blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1138475 times)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »

Why on earth would Manny take $40m for the fight and let Pbf have the rest

- Because $40m is a helluva lot of money

- Because, hard to believe, Pacquiao's finances are a mess and he badly needs the money. Mayweather doesn't need the money, making his bargaining position stronger.

- Because it is a lot more than he has ever earned for any fight

- Because Mayweather is the bigger draw

- Because, since Pacquiao-Marquez III, Mayweather is the clear favourite to win

- Because, as the promoter (albeit in conjunction with Golden Boy), Mayweather receives all the revenue, which is then allocated between the various interests, including the two boxers. Is Mayweather supposed to split the promotional income?

- Because he has never been paid as much as Mayweather. Since 2006, he has earned an average of $5m a fight, with a max of $7.4m, whereas Mayweather has received an average of $12.5m, only once receiving less than $8m. These are Nevada State Athletic Commission's (unbelievably scruffy) lists of both fighters' earnings. They don't include fights outside the NSAC's jurisdiction. Pacquiao is known to have received $6m for fighting Marquez in Nov 2011, and is assumed to have received somewhere between $6m - $7.4m each for his 2010 fights against Clottey and Margarito, making a total of $60m in 12 fights since 2006, during which period Mayweather received $91.5m for 7 fights:

Click to see full-size image.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: March 22, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »

Genuinely think Brook will completely outclass Hatton and can't see it being too much of a test tbh. Brook is a very good technical fighter imo and can see him being up there in the near future.

Matthew Hatton is a good European standard fighter, but not in Brook's class.  Looking forward to seeing him fight at world class and seeing how effective he is there.  His defence is very sound, and he looks like an all-round fighter.  Thought he would have been able to stop Hatton, but didn't seem to go in for the kill with heavy combinations that might have closed it out earlier.  Took a good smack from Hatton late on as well, and hardly blinked - so that's a good sign too.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

- Because $40m is a helluva lot of money

- Because, hard to believe, Pacquiao's finances are a mess and he badly needs the money. Mayweather doesn't need the money, making his bargaining position stronger.

- Because it is a lot more than he has ever earned for any fight

- Because Mayweather is the bigger draw

- Because, since Pacquiao-Marquez III, Mayweather is the clear favourite to win

- Because, as the promoter (albeit in conjunction with Golden Boy), Mayweather receives all the revenue, which is then allocated between the various interests, including the two boxers. Is Mayweather supposed to split the promotional income?

- Because he has never been paid as much as Mayweather. Since 2006, he has earned an average of $5m a fight, with a max of $7.4m, whereas Mayweather has received an average of $12.5m, only once receiving less than $8m. These are Nevada State Athletic Commission's (unbelievably scruffy) lists of both fighters' earnings. They don't include fights outside the NSAC's jurisdiction. Pacquiao is known to have received $6m for fighting Marquez in Nov 2011, and is assumed to have received somewhere between $6m - $7.4m each for his 2010 fights against Clottey and Margarito, making a total of $60m in 12 fights since 2006, during which period Mayweather received $91.5m for 7 fights:

Imo

Points 1-3 are completely irrelevant. Point 3 is also true of Mayweather.

4 - I disagree, not really sure how he is apart from the fact he has an 0 to lose. Pretty sure most people have thought Manny was the better boxer to watch over the last couple of years.

5 - I agree Pacquiou wasn't great in his last fight but eveyone can have an off day, no way is Mayweather a clear fav for me.

6 - Not really sure how this works but why would Top Rank/Goldenboy not jointly promote the fight since they have the top two boxers ?

7 - I'd guess this is more down to the fact that Mayweather takes more of his opponents % than Manny, over the fact his fights make more money.

You obviously know a lot more about boxing then I do but I just think Mayweather's doing everything to dodge this fight with his constant changing of demands. Absolutely no way would it be even close to a fair deal if Manny got 40m for this fight and Pbf got 100m+.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 22, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »

5 - I agree Pacquiou wasn't great in his last fight but eveyone can have an off day, no way is Mayweather a clear fav for me.

Current odds:
                                  Mayweather                      Pacquaio
Boylesports                         1/2                                6/4
PaddyPower                        4/7                                5/4
Ladbrokes                          8/15                               6/4
Bodog                                8/13                               5/4
Coral                                 4/9                               13/8
WilliamHill                          8/15                              6/4

http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing-mma/boxing/floyd-mayweather-jr-v-manny-pacquiao/winner
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 22, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »

I think Manny was favourite before his last fight, if not it was pretty much 11/10 and 10/11, this is obv due to his performance vs Marquez which as I say I think was just a poor night. Sad fact is we are very unlikely to see this fight and Mayweather is too blame for that due to his greed, his unfair offer and also his desperation to keep his 0. Pacquaio isn't being greedy by not wanting to be conned, he isn't a huge underdog desperate for a payday like most of the fighters Floyd has fought.
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 22, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »

Mayweather is technically the better fighter I don't think many people dispute that, sometimes he can be overly cautious and a bit negative though imo.

Pacman has tonnes of heart and tonnes of speed. Think they both have roughly the same K0 % and are probs not too far away from each other in their KO power.

Mayweather's technical ability and Pacman's last performance will obv give Floyd the edge with the bookies. But i think Pacman will want it more and hopfully he will go at him like a spider monkey.

MajorMajor

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

Pacman has stopped taking his drugs, that's why his last performance wasn't great. Pretty boy would bash him up!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: March 22, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »

Pacman has stopped taking his drugs, that's why his last performance wasn't great. Pretty boy would bash him up!

LOL

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »

LOL - Mayweather needs the money as much if not more than Pacquaio from what I understand.

Presumably he also stopped taking his drugs in his previous two fights against Marquez also because the performance was pretty much identical. 

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 22, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »

There could be endless debates about the money and which party deserve the most millions, but at the end of the day the main reason both boxers should get the fight on is because they fcking should. I mean is there another fight anybody wants to see? It transcends the money. Amazing that footballers always pout about doing stuff for football reasons not money so what about dem boxing reasons? Forget the money man, they should do it in Russia for no money like Rocky IV. C'mon already ffs.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: March 22, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »

It would be the biggest non-heavyweight fight of all time, and for boxing fans a dream match-up. If they keep fannying around and delaying the fight though they'll be on the wrong side of their peak and the fight will lose some of its gloss.

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »

It would be the biggest non-heavyweight fight of all time, and for boxing fans a dream match-up. If they keep fannying around and delaying the fight though they'll be on the wrong side of their peak and the fight will lose some of its gloss.

It would have been, they are both way past their best and it will be nothing but a disappointment IMO. Mayweather will just lean on Manny - 12 rounds of boredom

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »

It would have been, they are both way past their best and it will be nothing but a disappointment IMO. Mayweather will just lean on Manny - 12 rounds of boredom

I just don't get this view at all.  Manny's last six wins are against Marquez, Mosley, Margarito, Clottey, Cotto and Hatton whilst PBF has beat Ortiz, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton, De la Hoya and Baldomir.  In their next fights they fight Bradley and Cotto respectively.  They are fighting and beating the very best except each other i don't see any evidence that either is fighting worse than usual.  That is just an argument put by casual, uneducated boxing fans based on Pacquaios last fight v Marquez which, if anything, proved he is at the same level as he was 3 years ago and 8 years ago respectively.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »

I just don't get this view at all.  Manny's last six wins are against Marquez, Mosley, Margarito, Clottey, Cotto and Hatton whilst PBF has beat Ortiz, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton, De la Hoya and Baldomir.  In their next fights they fight Bradley and Cotto respectively.  They are fighting and beating the very best except each other i don't see any evidence that either is fighting worse than usual.  That is just an argument put by casual, uneducated boxing fans based on Pacquaios last fight v Marquez which, if anything, proved he is at the same level as he was 3 years ago and 8 years ago respectively.

I think if the fight happens in the next 12 months or so it will see them at or near their peak.  But much longer than that and they'll both be past their peak, and also the gaps between fights will mean they're not as sharp as they would be if they get it on ASAP.

Morales is fighting this weekend.  Still a great fighter, but also on the down-slope after his peak.

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 22, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »

So may weather retired before he peaked?

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: