blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:09:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272605 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things that piss you off!
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 ... 206 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things that piss you off!  (Read 415249 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: July 02, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »

People that describe something as 'it's like marmite' then go on to say, you either love it or hate it. Gets on my tits.

Very substantial tits they are too, one can but imagine.

PS - There is now a Nandos @ Gatwick Airport.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 02, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »

When people say, "In actual fact".

What other kind of facts are there?

When people refer to me as "Yourself".

"One moment,  I'll just get a quote for yourself".

absolutely

The Radio 5 Presenters love that one.

absolutely

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 02, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »

absolutely

absolutely

Yourself is a bugbear of mine, too. It's referred to as misuse of the reflexive pronoun, as the verb reflects back on you:

- I wake myself up
- I dress myself
- she carries herself well
- and it even appears in things other drivers suggest you go and do in your spare time.

It's a common, annoying feature of customer service now. I think it stems from people being fearful of ending a sentence with such a sharp ending as "you", whereas "yourself" is softer and they can tail off the inflexion without risking offence. That's my theory anyway.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not a fan

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 02, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »

absolutely

absolutely

Yourself is a bugbear of mine, too. It's referred to as misuse of the reflexive pronoun, as the verb reflects back on you:

- I wake myself up
- I dress myself
- she carries herself well
- and it even appears in things other drivers suggest you go and do in your spare time.

It's a common, annoying feature of customer service now. I think it stems from people being fearful of ending a sentence with such a sharp ending as "you", whereas "yourself" is softer and they can tail off the inflexion without risking offence. That's my theory anyway.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not a fan

absolutely

When of course they really mean "yes".

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 02, 2014, 08:30:42 AM »

Whats wrong with yourself ?

Take that in the 2 ways it's intended

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2030 on: July 02, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »

I can't stand he thought of Vinny putting Marmite on his tits.

The older I get, the better I was.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 02, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »

I can't stand he thought of Vinny putting Marmite on his tits.
but does it piss you off?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 02, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »

Tailing off the inflection in 'yourself' is exactly the reason it happened originally I think.

Now it's because people think they sound smarter/more professional.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2033 on: July 02, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »

Suit yourself.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 23, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »

When the wife tries to get the arse with you for giving your opinion...I'm not talking 'how do I look in this'.

Phones me up the other day

Wife - got some gossip do you want to hear it
Me - (now I normally don't care too much at this point but experience has told me I am going to hear it anyway) go on then
Wife - the man over the road has left his wife and kids
Me - really, boring Paul
Wife - yeah the bastards ran off with a 20 year old

Now this is where you have to be careful in your reply - Paul is about 40 the same age as me...it's now quite apparent the reply of "fair play" is not what is regarded as sympathetic

So then for five minutes she tried to instigate an argument by throwing words like pervert, paedo, wanker etc in to the mix about boring Paul

After she'd hung up I thought "why do they do that, why do they ask and then try to argue with your reply - it really pisses me off

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2035 on: July 23, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »

When the wife tries to get the arse with you for giving your opinion...I'm not talking 'how do I look in this'.

Me - (now I normally don't care too much at this point but experience has told me I am going to hear it anyway) go on then
Me - really, boring Paul

Now this is where you have to be careful in your reply - Paul is about 40 the same age as me...it's now quite apparent the reply of "fair play" is not what is regarded as sympathetic

So then for five minutes she tried to instigate an argument by throwing words like pervert, paedo, wanker etc in to the mix about boring Paul

After she'd hung up I thought "why do they do that, why do they ask and then try to argue with your reply - it really pisses me off

Basically, she wants reassurance that you're not going to run off with a 20 year old.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 23, 2014, 08:46:16 PM »

Me - really, boring Paul

What worries me is that at 40 years old you haven't learnt to keep your honest opinion to yourself when answering the wife. I have many a moment in similar positions where I answer what she wants to hear and a wry smile crosses my face knowing I've just simultaneously duped the wife and thought about banging the fit bird across the road.

Ah! The element of surprise
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 23, 2014, 09:07:35 PM »

I feel extremely naive and stupid but it's taken me 26 years to realise what nonsense any form of media is when it comes to foreign politics. It's why I try to not get involved.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:24 PM »

I'm back with another moan...it feels like I'm morphing in to my dad already

Cinemas...I'm a bargain searching sort so I tend to only go on orange Wednesdays (for which I specifically bought a pay as you go orange phone I only use for this purpose)

I like the trailers...but adverts...bloody adverts about cars, drinks in the foyer, red bull and all the other crap

18 minutes of adverts yesterday 10 mins of trailers 2 mins of turn off your mobile before I even got to the film

Adverts at the cinema...grrrrrr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2039 on: July 31, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »

I'm back with another moan...it feels like I'm morphing in to my dad already

Cinemas...I'm a bargain searching sort so I tend to only go on orange Wednesdays (for which I specifically bought a pay as you go orange phone I only use for this purpose)

I like the trailers...but adverts...bloody adverts about cars, drinks in the foyer, red bull and all the other crap

18 minutes of adverts yesterday 10 mins of trailers 2 mins of turn off your mobile before I even got to the film

Adverts at the cinema...grrrrrr

I don't like to see the trailers because they give too much away, so I just ask what time the film actually starts and then go in with about a minute or so to spare.

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 ... 206 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: