blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Laxie Goes Primetime
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie Goes Primetime  (Read 143247 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:52 AM »

secondly you should cook eggs from room temp so if you want to get the best from them you need to leave them to sit while you wait for them to warm up

Actually, for consistent results it's easier to cook refrigerated eggs. Cooking from room temperature means different cooking times.

This is good, I get to disagree with everyone.

You should cook eggs from room temperature, and you should refrigerate them and take them out hours before you need them so they warm up.

I don't bother with this because I like a house with a cooler ambient temperature and the eggs don't stay around long before they get eaten anyway, but the warmer the house and the longer it takes to get through a carton of eggs - the more imperative there is to store them in the fridge.

Why should they be cooked from room temperature?  You put them in the pan, and they soon warm up to well above room temperature - from the fridge or from room temperature!

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »

You can't argue with what I said, I put FACT on the end.

that's the only thing stopping me from pointing out what bollocks you're spouting

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »

that's the only thing stopping me from pointing out what bollocks you're spouting

That and it's true.  FACT.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »

That and it's true.  FACT.

Nah - it's rubbish and shite. 

But everyone gets a nervous twitch when a claim ends with FACT. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »

One week down and still ciggy free.  No patches, inhalers, tablets or any of that rubbish to get the job done.  Being a determined bitch can be a major advantage at times.  Just lots of celery and one stubborn Chicka.     Wink

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »

secondly you should cook eggs from room temp so if you want to get the best from them you need to leave them to sit while you wait for them to warm up

Actually, for consistent results it's easier to cook refrigerated eggs. Cooking from room temperature means different cooking times.

You should cook eggs from room temperature, and you should refrigerate them and take them out hours before you need them so they warm up.

I don't bother with this because I like a house with a cooler ambient temperature and the eggs don't stay around long before they get eaten anyway, but the warmer the house and the longer it takes to get through a carton of eggs - the more imperative there is to store them in the fridge.

Why should they be cooked from room temperature?  You put them in the pan, and they soon warm up to well above room temperature - from the fridge or from room temperature!

The heat shock can have undesirable effects - the shell for hard boiled, the yolk for fried - for example

Also for fried eggs - you can perfectly safely fry an egg with a soft yolk if it's from room temperature; but if it comes straight from the fridge then there's a danger of it being undercooked.

You get consistency when cooking from room temperature, but without the occasional unwanted side effects like these that a refrigerated egg might provide.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

The heat shock can have undesirable effects - the shell for hard boiled, the yolk for fried - for example

Heat shock?  So from going from 5° to 100°+ in a split second (when frying an egg) makes a huge difference from going from 18° to 100°+ in a split second?  Of course it affects the egg when you drop it into a hot pan - it cooks the bugger!

Also for fried eggs - you can perfectly safely fry an egg with a soft yolk if it's from room temperature; but if it comes straight from the fridge then there's a danger of it being undercooked.

Opposite way round.  You cook from refrigerated, you know how long to cook the egg for (fried, boiled, whatever), whereas from room temperature you might need to adjust the cooking time accordingly as the temperature could differ by 10°.  I don't bother with the yolks anyway, so doesn't really affect me anyway.

You get consistency when cooking from room temperature, but without the occasional unwanted side effects like these that a refrigerated egg might provide.

No, you get the opposite - DUCY?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »

Opposite way round.  You cook from refrigerated, you know how long to cook the egg for (fried, boiled, whatever), whereas from room temperature you might need to adjust the cooking time accordingly as the temperature could differ by 10°.  I don't bother with the yolks anyway, so doesn't really affect me anyway.

You don't want to burn the white do you? If you cook a fried egg from room temperature you can cook the yolk soft boiled - if you do it from the fridge then by the time the yolk is cooked to a safe enough level then the white will be overcooked.

And it's a lot easier to work out cooking times from room temperature rather than from fridge temperature - but I guess that could just be down to more practice at it.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »

I don't bother with the yolks anyway, so doesn't really affect me anyway.

which you should've mentioned before as it's the only real justification for refrigerating eggs, it's easier to separate yolk from white when cold

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »

which you should've mentioned before as it's the only real justification for refrigerating eggs, it's easier to separate yolk from white when cold

Don't start trying to debate this.  I put FACT at the end of my post, remember.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »

I refridgerate eggs because I have absolutely loads of them and my fridge a massive.

Is 'the fridge being a convenient place to keep them' suitable justification?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »

I refridgerate eggs because I have absolutely loads of them and my fridge a massive.

That's why I keep them there so it must be Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »

with the amount you get through I'm seriously worried about the amount of beer space that's being sacrificed. at least people who only eat a few are probs only using those egg holders that manufacturers inexplicably put in the door shelves

keep eggs somewhere else and use the fridge for beer and wine imo

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »

Interesting you mention the egg-holders in the fridge doors.  Probably the worst place to keep them, as they are then subject to temperature changes that can accelerate the 'going off'.  Best to have them towards the back of the fridge where the temperature remains more constant.

As for beer and wine - have two fridges ldo.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »

Interesting you mention the egg-holders in the fridge doors.  Probably the worst place to keep them, as they are then subject to temperature changes that can accelerate the 'going off'.  Best to have them towards the back of the fridge where the temperature remains more constant.

The same for milk. Should never be in the door. (Though TBF, I learnt that from an episode of House)

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 74 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: