blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:34:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Diary Of A Fenland Punterer
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 63 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diary Of A Fenland Punterer  (Read 143198 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »

LOLZ @ that. It's utter shite. Been done at 500 on betty for a few pence and not surprised. Can now be layed at 9.8, which is a joke price. If someone wanted to tie up £100k for a few months, stick up £10k at 11 and let them knock themselves out imo.

Looks like a good old-fashioned tipping line job to me. Massive over-reaction. Expect it to be 50+ on the night. Plus they qualify autmoatically, so don't get the song aired in the semis.

Sky slashed it to 5/1? Someone had £9.43 on it?

About to spend all afternoon going through this year's entries...

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »

Check out France's Eurovision entry- class. SkyBet cut to 5/1. http://goo.gl/XQz7H

Very meh and won't get the votes.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 08, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »

I'll hurriedly take back that comment about France. It's a terrible year unless one of the late entries turns out to be about average and France has a chance.

First impressions are that Estonia is the most likely winner but a long way to go with this yet.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »

Estonia the pick of a poor bunch but not much mileage in 8/1 prices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZX3I27nr0Y

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 11, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »

So much to laugh at in this. It's an official Press Release, by the way. "instantly catchy" & pissing in ATM's. "

UK won’t be Blue at Eurovision this year
UK Eurovision odds slashed to 6/1

Punters have been falling over themselves to back the UK to win the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest ahead of the official unveiling of our entry on ‘The Graham Norton Show’ tonight.

Former boy band Blue will represent the UK in Dusseldorf and their incredibly catchy song ‘I Can’ has been an instant hit with Sky Bet customers, who have rushed to back it for the title, forcing their odds to plummet to 6/1 from 14/1. The song was leaked onto the internet and is being hailed a sure-fire success.

The UK is now third favourite for Eurovision glory with Sky Bet behind France (9/2) and Norway (11/2).

Having finished bottom three times in the past eight years, the UK has a very poor recent record in Eurovision but Sky Bet go 16/1 that we finish bottom of the pile again this year and it’s 100/1 that we receive the dreaded ‘nul point’.

Sky Bet’s PR manager Helen Jacob said: “Money has been flooding in for the UK after the song was leaked onto the internet yesterday and the odds are bound to contract again after its official unveiling tonight.

“By the end of the weekend, the UK could be favourites to win!”

The Blue boys were recently given a warning by the BBC after Antony Costa was caught urinating against a cashpoint. Sky Bet go 25/1 that the band are withdrawn as the UK entry and replaced by another act in the May 14 final in Dusseldorf.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »

Does Chompy still post on here?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 11, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »

Surely a defunct diary - look at the views!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 11, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »

who?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 12, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »

Proper bit of diaryism coming...

3am bust out of £100er in Luton
11.30am wake up, find out my 10% swap TID
2pm solid start on the gee-gees
2.40pm decide to put the 10% on Posh putting 4+ past Carlisle
2.41pm betfair crashes, same as every other Saturday of late
2.42pm can't get on, blood pressure rises
2.43pm stupidly decide to wait for betfair to come back up rather than putting the bet on with fixed odds firm
3.02pm Posh 1-0 Carlisle
3.24pm Posh 2-0 Carlisle
3.45pm Posh 3-0 Carlisle, still no Betfair
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:47:28 PM by Chompy » Logged

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »

Betfair, the internet's largest betting exchange, is expected to ban the use of automatic trading programs - known as bots - on its website, following a system crash that kept the site offline for two hours on Tuesday afternoon.

The crash has highlighted a practice that has been going on for several months, much to the surprise of the vast majority of Betfair's regular clients, with one punter claiming that his computer program has made him hundreds of thousands of pounds.

A bot is a computer program that can access a website and strike or lay bets, just as any human punter can. Unlike a regular punter, though, it does not need to eat, drink or sleep, and can request a web page several times a second.

About a dozen Betfair clients are thought to have been using bots to scan the site for chances to bet overbroke, or otherwise gain a guaranteed edge on other users. They will now be warned to switch off their bots, or be banned from using Betfair's site.

A Betfair spokesman said yesterday that Tuesday's problems were not caused directly by the use of bots on their site. However, the fact that a number of the programs were attempting to access Betfair dozens of times a second, while technicians were struggling to get it online, meant that the site was unavailable for much longer than would otherwise have been the case.

The program responsible is believed to have been written by a Betfair user who regularly posts messages in the site's users' forum under the name "Gary". Although his claims are difficult to verify, he has stated that his bot has won him hundreds of thousands of pounds in recent months. He is also thought to have passed on his program to several other punters in recent weeks, increasing the strain on Betfair's servers.

There are several ways in which a bot can suck the value from a robust and vibrant market such as Betfair. It is possible, for instance, to write a program that scans active markets looking for one that is momentarily "overbroke", allowing it to back every runner to return a small, but guaranteed, profit. The bot places the required bets automatically and instantly, and moves on to look for its next opportunity.

Others can be programmed to notice obvious mistakes - a punter, say, who has tried to offer a horse at 2.0 in Betfair's digital odds system, and offered 2.2 instead. A bot could also be set up to back and lay consistently around a given price. Backing at 2.6 and then laying at 2.4, over and over again, would soon try the patience of most human punters, but a computer program does not get bored.

"The result tends to be that there are lots and lots of very small bets going through, which are a pain for everybody concerned," Mark Davies, Betfair's spokesman, said yesterday. "And when we have a problem like we did on Tuesday, the program just keeps on trying to trade, asking the database questions which it is not in a position to answer. We're getting in touch with the account holders in question, and we would expect to make a statement on Friday morning."

The bots are not merely a technical problem for Betfair. The site's image, as a place where punter meets punter in a battle of judgment and wits, is among its biggest selling points. A perception that its clients might in fact be taking on a bank of computers, or that it is pointless looking for serious value because a bot will always get there first, would be damaging.

One problem for Betfair, though, is that a well-written bot will appear to be just another client logging on to the site. To be certain that no-one is using a bot, it may be necessary to study access and betting patterns over several days, or even weeks.

"Depending on how well written a bot is, and if it doesn't hit the hell out of the server, it may be almost impossible to block it," said Glyn Wintle, chief technical officer of backandlay.com, an exchange which is due to launch in the next few months.

"Over time, you can be pretty sure when someone's using a bot, but if someone's got a well-written program that means they can't lose, they'll probably think it's stupid not to run it."

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 12, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »

Betfair is quite simply a badly run company where failures are always someone elses fault.  They don't need to ban anyone they just need to increase their charges for data requests from their servers.   
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 14, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »

After Saturday, it's now 3 beers and dinner at Luton's finest eatery I owe you.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »

Sigh, good to know someone is doing all right out of Posh smashing them in.

Hill's go 11/1 that the mighty Posh put 4+ past Sheff Wed tomorrow night. This is a Sheff Wed team in name only. We're quite capable of getting another hatful now they have nothing to play for.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2011, 02:12:50 PM »

What price on betfair you think?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »

Sigh once more. Still on tilt.

Saturday I should just have switched off the PC as soon as Betty crashed and gone to London Road. Sitting there for three more hours, playing facebook scrabble, eating revels and drinking Stella, while clicking refresh every five minutes, got more and more frustrating.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 63 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: