blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Book review: The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and, er, Dave Shoelace
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book review: The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and, er, Dave Shoelace  (Read 52095 times)
johnkeen

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

Do you suffer from headaches much John?

Only when I'm punched in the face by aspiring poker authors Cheesy
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »

Do you suffer from headaches much John?

Only when I'm punched in the face by aspiring poker authors Cheesy

This post is to prove that I can resist an open goal.

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2013, 04:26:18 PM »

John - you seem to know a lot about Amazon, so can you answer me this?

Is the 'Amazon Verified Purchase' only for one when Amazon sell the book direct? ie. not when a licensed vendor is selling them through their Amazon seller account?

99% of our Amazon sales in the first 3-6 months were from our Amazon vendor account, not Amazon themselves. We also didn't release the kindle version until much later.

I don't know the answer to the above, I've googled it and looked at the T&Cs on Amazon but cant find an answer - but it may be an explanation to why there are not many early verified purchases.  

To answer my own question, it looks like Amazon vendors do also count as verified reviews, so my theory there wasn't correct.

I'll get Jared to confirm the timeline. But our very first batch of sales came from this website http://mentalgameofpoker.com/ and we didn't start selling them on Amazon until after the initial release (Think it was early May).

Once again, in the early marketing efforts we actively asked people to post reviews of the book for others to see, but never asked for five start reviews or asked people to write specific things.

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »

John - Barry and Jared done a lot of advertising a promos before and when the book came out. A lot of reviews could simply be those first customers responding to a simple email/tweet/blog sent en-masse to all those who purchased asking to review. Something that is very standard in marketing.

Also a lot of people, myself including, bought the books direct from Barry. I often write reviews on Amazon but I wouldn't always have purchased from there.

Lastly, in making my own conclusions, as you recommend a couple of pages back, I can only surmise that you are trolling for some strange reason
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »

Book 2 is out April 23 btw
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »

Book 2 is out April 23 btw

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
johnkeen

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2013, 05:01:40 PM »

John - Barry and Jared done a lot of advertising a promos before and when the book came out. A lot of reviews could simply be those first customers responding to a simple email/tweet/blog sent en-masse to all those who purchased asking to review. Something that is very standard in marketing.
Is your conclusion here consistent with the points I outlined? Do you dispute the points I outlined or the logic I used to draw a conclusion. You are a psychiatric nurse, no, trained in making conclustions all the time?

Lastly, in making my own conclusions, as you recommend a couple of pages back, I can only surmise that you are trolling for some strange reason
If your definition of 'troll' is someone that makes some points that not everyone agrees with, then troll I am. I was just using you as an example of tilt, if that's what's riled you this time. You exhibited your blog everywhere and linked there with half of the world, and every other post was about tilting, and getting angry at beats. I ended up thinking, my god, this guy must really hate vegas
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

stupid question time

you have the audio book which i presume is exactly the same as the paper version

i am really struggling why you would then spend which seems like at least a few hours asking/researching questioning the authors on here when you have the product already?

if it is not for you then dont buy it if it is then do
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »

I've tried to avoid going down the route of accusing John of being a troll. However someone has been trolling Jared for about three or four months on 2+2, questioning the legitimacy of his work while not having read the book, we have a suspicion that he is someone who is trying to establish himself as a mental game coach in poker by discrediting Jared. The last two of three posts from John are remarkably similar to the posts of the 2+2 guy, and I now believe they are one in the same person, and they have some sort of hidden agenda.

I didn't want to share private sales information, but I think this will potentially address any concerns raised by John (For other people). The book was released in April 2011 on our own websitel, and available on Amazon in May. By June 1st we had sold over 1,000 copies of the book via our own website, and given roughly a further 100 copies away either as prizes from marketing efforts or free review copies to bloggers. We had only sold about 200 copies via Amazon at this time.

I think two months where people have had time to read the book, over 1,000 copies in circulation, a big marketing effort on our parts and us actively asking readers to post reviews of the book is more than adequate explanation for the 12 reviews on Amazon in June.

The 100ish free copies for bloggers and prize winners you could of course argue might bias those that chose to review, but we also asked reviewers to be honest and not sugar coat it (I think Tighty can confirm I told him to say it sucked if he thought it did, as can pretty much anyone who received a review copy).

Times like this I wish I was Curtis Woodhouse.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »

Btw Jared is on holiday, he normally responds to criticism himself.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

I didn't think he was a troll myself, well not until his 2nd post Smiley

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »

I didn't think he was a troll myself, well not until his 2nd post Smiley

FWIW, he's gone to trollville in the forum sky now.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »

Tightynator

Ah! The element of surprise
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »

100% confirmed its the same guy from 2+2 btw, he just started posting again.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: