blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1138760 times)
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: October 23, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

Yeah, Barrera was robbed in the first fight.

If you want to watch some wars - make sure you watch Ward v Gatti.  All three are excellent fights.

I'd also recommend watching as many fights involving Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran - especially when they fought each other.

Honeyghan v Curry was a cracker too.

Watched the Trilogy last night, thought the 1st and 3rd fights were both amazing fights, 2nd was decent but wasn't really competitive to see it as a classic.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1471 on: October 23, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »

Yeah, Barrera was robbed in the first fight.

If you want to watch some wars - make sure you watch Ward v Gatti.  All three are excellent fights.

I'd also recommend watching as many fights involving Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran - especially when they fought each other.

Honeyghan v Curry was a cracker too.

Watched the Trilogy last night, thought the 1st and 3rd fights were both amazing fights, 2nd was decent but wasn't really competitive to see it as a classic.

Didn't want to include any spoilers Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1472 on: October 23, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »

For the sheer spectacle and the occasion, the Hamed v Kelley fight is always worth a watch Smiley

Remember watching it when it happened, I was living in Japan at the time, and it defined 'edge of the seat' viewing.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1473 on: October 23, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »

For the sheer spectacle and the occasion, the Hamed v Kelley fight is always worth a watch Smiley

Yes this.

To give Monda some context, Hamed was blowing everyone away at the time and never been in a war before.

Hamed's dismantling of Steve Robinson was about as thorough as it gets in a world title fight from a challenger.

Calzaghe vs Eubanks was quite an entertaining fight too

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »

Yes this.

To give Monda some context, Hamed was blowing everyone away at the time and never been in a war before.

Hamed's dismantling of Steve Robinson was about as thorough as it gets in a world title fight from a challenger.

Despite not having much interest in boxing he was that popular at the time I was aware of Prince Naz demolishing everyone in his sights.

I'm like them twats fortunate few that come into the TV thread and ask something along the long the lines of "Never seen Breaking Bad, should I watch it, is it any good ?" 
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1475 on: October 23, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »

Mickey Ward vs Shea Neary was also good

There was one really good Amir Khan fight, about 3 years ago, was it Madaina?

Lennox Lewis vs Klitschko was deec
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »

Yes this.

Despite not having much interest in boxing he was that popular at the time I was aware of Prince Naz demolishing everyone in his sights.

I'm like them twats fortunate few that come into the TV thread and ask something along the long the lines of "Never seen Breaking Bad, should I watch it, is it any good ?" 

Naz was all well and good, but he fought a proper boxer and got his comeuppance (Barrera)

Hatton was fun to watch, just because of his sheer determination.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1477 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »

Danny Williams vs Mark Potter - but you kinda have to avoid spoilers to really appreciate it
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1478 on: October 23, 2013, 08:39:47 PM »

I think Naz was the most gifted boxer in terms of punch and reflexes, his attitude is what stopped him being a legend

IMO the hardest pound for pound punch of all time
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 23, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »

I think Naz was the most gifted boxer in terms of punch and reflexes, his attitude is what stopped him being a legend

It's a fair shout, although tough to compare from such a light weight. Ron Lyle could throw a punch, but never won a world title because there were two or three other fellas around in the 1970s. He almost beat Ali, but this is one of the greatest fights I've ever seen, despite being only four rounds long. Absolutely brutal.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1480 on: October 23, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

I was at uni in Sheffield as Naz went through his journey to beat Robinson and become World Champion.  I followed his progress avidly, and he was an amazing talent and an excellent boxer.  Obviously a cocky little shit, but actually seemed like a decent lad as well.  I met him in the VIP bar after the Benn v Malinga fight in Newcastle (friend of mine worked for Golden Wonder at the time who where the fight sponsors that night).  Anyway, had a chat with him and he was happy to talk for a while.  A friend of mine randomly ended up playing pool with Naz, and he said he was nothing like he expected and was a actually a good lad. There was also all the stuff he did for charity in and around Sheffield, usually on the quiet.

But I think he was affected by his fame and his entourage, and the accident he had when he nearly killed a bloke was a culmination of him getting too big for his boots imo.  Such a shame, as I also think he could have done much better against Barrera if he'd continued to train and focus on his boxing as much as he had earlier in his career.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1481 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »

Funny you mention that, my dad knew the guy who owned the snooker club where Naz played pool and everyone who went there said he was a really down to earth chappy.

Did you see the documentary about the build up to Naz vs Barrera? Pretty much summed up why he lost, Naz was fretting about his hotel room and flying in his hairdresser from sheffield, Barrera was training in a public spit and sawdust gym. With a proper work ethic, Naz would have been the greatest.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1482 on: October 23, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »

5:20 is the start of the fight.  Don't blink Cheesy

7:30 to watch it in slo-mo Wink
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:07:22 PM by kinboshi » Logged

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1483 on: October 23, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »

Remember that one, as soon as I saw the green gloves I knew which one it was.

Monda, dont watch this vid below until you have seen the Kelly fight:

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1484 on: October 23, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »

Funny you mention that, my dad knew the guy who owned the snooker club where Naz played pool and everyone who went there said he was a really down to earth chappy.

Was it in the Eccleshall Road/London Road area?

My mate didn't watch boxing, but had heard me going on about Naz a fair bit so couldn't wait to tell me all about it when he saw me in lectures.

Did you see the documentary about the build up to Naz vs Barrera? Pretty much summed up why he lost, Naz was fretting about his hotel room and flying in his hairdresser from sheffield, Barrera was training in a public spit and sawdust gym. With a proper work ethic, Naz would have been the greatest.

Didn't see that, but definitely sums up why he ultimately failed in terms of being a great fighter.  Such a waste of a brilliant talent.

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: