blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  UK live players : A spotters guide
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK live players : A spotters guide  (Read 4344 times)
giveyourcash

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »

I've done some tongue in cheek write ups. I've got more but wanted to see how these came across before I spent any real time on them. What do you think?

The low limit tourney rounder

Where you'll see him : Any £15+£1 55 runner tournament usually with his buddies at the final table

How to spot : Spend any time in a poker room and you'll get to know these guys.

Description : These guys are from the old school, it's tough to see how they could possibly make a living doing what they do but they're always there day in and day out. Thick as thieves many low limit final tables become a regs club to an extent that almost seems shady to the outsider especially in self dealt tourneys. Their strategies are carved into their brains and they seem unable to adapt. Luckily they don't have to as the competition is merely local tourists. If you see them in a cash game sit down, they've played 20BB poker so much that they are physically be unable to fold TPNK.

Strength : Persistence

Weakness : Unadaptable

The recreational mega nit (or old man nitter)

Where you'll see him : Any 0.50/1 game he'll be the guy without cards in front of him

How to spot : Is someone turning over aces after checking turn and river? That's him

Description : For these guys poker is just about the good cards, that and complaining when those good cards get cracked. They have a playing range of JJ+ and AK (though only to call cos it's a drawing hand preflop) and it seems nonsensical to them that such powerhouses would ever lose. Amazingly they probably make money over time as the fish are so bad that they somehow manage to get paid off. If one of these guys min 3 bets you, they have aces maybe maaaaybe kings, so call with any 2 and try to flop 2 pair on them you'll win some nit money and they'll get another bad beat story to tell. Everyone wins. Be sure to note after after one or two such “beats” old man nitter may become shove blind maniac.

Strength : Zen like patience

Weakness : May as well play face up

The Young Guns

Where you'll see him : Grinding £1/£2 and up

How to spot  : Hoodie? Check. Slouched over? Check. Talking loudly about triple range merging and the art of the 5 bet bluff? That's your guy.

Description : Online ain't for everyone. Even the young guns like to mix it up with some live play from time to time. For these guy often poker is just a computer game and money is just a high score that ticks over. Unfortunately they are also probably better than you. It is however important to separate the young guy who talks a good game with all the newfangled terms and then makes huuuge elementary mistakes from the guys who actually know what they're doing and have studied the game for themselves. This should become apparent before too long.

Strength : An adaptable range based game rather than rote strategies

Weakness : Too willing to share secrets, tap the glass and improve the games of their opponents in an attempt to look smart

The Big Shot!

Where you'll see him : The highest buyin game going

How to spot : Rolex, sharp suit, slick hair, other rolex

Description : So you've made a bunch of money in business, your property portfolio is booming or your strip club empire is going from strength to strength. Maybe drug sales are up and you need a place to take your wad of fifties, impress some attractive cocktail waitresses and 8 sallow jealous degenerates who are, to a man, thinking how much better they could spend your money than you. This guy has no real strategy, he's going to be pretty loose preflop (what's another £50 I'll call) and will usually want to see his draws through for any amount that is if you can get his attention away from the female dealers and wait-staff. Will often take losing personally and have vendettas against those who beat him. Hit the board hard and take this guy to valuetown. This usually isn't the guy to bluff but if you can get him when he's distracted take him off a pot and show him you bluffed him it could be profitable in the long run. Watch out though. To get rich you generally have to be sharp, you want to keep this guy having fun and rebuying not focused on winning.

Strength : Doesn't care about money

Weakness : Doesn't care about money
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:12:50 PM by giveyourcash » Logged
giveyourcash

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »

Still to come (maybe)

The tourist
The old school grinder (Joey Knish)
The maniac (smart version)
The maniac (dumb version)
The young Asian
The mix game/dealers choice player
PizzicatoXev

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »

Looking forward to the next installment Smiley
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »

Excellent.

The last time I saw anything as well written and original as that on here it was plagiarism.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »

Excellent.

The last time I saw anything as well written and original as that on here it was plagiarism.

Wink

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »

moarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
toddswain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »

Great write up. I'm presuming your giveyourcash that used to crush pkr ?
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:29:13 PM »

Great read. Looking forward to the young asian. Never folding 88 has to be in there.

ryecarr01

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »

very good post.looking forward to more
Spraggs

Don't hate, appreciate!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »

i picture these on playing cards, like top trumps, with cartoon pics of each type.

anyone wna swap a mega nit for a young gun?

keep it coming!

AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »

Which category would you put yourself in OP?
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »

I am punting for a semi young gun

giveyourcash

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »

Great write up. I'm presuming your giveyourcash that used to crush pkr ?

I don't know about crush but sure.

I haven't gotten to the uber fish yet. Smiley
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »

Very nice. The young gun weaknesses, clearly aimed at us "dtd regs"!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »

What about quincy......the type of player who does an autopsy on every hand...disecting it and educating all and sundry where you went wrong and the correct manner to play...seen on most tables....

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: