blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1146930 times)
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »

Is it possible to be a British fighter now and become a world class fighter and make the money you deserve without being signed by Hearn at some point in your career to build your rep on sky sports with the UK public.  Froch was kinda forced to sign with Hearn to get the money/pr rep he deserved with the general UK public.

I'd say no. Such a small percentage of the population have access to Boxnation and the number or cards Warren puts on reduces every year. With Matchroom fm having a stranglehold on Sky I don't see things changing.

Yeah this.  I have finally cancelled my sub to box nation as there is rarely anyone I want to watch nowadays where as when I first subscribed there was at least a fight a week.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2176 on: November 18, 2014, 08:53:38 PM »

Such a shame though. Sky's coverage, and the ridiculous alphabet soup of organisations and belts has made a mockery of a great sport.

I'm trying to think of the last truly massive fight that attracted the interest of the British public and transcended the sport, and didn't involve two British fighters. Lewis v Holyfield?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »

Such a shame though. Sky's coverage, and the ridiculous alphabet soup of organisations and belts has made a mockery of a great sport.

I'm trying to think of the last truly massive fight that attracted the interest of the British public and transcended the sport, and didn't involve two British fighters. Lewis v Holyfield?

Hatton v Mayweather?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: November 18, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather?

Beat me to it Smiley

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: November 18, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather?

Hatton mayweather was massive imo.  20,000 brits in vegas for the fight.  More than watch most fights in the uk.  Possibly the biggest hype fight involving a uk fighter in my lifetime.  So much money for Hatton that money went off 8/11 on bf to win!!  Comical looking back. 50% of the roll bet!  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:00:55 PM by arbboy » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: November 18, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather?

Hatton mayweather was massive imo.  20,000 brits in vegas for the fight.  More than watch most fights in the uk.  Possibly the biggest hype fight involving a uk fighter in my lifetime.  So much money for Hatton that money went off 8/11 on bf to win!!  Comical looking back. 50% of the roll bet!  

Few of my mates went, and they said it was amazing that so many brits were bowling around out there.

Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: November 18, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather?

The 8/11 was insane. He kept drifting in the days and hours leading up to the fight. I kept filling up then he would drift a bit more and I couldn't help myself going in again
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2182 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather possibly. But it was still largely boxing fans and Hatton fans. But yeah, it did excite a few people who generally aren't interested in boxing.

Not quite to the levels of interest when boxing was on terrestrial TV though back in the 80s and early 90s though (those days are obviously long gone).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather?

The 8/11 was insane. He kept drifting in the days and hours leading up to the fight. I kept filling up then he would drift a bit more and I couldn't help myself going in again

I was at dtd that night and cutefish (matt lewis - marky knows him) asked me to put a grand on hatton for him on my bf account.  I would be lying if i didn't admit i laid it myself!!!!!!  ty cute!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 18, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather possibly. But it was still largely boxing fans and Hatton fans. But yeah, it did excite a few people who generally aren't interested in boxing.

Not quite to the levels of interest when boxing was on terrestrial TV though back in the 80s and early 90s though (those days are obviously long gone).

Early/mid 90s at uni for the benn/Eubank era on itv 15 rounds was awesome as well.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »

Haha, Cute makes me look like Bloom Cheesy

Eddie talking about the PPV a few weeks back (from 4m10s)

If I wasn't plotted up in my office on a Saturday night, I would happily flick in the £15 to watch it on Sky...

After all, it's not even a round of drinks, is it?

Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: November 18, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »

Hatton v Mayweather?

I was at dtd that night and cutefish (matt lewis - marky knows him) asked me to put a grand on hatton for him on my bf account.  I would be lying if i didn't admit i laid it myself!!!!!!  ty cute!

People got so carried away it was unreal. as the fight approached people who were in the Mayweather camp at first were backing Hatton to do it.  I remember a thread on here being similar.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2187 on: November 18, 2014, 10:07:12 PM »

Early/mid 90s at uni for the benn/Eubank era on itv 15 rounds was awesome as well.

Everyone at school was talking about Benn v Eubank. Amazing times.

McGuigan winning his world title In the 80s  was simply incredible though.

My favourite fights (think we've done this before on here), was the Ward v Gatti trilogy, Barrera v Morales,  and the fights between Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard. Not sure we'll ever see rivalries like that again.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: November 18, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »

Wonder how childishly Bellew is going to behave here...

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: November 18, 2014, 11:27:10 PM »

What do Ward-Gatti 1, Eubank-Watson 1 and Tyson-Spinks have in common?
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: