blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 06:35:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272941 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Laxie Goes Primetime
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie Goes Primetime  (Read 146005 times)
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: February 20, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »

To be fair, it was a step up from the week before when we found nothing after searching for ages...

Click to see full-size image.

At the time, we were clueless and cacheless

We discovered the problem when we returned home and read the log for that particular cache.  It had gone missing some months earlier.  Doh!  First lesson learned.

rofl! i love caching Smiley i have one in leeds city centre that gets loads of visitors, its a right pain to keep log book in there tho
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 20, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

To be fair, it was a step up from the week before when we found nothing after searching for ages...

At the time, we were clueless and cacheless

We discovered the problem when we returned home and read the log for that particular cache.  It had gone missing some months earlier.  Doh!  First lesson learned.

rofl! i love caching Smiley i have one in leeds city centre that gets loads of visitors, its a right pain to keep log book in there tho

We're thinking of making a series of our own around here for other people to find once we finish this race to 100.  Any tips you have for us would be HUGELY appreciated!

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: February 20, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »

After giving the other couple plenty of time to get ahead, 6 miles and 12 cache finds later, our day was done.  We still made it home in time for the rugby kick off too.  Results all around. 

We'll be going out a few times this week.  Mapping for those trips starts tonight.  I've no idea what's planned as I leave it up to Jack.  He likes his walking, so will probably include lots of it.  My only request is to make sure there are plenty of caches along the way to keep me motivated. 

I like rambling and enjoying the sights around me, but I'm not a big fan of walking just for the sake of it.  Not the way he and Whelley do it anyway.  The pair of them go hell for leather in their want to keep fit.  There's barely time to catch yer breath on those walks, never mind enjoy the sights.  This geocache stuff suits me perfect.  Walking and hopefully getting a bit fitter, with the added bonus of being able to look around now and then. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: February 20, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »

We had a few series of caches around North Leeds Harewood house it took us AGES! to think of the idea's and make them special.

First thing we did was place them in a area where its safe to park/walk where we enjoy visiting.

Make sure there are no other caches really close, there is a rule on the geocaching.com website about the exact distance.

Make sure no one could possibly think its something dodgy! i.e. last year Wetherby had a police alert when a cacher was trying to open a small box under a bench in the town centre! Boxes are fine just not in built up areas.

Make sure you don't need permission to place them. Landowner, council, park make sure its all OK for you to put them there.

Try make it different or fun, this may involve a series with a bonus cache at the end. We had a 3 cache series that had coords to the final cache along with a 4 digit number that opened a locked box in it. You had to do the series to open the lockbox.

Make sure you triple check the coords you give for the cache, if they aint right people get mad real quick.

Make sure the cache is waterproof. Else you spend all your spare time replacing logs.
Our fav. cache is at the famous cow and carf Ilkley where you found the initial cache and were given a rope with hook attached and you had to lower it down to hook a box 40ft off the cliff Tongue

Hope you can come up with some funky idea's. If you ever venture up north,  Yorkshire has a huge number of caches, the south Yorkshire massive are very active

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a29eadb6-4bd0-4593-be98-f9c2132c4100
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:33:05 PM by Acidmouse » Logged
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 20, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »

There seem to be lots of horses in our travels.  These are from last week's walk...

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 20, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »

Hoped we'd get to see a train coming through for Tikay, but wrong time of day...

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:23 PM »

Nice pics again Dawn. Those ponies seem like a good a hardy bunch, but the last one looks a bit old judging by his teeth.

Burgeoning tiddies and long in the tooth eh? I've got my eye on you mister!

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »

Nice pics again Dawn. Those ponies seem like a good a hardy bunch, but the last one looks a bit old judging by his teeth.

Burgeoning tiddies and long in the tooth eh? I've got my eye on you mister!

The older I get, the better I was.
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: February 20, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »

We weren't on the golf course for long.  Most of this series is set along both sides of a canal.  I didn't dare take the camera out on the one side as it was a mud bath of a walk.  But on the other side, it was a lovely stroll...

FYP

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »

After giving the other couple plenty of time to get ahead, 6 miles and 12 cache finds later, our day was done.  We still made it home in time for the rugby kick off too.  Results all around. 

We'll be going out a few times this week.  Mapping for those trips starts tonight.  I've no idea what's planned as I leave it up to Jack.  He likes his walking, so will probably include lots of it.  My only request is to make sure there are plenty of caches along the way to keep me motivated. 

I like rambling and enjoying the sights around me, but I'm not a big fan of walking just for the sake of it.  Not the way he and Whelley do it anyway.  The pair of them go hell for leather in their want to keep fit.  There's barely time to catch yer breath on those walks, never mind enjoy the sights.  This geocache stuff suits me perfect.  Walking and hopefully getting a bit fitter, with the added bonus of being able to look around now and then. 

...and Tigers had a great, last minute win too!!!

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:20 PM »

Our fav. cache is at the famous cow and carf Ilkley where you found the initial cache and were given a rope with hook attached and you had to lower it down to hook a box 40ft off the cliff Tongue

I stood on top of the Cow & Calf a couple of years ago when my sister and I did the Ebor Way walk. I'm gonna say I've done that one and hope Sir Percival doesn't notice Smiley

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 21, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »

A tip I got for when out in the hills that might help with the 'we know it's here but can't find it' is "when you're struggling to make a decision/decide on which direction to go - stop, have a brew, then think about it again". It came from an ex army guy (a sergeant I think) and while I scoffed a bit, it works. Instead of putting pressure on yourself over what could be a big decision (directions etc when miles out in the countryside), you get out of that frame of mind, do something mundane & let the mind mull it over in the background - helping reach a better decision. Geo can probably explain this better than I can.

I now carry an army 'Crusader Cookset' which is a water bottle, extra cup, pan/cup & cooker that all slot together into a small package. For fuel you can use hexamine/esbit tablets (not very eco & smelly) 'greenheat' gel (eco but shit) or I made a small meths stove which carries enough fuel to boil a pint of water & fits into the set. It's also good to be able to give someone a hot drink if they're getting chilled.

Might not suit your caching expeditions, but it's a thought.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 21, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »

We weren't on the golf course for long.  Most of this series is set along both sides of a canal.  I didn't dare take the camera out on the one side as it was a mud bath of a walk.  But on the other side, it was a lovely stroll...

FYP

FYP?!     Spot the difference folks.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 21, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »

That's not a bad idea at all Rod.  We've got something to do the job too.  Just need to track down where I put it after his coast to coast walk. 

The one downside to all the DIY - I've tidied things up so much, we've a search and seize session about every two weeks trying to figure out where I put them.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 21, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

We weren't on the golf course for long.  Most of this series is set along both sides of a canal.  I didn't dare take the camera out on the one side as it was a mud bath of a walk.  But on the other side, it was a lovely stroll...

FYP

FYP?!     Spot the difference folks.

Monkeys arse 

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 74 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: