blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  front page of todays SUN and STAR
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: front page of todays SUN and STAR  (Read 2143 times)
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:03:30 AM »

I again am disgusted beond belief £50  fine this country is ruined
THE STAR shows a soldier maimed by a bomb in afganistan fine £60 for parking in  a disabled bay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »

Sigh @ you actually making me look this up online. I feel dirty now for reading the sun and star online

The ticket given to the soldier (though I don't see how him being a soldier has any relevance here unless you say there should be one law for soldiers/ex-soldiers and another for civilians) was already wiped before he went to the paper.
Obv the parking warden was a twat BUT he was upholding the law (in a completely misguided way but then again I have yet to meet a parking warden who was not a complete and utter pillock about these things)

The fine given to the muslim was obv too low and I have already stated my opinion on that one somewhere else. Free speech obviously should not have been an argument for a low fine in this case as there are limits to free speech.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »

I can guess the story without even going there. Disabled person gets fined because their badge isn't visible. Fine later gets rescinded on appeal. Hate paper tells us the country is going to hell in a handcart? Close?

On the free speech thing, there was an interesting commentary piece in the Sunday Times this week about the Westboro Baptist Church (those mad yanks who picket soldiers funerals with "god hates fags" placards, etc) getting their rights to free speech upheld by the Supreme Court on an 8-1 majority decision. Writer (American, IIRC) said that he'd still rather live in a country that produces decisions like that than one that restricts free speech at all. Made for interesting reading. Obviously can't link to it as it's behind the Times paywall.

Where do you put the limit on free speech? "Free speech doesn't give you the right to shout 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre" came from a Supreme Court judge in a ruling that said that some restrictions were necessary. It's always something that's good for an argument anyway Smiley.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »

I can guess the story without even going there. Disabled person gets fined because their badge isn't visible. Fine later gets rescinded on appeal. Hate paper tells us the country is going to hell in a handcart? Close?

spot on

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »

The guy that burned the poppies is essentially just a troll, exactly the same as people who stir trouble for the sake of it on the internet. He's just doing it for the attention.

People getting their knickers in a twist and making front page headlines is exactly what people like him want.

Just ignore the twat.

In fact, it would almost be worth a tabloid newspaper paying one of these guys to do something like burn poppies simply to provide material for an OUTRAGED FRONT PAGE...
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »

On the free speech thing, there was an interesting commentary piece in the Sunday Times this week about the Westboro Baptist Church (those mad yanks who picket soldiers funerals with "god hates fags" placards, etc) getting their rights to free speech upheld by the Supreme Court on an 8-1 majority decision. Writer (American, IIRC) said that he'd still rather live in a country that produces decisions like that than one that restricts free speech at all. Made for interesting reading. Obviously can't link to it as it's behind the Times paywall.

Where do you put the limit on free speech? "Free speech doesn't give you the right to shout 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre" came from a Supreme Court judge in a ruling that said that some restrictions were necessary. It's always something that's good for an argument anyway Smiley.

That was my guess to the story as well.

What if someone who wasn't disabled had parked in the disabled bay and the soldier had arrived to park there but couldn't.  The traffic warden would have been right to slap a ticket on the other driver's car (without the badge) to act as a deterrent from them doing it again.

I haven't read the story either - so if the facts are different to that and the soldier was displaying a disabled badge, etc., then fair enough have a rant.

As for Westboro Baptist Church, they have the right to spout their bile until it starts restricting another's liberties I guess.  Their site was hacked a few weeks ago by the 'Anonymous' group.  Not sure that's the right course of action, but not going to lose any sleep over it.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »

He was interviewed yesterday giving the reasons why he did it. Made no sense, but then again troll's don't care what's the truth or not. People should burn a particular book next to him if he does it again and see how he reacts.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

spot on

not quite spot on. he didn't even have a badge to be visible biggest non story ever

I'm thinking of writing to the sun to tell them about the time I got a ticket for parking somewhere that I shouldn't. I was furious

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

spot on

not quite spot on. he didn't even have a badge to be visible biggest non story ever

I'm thinking of writing to the sun to tell them about the time I got a ticket for parking somewhere that I shouldn't. I was furious

Get this one. I got a ticket a few months ago for parking in KFC in Sheffield, and yes I did go in to buy food. It was all done via CCTV so no ticket on my car. It was made so difficult for me to contact them so complain that I just ended up paying the fucker in the end.  Angry
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »

spot on

Ah, didn't even read it properly then.

I still blame the foreigners though..coming over here, eating our pancakes!

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »

Telling mothers that their beloved dead sons are burning in hell and setting poppies alight to desecrate their memory is not trolling like you'd see on t'internet. Acts which are deliberately intended to cause massive emotional distress and the virtues of free speech shouldn't be confused. This is simply an expression of hate towards souls who have no right to reply. £50 fine?? I would whip that fucker to within an inch of his life.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »

Telling mothers that their beloved dead sons are burning in hell and setting poppies alight to desecrate their memory is not trolling like you'd see on t'internet. Acts which are deliberately intended to cause massive emotional distress and the virtues of free speech shouldn't be confused. This is simply an expression of hate towards souls who have no right to reply. £50 fine?? I would whip that fucker to within an inch of his life.

Yup need a good hoofing imo. I don't give a monkey's what the pc brigade think either.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

and let them get better and heal and do it all over again to half an inch of his sad sorry fucking life.

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »

spot on

Get this one. I got a ticket a few months ago for parking in KFC in Sheffield, and yes I did go in to buy food. It was all done via CCTV so no ticket on my car. It was made so difficult for me to contact them so complain that I just ended up paying the fucker in the end.  Angry

was this a private car park?....these fines are non enforcable...just a private company trying their luck.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »

[  ] I concern myself with what tabloids report and forget they rely on half the facts. I know they aren't bothered about circulation figures.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: