blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:37:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things that piss you off!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 206 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things that piss you off!  (Read 411649 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »

People that call other players 'sir'. 'Nice hand sir', 'its on you sir'. Especially when from younger players. I kinda find it patronising and fake.

But what if you are playing against the likes of Cliff Richard, Alan Sugar or Chris Hoy?

if you call alan sugar sir then you're in a whole world of trouble. you're gonna get fired for sure

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »

People that call other players 'sir'. 'Nice hand sir', 'its on you sir'. Especially when from younger players. I kinda find it patronising and fake.

+1 on this, but I'd add in anyone who calls you 'sir' - waiters, shop assistants, police, etc, etc. Patronising and fake is exactly how I would describe it.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: May 02, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

+1 on this, but I'd add in anyone who calls you 'sir' - waiters, shop assistants, police, etc, etc. Patronising and fake is exactly how I would describe it.

Do you ever call anyone sir?

Is there ever a time when it's OK for someone to call you sir, or do you think the word should be abolished?

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 02, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »

I'm in the 'yes sir'' camp. It's polite when used genuinely.
For the 'no sir' camp, what would you want people to call you if they don't know your name or what do you call people you don't know?

Ah! The element of surprise
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »

I used to have to call some complete mugs 'Sir' when i was in the RAF. Haven't said it since the day i left i don't think. Don't mind people saying it at all at the tables and don't mind being called Sir either tbh.

I used to work with a guy who made a formal complaint when the guy in Mcdonalds called him 'mate' as opposed to the professional greeting he was expecting.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »

I used to have to call some complete mugs 'Sir' when i was in the RAF. Haven't said it since the day i left i don't think. Don't mind people saying it at all at the tables and don't mind being called Sir either tbh.

I used to work with a guy who made a formal complaint when the guy in Mcdonalds called him 'mate' as opposed to the professional greeting he was expecting.

That reminds me when I did some work for the prison service and one of our engineers got in hot water for calling the governors secretary 'love'. Effing marvellous.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: May 02, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »

For the 'no sir' camp, what would you want people to call you if they don't know your name or what do you call people you don't know?

I'd much rather someone introduce themselves by name and ask mine.

Hello there, my name is Tom McCready. What's yours?

Joe Bloggs.

Hello Mr Bloggs. May I call you Joe?

Yes Tom, you may.

Joe...

Yes?

You're standing on my foot.

leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 02, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »

i always tell dtd dealers my names Lee i work for a living ...when they call me sir! (politely)

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »

Wasn't there a bit of an outcry recently when one of the coffee shop chains gave instruction to their staff to ask customers names?

That would piss me off more than if they called me sir.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 02, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »

Hello there, my name is Tom McCready. What's yours?

Joe Bloggs.

Hello Mr Bloggs. May I call you Joe?

Yes Tom, you may.

Joe...

Yes?

You're standing on my foot.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »

Is there ever a time when it's OK for someone to call you sir, or do you think the word should be abolished?

Well, it's difficult to abolish a word that people are still using, but I can't think of a non-military/quasi-military context in which it is appropriate.

I don't think that people working in customer-facing roles are subordinate to their customers - they are doing their job, just as the customer does theirs when they are at work, so why should they have to adopt a subordinate position and call them sir? [Though I'm not I keen on the current fashion of waiters addressing customers, even a couple, as 'guys' either].

The other context in which it often seems to be used is when there is a difference of opinion between an organisation and a customer. The employee/manager often adopts an officious tone and starts addressing the customer as 'sir' in an officious semi-aggressive manner.

The few people who do use it in a genuine polite manner tend to come across as pretty archaic imo (or American).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »

Well, it's difficult to abolish a word that people are still using, but I can't think of a non-military/quasi-military context in which it is appropriate.

I don't think that people working in customer-facing roles are subordinate to their customers - they are doing their job, just as the customer does theirs when they are at work, so why should they have to adopt a subordinate position and call them sir? [Though I'm not I keen on the current fashion of waiters addressing customers, even a couple, as 'guys' either].

The other context in which it often seems to be used is when there is a difference of opinion between an organisation and a customer. The employee/manager often adopts an officious tone and starts addressing the customer as 'sir' in an officious semi-aggressive manner.

The few people who do use it in a genuine polite manner tend to come across as pretty archaic imo (or American).

How should people working in customer-facing roles address their customers then?

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 02, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »

It's all about personal standards and respect for others afaic.

I use the term "sir" or "Ma'am" on a daily basis, you'll see me address others on the forum as such as to me it's merely showing initial respect. I've mentioned before, I will buy a burger from a young spotty 16 year old at Maccy D's and will acknowledge him/her with sir/ma'am, it's not just to my elders.

It's obviously a generation thing looking at the replies.

As for not saluting the American officer, my unit would consider you a bit of a dousche tbh. Whilst it may not be totally obligatory, why antagonise?

I can assure you that Her Majesty, when in uniform, would salute another nations flag/anthem and return an officers salute (junior always salutes first.)

If it's good enough for Her Majesty it's certainly good enough for me.

Saluting has been a form of acknowledgement for centuries in all walks of life, possibly replacing the doffing of the hat or as a show of non-threat.

Either way, it's nice to be nice.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #973 on: May 02, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »

I use the term "sir" or "Ma'am" on a daily basis, you'll see me address others on the forum as such as to me it's merely showing initial respect. I've mentioned before, I will buy a burger from a young spotty 16 year old at Maccy D's and will acknowledge him/her with sir/ma'am, it's not just to my elders.

As for not saluting the American officer, my unit would consider you a bit of a dousche tbh. Whilst it may not be totally obligatory, why antagonise?

I can assure you that Her Majesty, when in uniform, would salute another nations flag/anthem and return an officers salute (junior always salutes first.)

Saluting has been a form of acknowledgement for centuries in all walks of life, possibly replacing the doffing of the hat or as a show of non-threat.

Geo

Well said sir.

I wish I had your eloquence.

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »

Geo

Not being a dousche or antagonising, just don't do it. Have spoken alot of others about this and general consensus is 'no way on gods earth saluting a foreigner'

Like u say, let the Queen, PM et al do that stuff

I think the difference is that whilst on duty, I understood that I was representing HM and my country  Wink

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 206 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: