blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Book review: The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and, er, Dave Shoelace
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book review: The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and, er, Dave Shoelace  (Read 52079 times)
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »

Think I probably need this book more than most

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »

Think I probably need this book more than most

There were actually several times when we were writing the book where I did actually think of you George - not because I think you are a terrible tilter, simply because I would think to myself "thats what George gets stick for (by me)"
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »

I'm only on Chapter 2 so far, but I'm confident this will be the best poker-related content I've ever read based on the first two chapters. Defo recommend it. Smiley

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »

Is this available to steal online yet?

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »

A kindle version will happen but not for a while, whatever the date was going to be for it you have single handedly put it back another 6 months.
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 01:50:25 AM »

A kindle version will happen but not for a while, whatever the date was going to be for it you have single handedly put it back another 6 months.
Lol, joking.  Think Im actually gonna order tomorrow mostly from the reviews Bedi has been giving it.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 08:52:20 AM »

Lol, joking.  Think Im actually gonna order tomorrow mostly from the reviews Bedi has been giving it.
me too, I'm more worried when someone just asks 'is it available for kindle?', thats when I get paranoid lol.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »

me too, I'm more worried when someone just asks 'is it available for kindle?', thats when I get paranoid lol.

What they mean is 'is it available for kindling?'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »

Sigh, I asked that - because I have a kindle and that's the format I buy 99% of books in now.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »

I have just finished reading the book, (as I am sure others have). I thought the thread worthy of a little bump............ and i have written a little review too!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »

Book Review - The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler (and, er,) Dave Shoelace

I am currently lying in a darkened room, cool flannel over my face, and feeling lost. For the second time in 3 short months Jared Tendler has stolen my poker libido!  Like most of you (probably) I love playing poker, unlike most of you today it is the last thing I want to do (even thou IT'S SUNDAY! Yey......ug!)

I have just finished reading "The Mental Game of poker" and in very simple terms, Jared has ripped the top off my head, attached a projector to it and screened the contents to me. He did this whilst reaching in, tearing out my soul, peeling it apart, showing me every layer, and all this whilst asking me " do you like what you see hear and feel?"
As a fully certified tilt patient, the answer is quite clearly, no!

Of course, this is merely the low point. This is simply the point of self-diagnosis. I already know it will get better.  The same thing happened 3 months ago after listening to a session between Jared and online poker player George2loose. In it he questioned George’s motivation for playing and whether his set goals were specific and realistic? Apparently, being the WSOP main event champion wasn’t his (nor my) best starting point. It seems silly now, but at the time the effect on my motivation to play meant I couldn't even be bothered to reach for the on switch on my PC! I told myself "Guy, you have won satellites into the main event three times and played it how many?......... Never! Let alone win the thing". Who was I kidding here?

Of course in my head,  " playing lots" and "winning enough to justifiably fund it" was my "goal," but what had been pointed out,  was that my goal was to fly to the moon, and I had bought a bicycle, 4 train tickets and was travelling in shorts and t-shirt! Jared wasn't telling me (or George) I couldn't make it to the moon, but what he was telling me is that booking a flight a Cape Canaveral might be a better starting point!

This was one tiny dawning realisation (goal setting and achievements) that had made me question why I even played. The happy ending to the story above is I have re-plotted my poker journey, I have set different goals, and if truth be told, a more positive me and a little bit of positive variance later (upswooonnnggggg), has seen me achieve the first few goals  and I feel well on the way to hitting  the others!

So, shortly after getting back into the game, the little devil on my shoulder told me "go on, buy the book"! The devils little helper and book co-author Barry Carter even offered to post it to me! So 3 days before my holiday, the book arrived and was packed away with the iPod and sun glasses for beach time "relaxation"!

What becomes apparent very quickly is that this isn't just a book that you are going to read (in a traditional sense). This is very much a book where after reading the work starts. I guess how where and why you do it will be personal preference, but for me, reading it cover to cover and then going back to do the work is the approach I have taken. However, in going back to the book I will read sections as I look to address each area in turn (sadly I have much to address).

In highlighting, what can only be described as weaknesses in your game, your mental game that is,  the book does an excellent job of letting you know that you are not alone, but far more importantly offers both logical and comprehensible explanations for these issues, and of course solutions for eliminating them moving forward. Everything in the book is explained very well, leaving no doubt as to what is required by the reader to move forward to eliminate the problems! Jared is also candid. This is not going to be an on/off switch quick fix, these will be measurable moving improvements, with no doubt some “raging monkey tilt” setbacks along the way. But progressive improvement is a fundamental cornerstone of the book, as is on-going review and self-assessment.

It must be said that the book is comprehensive in covering the majority of “mental game issues” and certainly includes some I hadn’t even considered as being mental game problems. The content is brilliantly laid out making it an easy read (well I’ll come back to that in a moment). It’s an easy read in terms of usability. It would have been so easy for this book just to be a jumbled mess, especially with so much cross over between various issues. However the well thought out structuring of the book, particularly with thoughts of its eventual practical use (rather than initial read), has led to the production of a wonderfully presented text.  In terms of the “easy” read, this book can make you feel uncomfortable at times; I guess highlighting weaknesses can do that. I’m not ashamed to admit that I put it down for a few days at one point to digest what I had already read and take a little time out!

In breaking down the different types of tilt, I believe it makes this book a ground breaking piece of "must have" poker literature for any serious player. Every player has some form of mental game weakness and now that games have undoubtedly got tougher, people need to expand their own boundaries to find their edge (and eliminate weaknesses). One small negative from a personal perspective, that as a non-professional player, whilst reading, at times I didn't feel like the book was written for me. It occasionally felt like it was maybe a grinders bible (which it doubtlessly is), but having revisited some sections,  I have changed my mind it was more apparent that the sections where I felt this way, were areas which didn't need addressing in my game (motivation for example). Also as I don't rely on poker for a living there are some pressures discussed in the text which I will never face.

Another great feature of this book is that despite the current dark room and cold compress, the book leaves you fully motivated to fix the leaks in your mental game. My current lack of desire to play, I already know will be short lived. As soon as I start the work on fixing my weaknesses, I will be keen to see the improvements in action. The great news too is that some of the "fixes" are really simple. It is like Jared opens a door in the dark corner of your mind, which you have an inert fear of opening, and all he does is bring a torch and show you that there really is nothing to fear. In doing so, you gain some useful space, and have less fear in approaching those other dark places. I'm sure that there will be people who "don't need to read no mumbo jumbo psycho babble", but they really will be missing out. My advice to any serious player would be to read this book with an open mind and be prepared for some shocks and pleasant surprises! Also, don't skip anything first time through. I very nearly missed a section which I genuinely felt wasn't relevant. Not only did this turn out to not be the case, but several problems are interlinked and can be (should be) worked on simultaneously. My approach has been to highlight all relevant weaknesses, score them 1-10 and then head back to fix them (10's first, not the method I would have ordinarily taken).

Another side benefit of the book is that it's principles can also be applied to real life too. I have struggled with a personal matter for over 2 years and I could instantly recognise a direct comparison in the book. I will be applying the theory to my real life too!

In what can only be described as a seminal piece of work, Jared has redefined the mental game of poker. The likes of Schoonmaker have been surpassed, in that this book is your personal tool toward improvement of your own mental game rather than just trying to understand the core psychology behind why opponents might do things. More importantly, and again where this book towers above the rest, this isn’t a short term fix to manage tilt like many before it, but rather a long term cure. There are few players who can truly say that they will not benefit from Jared’s work.

On one level, The Mental Game of Poker is an interesting and thought provoking read, very funny in parts as you laugh at recognising yourself and your opponents on the page, and also some excellent use of poker friendly terminology (raging monkey tilt being my favourite surprise!)

Deeper down, if you choose for it to be so, this is your very own semester of sessions with Jared, opening you up, ironing you out and neatly putting you back together. But of course like any subject YOU need to put in the work to get best results! Not only that but it's a great reference tool which you can go back to time and again!

I recommend you buy this book. What you do with it from there is your own decision, but don't let fear of discovering you own faults be the reason that it collects dust!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:19:49 PM by outragous76 » Logged

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »

Out for Kindle too I see.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »

Thanks Guy, reviews like that really beat the shit out of any other form of marketing we could do.

Silo - yes the book has been available on most of the major ebook formats for about three weeks, apologies for the long wait on that one but we had some serious formatting issues which we hadn't prepared for (what with being noobs to publishing and all).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2011, 06:44:03 PM »

Awesome review

New purchasers..blonde link please!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Leatherman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »

Recieved the book a couple of days ago, although Barry forgot to sign it... ;-)

Satellite King
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: