blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:11:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1135529 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »

Thought it'd be a good idea to have a thread for people to post any boxing news, rumours and info about up and coming fights. So here it is.

Obviously we can have dedicated threads for the bigger fights that garner more interest.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13625051.stm

Khan to fight Judah next month.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »

Interesting in there to read aboiut how Khan/Golden Boy have fallen out with Sky. They're not taking this fight either and now Golden Boy are threatening to stop having any of their fights on Sky.
Solaris

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »

Interesting in there to read aboiut how Khan/Golden Boy have fallen out with Sky. They're not taking this fight either and now Golden Boy are threatening to stop having any of their fights on Sky.

Can't blame Sky really. The undercard was awful and McCloskey just isn't a world class name. Your average punter won't fork out 15 quid for that.

Amir's had one big fight, Maidana and that's it. He's got a hugely over-inflated opinion of himself.

That said, how Sky managed to sell the Groves - DeGale fight as being PPV is beyond me. Once Braehmer pulled out they were having a laugh trying to charge people 15 quid to see a British title fight.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »

Can't blame Sky really. The undercard was awful and McCloskey just isn't a world class name. Your average punter won't fork out 15 quid for that.

Amir's had one big fight, Maidana and that's it. He's got a hugely over-inflated opinion of himself.

That said, how Sky managed to sell the Groves - DeGale fight as being PPV is beyond me. Once Braehmer pulled out they were having a laugh trying to charge people 15 quid to see a British title fight.

What can Sky do though when he pulled out late and some would've already paid ? Agree it was a shit card though.

Solaris

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »

Sky pulled the plug on Amir's deal the week of the fight so they're willing to do it.

I guess it was the case that by the time Braehmer had pulled out they felt they had sufficient box office sales to carry on with it in that particular PPV. If I was someone who'd paid the 15 quid I'd have felt like I'd have been robbed tbh.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »

Sky pulled the plug on Amir's deal the week of the fight so they're willing to do it.

I guess it was the case that by the time Braehmer had pulled out they felt they had sufficient box office sales to carry on with it in that particular PPV. If I was someone who'd paid the 15 quid I'd have felt like I'd have been robbed tbh.
Should surely be felt like a mug. Sky keep putting this crap on PPV because plenty of idiots are prepared to pay for it
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »

Pretty sure that Sky had Khan on ppv when he fought Breidis Prescott which really was taking the piss.  TBH I would rather pay for a fight like DeGale - Groves than I would for any fight where a world champ we have is fighting an effective no hoper but they do what they think commercially makes sense.

Solaris

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »

Sky were working off the hype being generated around Amir at the time tbf given that he'd won a silver medal at the Olympics and was seen as the next big thing in British boxing - until Prescott saw to the end of that, that is. I agree it did take the piss though.

I just can't see how any fight other than a world title fight can be sold as a PPV. It frustrates me that people are able to buy into the hype.

Then again I  guess it says a lot about how the boxers themselves sell the fights when we have Carl Froch having a world class fight vs Glenn Johnson show on a regular sky sports channel and DeGale - Groves is able to be sold as a PPV.

Then again Froch has consistently been looked over by the British press and public.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »

Anyone see David Price's fight the other night?  OK, it wasn't a top level opponent, but he did a number on him.  Looks to have the talent to be a very decent British and European fighter and then we'll see if he can mix it at World level.  Nice to see a heavyweight who can throw combinations and not just rely on slugging it out, even though he can obviously bang a bit.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »

Anyone see Chris Eubanks son (also called Chris Eubank) is turning pro? Trained by Flloyd Mayweather Senior, he has pretty fast hands.

I dont really see how the son of a millionaire could ever do that well at boxing, I think hunger is such an important component when you are getting punched in the face for a living, but I did get a bit excited when I saw it, and glad to see Eubank Senior was being quite strict with him.
Solaris

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »

Anyone see David Price's fight the other night?  OK, it wasn't a top level opponent, but he did a number on him.  Looks to have the talent to be a very decent British and European fighter and then we'll see if he can mix it at World level.  Nice to see a heavyweight who can throw combinations and not just rely on slugging it out, even though he can obviously bang a bit.

He looked good but you have to balance out what your say with the fact that Dallas took the fight on 4 days notice.

I'd expect a decent contest between him and McDermott.

Can't wait for the Fury and Chisora fight too, should be a cracker. They're both complete arseholes so I'd quite like a double knock-out.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »

Anyone see Chris Eubanks son (also called Chris Eubank) is turning pro? Trained by Flloyd Mayweather Senior, he has pretty fast hands.

I dont really see how the son of a millionaire could ever do that well at boxing, I think hunger is such an important component when you are getting punched in the face for a living, but I did get a bit excited when I saw it, and glad to see Eubank Senior was being quite strict with him.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is doing pretty well at boxing, and his old man was a legend of the sport and a cult-hero in Mexico.  Maybe they're the exceptions to what you're saying though, or maybe boxing is in their genes.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »

He looked good but you have to balance out what your say with the fact that Dallas took the fight on 4 days notice.

I'd expect a decent contest between him and McDermott.

Can't wait for the Fury and Chisora fight too, should be a cracker. They're both complete arseholes so I'd quite like a double knock-out.

Cheesy

When it's two fighters you like in the ring together it can be difficult to really enjoy it when one of them loses.  But when you dislike both, it's a win-win!

Solaris

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »

I dont really see how the son of a millionaire could ever do that well at boxing,

I do! He'll spend his entire life under scrutiny as to how he compares with his father etc. Let's not forget boxing's a one-on-one sport too, so if his hunger and desire isn't there he'll soon find himself flat on his back live on TV. Can't think of anything more embarrassing.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how he does.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: