blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 484904 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 09, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »

6 November 1986  --  17 May 1990 the time it took to win anything. It was another three years before the first Premier League title. (Anyone remember who came seconf that season?)

What chance anyone getting that long nowadays?

Stability is so important. Player power doesn't feature at OT because all the players know that SAF is the power. But it takes time to develop that level of authoirty.

Chelsea have had Grant, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, AVB and DiMatteo since Mourinho left. Arsenal may not have won anything for a while, but they have been consistent and it feels more likely that they will challenge for the league next year than it does Chelsea or indeed Man City (who may well be under new management by then).

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »

Don't think Fergie would get that time now. He joined before premier league era and before champions league got as big. So much money involved now that people don't want to risk what they have now (top 4 position for example) in favour of more long term success. There is no guarantee that the success comes long term so they hope a change sorts the problem short term.
I agree with what you say but I don't know how it changes unless it becomes a more level playing field or the money properly dries up.
sweet potata!

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 09, 2012, 06:23:14 PM »

I thought Rooney player powered his way to a bumper pay rise?
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 11, 2012, 01:29:16 AM »

As far as I know he didn't get all he wanted, could be wrong, but the MIB ensured he didn't leave, lol.

Player power does not exist at United, well not in comparison to some other clubs. Makes me think of something that's always slightly concerned me with SAF, and that's his seeming lack of tolerance for some, and not for others, wonder if he picks his favourites sometimes, players like Gillespie for example, we'll never really know just how far he pushed SAF before he was expelled.

It's come up again recently with Raval Morrison, an amazing talent, who clearly is a very messed up kid, but have we let some players go to easily, when a bit more patience could have turned them round. Giggs wasn't exactly the model teenager, and what came out later clearly showed he's far from perfect, but Fergie kept him. Ok I know Giggs is a legend, but players with immense raw talent like Morrison get shipped out to lesser clubs, where they seem to stop developing at the same rate they did at United. Maybe it's because they're not at the United, or more likely SAF knows best, and they were never going to be that great. Giggs brother played for FC United, he was shit, but what if you'd had him in the United set up, he#d surely be a much better player.

Not sure I'm really making that much sense, it's late and I should be sleeping, anyone have any other examples or thoughts about this? There are other examples, I'll get onto those when I've more time.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 11, 2012, 02:00:19 AM »

As far as I know he didn't get all he wanted, could be wrong, but the MIB ensured he didn't leave, lol.

Player power does not exist at United, well not in comparison to some other clubs. Makes me think of something that's always slightly concerned me with SAF, and that's his seeming lack of tolerance for some, and not for others, wonder if he picks his favourites sometimes, players like Gillespie for example, we'll never really know just how far he pushed SAF before he was expelled.

It's come up again recently with Raval Morrison, an amazing talent, who clearly is a very messed up kid, but have we let some players go to easily, when a bit more patience could have turned them round. Giggs wasn't exactly the model teenager, and what came out later clearly showed he's far from perfect, but Fergie kept him. Ok I know Giggs is a legend, but players with immense raw talent like Morrison get shipped out to lesser clubs, where they seem to stop developing at the same rate they did at United. Maybe it's because they're not at the United, or more likely SAF knows best, and they were never going to be that great. Giggs brother played for FC United, he was shit, but what if you'd had him in the United set up, he#d surely be a much better player.

Not sure I'm really making that much sense, it's late and I should be sleeping, anyone have any other examples or thoughts about this? There are other examples, I'll get onto those when I've more time.

Know what you mean but can't think of too many players who have left who have gone on to bigger and better things. Perhaps Forlan, Pique and Rossi (although not sure how he's doing atm)

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:03 AM »

Know what you mean but can't think of too many players who have left who have gone on to bigger and better things. Perhaps Forlan, Pique and Rossi (although not sure how he's doing atm)

Agreed, some good examples there, Van Nistelrooy is another, we also let David Platt go, although that might have been pre SAF.  That's my point though, players at a top club develop quicker, could go into outliers here, but won't for now. Those that got the boot, Gillespie for his gambling as an example, would they have been much better if they'd not been sold. I doubt we will hear that much from Raval Morrsion now he's at West Ham, no disrespect to West Ham, they've developed some great players, but what could he have become at United compared to what he might become at West Ham. Not sure where I'm really going with this, it's something that keeps cropping up though.

SAF is someone I rarely question on football matters, even if he turned down Joe Hart, just interested to know others views.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 11, 2012, 06:39:36 AM »

I believe the word you were looking for here was negotiated.

He's not the first to take that sort of stance - some players even threaten to leave their hometown club to go and play in West London...

The point I was making, as well you know, was that nobody exerts influence over tactics or selection at OT. The last to try it was Roy Keane. A legend of a player for us but out in days when he effectively questioned SAF's authority.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »

well well welll

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »

Just like showdowns- never ever easy

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
anthonyl
Old blog:

www.lindfield1984.blogspot.com

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »

wow.

watch sir alexs interview.

'we haven't got one decision today' - erm Wigan had a perfect goal disallowed, and Evans should have been sent off!

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 12, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »

wow.

'we haven't got one decision today' - erm Wigan had a perfect goal disallowed, and Evans should have been sent off!

at least he said Wigan deserved to win and were the best team Smiley
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 12, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »

wow.

at least he said Wigan deserved to win and were the best team Smiley

Yup, outplayed, and owned by the Wigan fans, who, when a few of our lot kicked off after the penalty that wasn't given, resulting in the five 0 wading in and dragging them off, started chanting, 'you're man united and you do what your told', owned on the pitch and the terraces. sigh.

One of the noisiest games for a while, not like the bin dippers who clearly only sing when they're winning!

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 22, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »

No idea how we have 3 goals here. Worst twitchy bum game of season! And we are 2 best by a long way

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 22, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »

Hang your head in shame boys!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 22, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »

Sick game. The derby is going to be unbelievable.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: