I think I'd best hold back with the inside guff.

I really ought to sit down & write a book. My eyes pop out some days, now I can see what it's like to run a modern, Online Gaming, organisation. Never have I been so fascinated, or in awe, of the things I see "behind the scenes". Every day.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »

What types of bets don't bookies like, apart from winning ones of course?

Always been the same I guess. When I was a trainee betting shop manager for Coral, the manager told me to keep an eye on win singles when taking bets and just accept everything else. That says it all.

They all fall for it. Even Luton ledge Dick Lynch. Last night he was telling me he had a double on a 7-2 winner. With Kauto Star!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:22:25 PM by Chompy » Logged

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2011, 11:24:31 PM »

They like all bets. Liquidity is golden.

If there were a type if bet they would prefer not to take, it'd be straightforward, old-fashioned, singles. Those often lose money on singles, but it matters not, relative to the amount that is wagered on multiples, accas, & sub-markets.

If betting were prohibited on multiples, accas & sub-markets, most Online Gaming & Sports Betting companies would close the door. The profit comes from punters who want to beat the bookies 3 or 4 times on the bounce. Take that, all day. No punter ever made a living doing multiples. Bookies make a living accepting such bets, though.

It was always so.

PS - I am sheer guessing here, but I'd think that the singles market is barely 10% of the market as a whole. Just as well, too, as there are some cute singles bettors around.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:32:19 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »

If there were a type if bet they would prefer not to take, it'd be straightforward, old-fashioned, singles. Those often lose money on singles, but it matters not, relative to the amount that is wagered on multiples, accas, & sub-markets.

If betting were prohibited on multiples, accas & sub-markets, most Online Gaming & Sports Betting companies would close the door. The profit comes from punters who want to beat the bookies 3 or 4 times on the bounce. Take that, all day. No punter ever made a living doing multiples. Bookies make a living accepting such bets, though.

It was always so.

the biggest winning bet i ever saw was an 33p e/w six fold.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2011, 11:35:41 PM »

The Sony Golf outright market, which was settled yesterday, was a bad one - Ernie Els was very well-backed in an illiquid book.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2011, 11:36:48 PM »

What happened to Shergar iyo?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »

It was always so.

Yup, but no tears for the bookies - their PR machines get it out quickly, & the column inches & SEO payback is immense.

A chap recently scooped half a mill on Sky Vegas, so they bigged it up everywhere, & turnover shot up the next day!

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »

Nobody is quite sure But RUPotting reckons he saw him in Tesco last week.

Saw some old footage of the kidnap stuff not long ago. Who did they go to? Derek Thompson! Don't get me started on Tommo. EVER!

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »

Nobody is quite sure But RUPotting reckons he saw him in Tesco last week.

Saw some old footage of the kidnap stuff not long ago. Who did they go to? Derek Thompson! Don't get me started on Tommo. EVER!

What was the footage like? Where did you see it?

What are your thoughts on Derek Thompson?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »

The Sony Golf outright market, which was settled yesterday, was a bad one - Ernie Els was very well-backed in an illiquid book.

Ernie Els finished -4 in the Sony Open, tied 42nd.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2011, 11:51:06 PM »

It was always so.

Yup, but no tears for the bookies - their PR machines get it out quickly, & the column inches & SEO payback is immense.

A chap recently scooped half a mill on Sky Vegas, so they bigged it up everywhere, & turnover shot up the next day!

some dude won £3.8m from one of our slots on christmas eve!!!!!  Lucky bugger.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2011, 11:57:49 PM »

It was always so.

some dude won £3.8m from one of our slots on christmas eve!!!!!  Lucky bugger.

Who is "our", if you don't mind me asking?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »

Ernie Els finished -4 in the Sony Open, tied 42nd.

Could it have been some sort of sub-market? They deffo lost a few bob on him!

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:13 AM »

Caught some of it over the weekend. Faldo and someone else arguing that Els has another major or three in him. You must be joking. Double figures with me that he ever wins another major.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 63 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: