blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272607 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1146419 times)
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: November 17, 2014, 09:07:43 AM »

If they had fought at the peak of their respective careers, who would have been favourite between Vitali and Wlad?

For me Vitali. Hes a warrior who apart from a serous shoulder injury and a cut stoppage to Lennox (when he was ahead on the cards) has always been ahead of the rest.

However it's not that simple. Wladamir has a much more classical style, reminds me of Lennox a lot. What Steward did with him after Corrie Sanders is impressive. Vitali is a much more unorthodox awkward fighter with less technique. In the last two years Wlad's has been far more impressive beating guys by miles. Talented boxers cannot get near him.

But I think Wlad's chin is more suspect (he's not been hit in a loooooong time) and I'm not sure he has the heart for a war. He beats everyone so comfortably we'll probably never know.

IMHO both underrated and able to compete in other eras.

Pretty much this. I think Vitali would be priced up as a marginal favourite but I'd be on the other side. If someone had told me the Wlad that got smashed to pieces by Sanders would go on to rule the division I'd have laughed at them. The improvement he has made since then though has been pretty remarkable.

I also agree that neither of them would have looked out of place in any era. Their legacy hasn't been helped by the lack of quality heavyweights in the last decade or so but both have been so utterly dominant that I think it's hard to argue that they wouldn't have had success in any era.  It's a pity we have never really got to find out how good they really are/were
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: November 17, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »

If they had fought at the peak of their respective careers, who would have been favourite between Vitali and Wlad?

For me Vitali. Hes a warrior who apart from a serous shoulder injury and a cut stoppage to Lennox (when he was ahead on the cards) has always been ahead of the rest.

However it's not that simple. Wladamir has a much more classical style, reminds me of Lennox a lot. What Steward did with him after Corrie Sanders is impressive. Vitali is a much more unorthodox awkward fighter with less technique. In the last two years Wlad's has been far more impressive beating guys by miles. Talented boxers cannot get near him.

But I think Wlad's chin is more suspect (he's not been hit in a loooooong time) and I'm not sure he has the heart for a war. He beats everyone so comfortably we'll probably never know.

Pretty much this. I think Vitali would be priced up as a marginal favourite but I'd be on the other side. If someone had told me the Wlad that got smashed to pieces by Sanders would go on to rule the division I'd have laughed at them. The improvement he has made since then though has been pretty remarkable.

I also agree that neither of them would have looked out of place in any era. Their legacy hasn't been helped by the lack of quality heavyweights in the last decade or so but both have been so utterly dominant that I think it's hard to argue that they wouldn't have had success in any era.  It's a pity we have never really got to find out how good they really are/were

Was it ever suggested they fight?

What is their relationship like?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: November 17, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »

Was it ever suggested they fight?

What is their relationship like?

They have always been pretty clear that they would never fight each other. They are pretty close and are in each other's corner when the other is boxing
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: November 17, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »

If you have an interest Keith id recommend the docufilm Klitschko. Pretty insightful.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »

Can someone try and explain to me why I can back cleverly at odds against in this fight at the weekend. Why isn't he a clear fav? What am I missing? Bellow is just a fat trash talking jobber who never backs up his talk in the ring. He has so much negative energy as well which must be really eating him up mentally in the build up.  he also lost the previous fight so why is he not a clear underdog in this match? Someone stop me from having a max bEt on a sport I don't know that much about.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: November 18, 2014, 03:25:13 AM »

Can someone try and explain to me why I can back cleverly at odds against in this fight at the weekend. Why isn't he a clear fav? What am I missing? Bellow is just a fat trash talking jobber who never backs up his talk in the ring. He has so much negative energy as well which must be really eating him up mentally in the build up.  he also lost the previous fight so why is he not a clear underdog in this match? Someone stop me from having a max bEt on a sport I don't know that much about.

I know less than you about boxing.

I idly watched the preview tonight, from what I heard and saw I assumed Cleverley must be a 1/6 shot or something similar.

He's underdog?!?!?!?

Life time I've had only one boxing bet. Michael Watson to beat Nigel Benn at 3/1.

I pretty much hate boxing, especially so since Watson v Eubank.

Looks like I'm going to have to strike bet number 2 though unless one of the boxing experts talk me out of it.

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: November 18, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »

I'm struggling to see how this is a PPV match up.  Eddie Hearn might not appear the sharpest tool in the box but he manages to con quite a few folk out of a coin.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:42 AM »

I'm struggling to see how this is a PPV match up.  Eddie Hearn might not appear the sharpest tool in the box but he manages to con quite a few folk out of a coin.

That was my other main takeaway from the preview.

It just looked like another fight, purely hyped up by Bellew because he's a plum.

No where near the status of a Froch v Groves fight.

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: November 18, 2014, 05:25:33 AM »

It shouldn't be PPV and everyone knows it's a farce.

Kell Brook was scheduled to be headline this date as a PPV show with Cleverley vs Bellew as support. After Kell was stabbed Sky asked Eddie Hearn what he could do to retain the gig as PPV.

Stacking it with mismatches was his answer. Eddie defends it by portraying James De Gale and Callum Smith as being in 50/50 bouts even though they're 1/10 shots.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »

Regular fight fans have sat through good and bad Sky Sports 1 cards. They've invested time watching Bellew and Cleverley in one sided comeback fights. To then turn around and charge us for this fight is taking the piss. As Camel pointed out the general public don't give a toss about these guys.

In place of proper broadcasting Sky have shamelessly promoted Matchroom fighters. Why was Nathan Cleverley in the studio for Smith vs Abraham, the man is so dour he can barely keep his own eyes open when he talks. Why is Luke Campbell constanly by the ringside on fight night, he has no presence, experience or anything insightful to say. I much prefer Box Nation and Channel 5's boxing coverage.

Here's wishing the PPV figures are so low that Sky review the way that they cover boxing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:38:03 AM by McGlashan » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2170 on: November 18, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »

Regular fight fans have sat through good and bad Sky Sports 1 cards. They've invested time watching Bellew and Cleverley in one sided comeback fights. To then turn around and charge us for this fight is taking the piss. As Camel pointed out the general public don't give a toss about these guys.

In place of proper broadcasting Sky have shamelessly promoted Matchroom fighters. Why was Nathan Cleverley in the studio for Smith vs Abraham, the man is so dour he can barely keep his own eyes open when he talks. Why is Luke Campbell constanly by the ringside on fight night, he has no presence, experience or anything insightful to say. I much prefer Box Nation and Channel 5's boxing coverage.

Here's wishing the PPV figures are so low that Sky review the way that they cover boxing.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: November 18, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »

Despite the PPV fiasco it was the Michael Sprott episode of Ringside that pissed me off the most.

Adam Smith: You're expected to give AJ some rounds, aren't you Michael? You've never been blown out early.

Sprott sheepishly: Erm no...

Sprott said that despite suffering a 60 second KO in his last bout, the final of a NZ prizefighter. Not to mention his last regular bout, a round 1 KO defeat to a German prospect. AJ's a beast, there's no need to coerce guests into lying to make him look good but they do it anyway.

All the time they tell white lies to enhance the reputation of Matchroom fighters. There's no other sport on Sky they could get away with re-writing the history books like they do in boxing.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: November 18, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »

Matchroom controlling Sky's output has had a detrimental effect. There used to be weekly cards with competitive main events, mainly small hall shows like the York Hall and at a relatively low level (British and Commonwealth). Accompanied by big events. Now we have Matchroom with a much reduced output putting up card after card of "names" in ridiculously one sided fights.

As for this weekend's card it is vile. Clev v Bellew are at best fringe world level and in fairness it's a competitive fight but never in a million years worthy of being on SBO. I could have accepted it though if the card was packed with competitive fights but it's not.  Apart from the main event Degale at 1/7 is the biggest price you can get on any Matchroom fighter on the card. The Boxnation  card on the 29th is far far better

The other thing that really gets my goat is not only do we have a reduced number of events but Matchroom and Warren go head to head on the same night more often than not.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: November 18, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »

Is it possible to be a British fighter now and become a world class fighter and make the money you deserve without being signed by Hearn at some point in your career to build your rep on sky sports with the UK public.  Froch was kinda forced to sign with Hearn to get the money/pr rep he deserved with the general UK public.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: November 18, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »

Is it possible to be a British fighter now and become a world class fighter and make the money you deserve without being signed by Hearn at some point in your career to build your rep on sky sports with the UK public.  Froch was kinda forced to sign with Hearn to get the money/pr rep he deserved with the general UK public.

I'd say no. Such a small percentage of the population have access to Boxnation and the number or cards Warren puts on reduces every year. With Matchroom fm having a stranglehold on Sky I don't see things changing.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: