blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273126 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Tottenham riots
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tottenham riots  (Read 55630 times)
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »

Have the police got any clue at all about the kind of people they are dealing with here?  Calling for parents to call their children and warning that if they get arrested they may get a criminal record and that may affect their ability to get a job in the future.  Kids that listen to their parents and are worried about their future careers don't riot and loot FFS.

MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2011, 11:00:24 AM »

02:20  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456061
We police by consent, we won't be bringing the army in. Another night of this and she'll be out of a job imo.

Theresa May = utterly clueless, always has been, always will be.
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2011, 11:02:22 AM »

What does "We police by consent" mean? Just involving community leaders? Do they think that's going to work?

It's slightly confusing terminology, but they use it a lot at times like this. What they're saying is that when you don't have what happened last night, it's not because people fear immediate action by the police and therefore don't do it; it's because they value the law and order which the police are there to protect.
Therefore you just don't have that many police around to protect from that sort of thing (3000 riot-trained police in London, lol).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:03:53 AM by ManuelsMum » Logged

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »

holy crap.

What do you reckon, 6 months probation for those scoundrels?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »

What does "We police by consent" mean? Just involving community leaders? Do they think that's going to work?

It's slightly confusing terminology, but they use it a lot at times like this. What they're saying is that when you don't have what happened last night, it's not because people fear immediate action by the police and therefore don't do it; it's because they value the law and order which the police are there to protect.
Therefore you just don't have that many police around to protect from that sort of thing (3000 riot-trained police in London, lol).

Ah yes, that'll work.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »

BTW, funny how no paper has reported that most, if not all, these kids are English.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:08:56 AM by boldie » Logged

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »

ITV should have emergency episodes of X-Factor to broadcast in times of crisis to entice the yoot back indoors.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »

ITV should have emergency episodes of X-Factor to broadcast in times of crisis to entice the yoot back indoors.

I blame Cheryl Lloyd...cus they're all swaggering like Jagger.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

It is massively reassuring to hear our PM at this time.  Very happy he came back off his holidays to deliver that message.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »

BTW, funny how no paper has reported that most, if not all, these kids are English.

They are in London, WTF were you expecting? Japanese?  Roll Eyes
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:31 AM »

Muslims or Gypsies...they seem to be causing all the trouble if recent reports are anything to go by

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »

Muslims or Gypsies...they seem to be causing all the trouble if recent reports are anything to go by

They might well be but they are still English no?  

And as we live in England/UK why would they ever need to specify that?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:17:44 AM by Woodsey » Logged
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2011, 11:18:15 AM »

I blame Cheryl Lloyd...cus they're all swaggering like Jagger.

Back in 81, Ghost Town by The Specials was an apposite song to have at Number 1 as British cities burned.

Swagger Jagger doesn't really cut it, does it?

Might start a Facebook campaign to get The Clash to number 1 next week.
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »

Could be Dutch Kids sent over to cause mayhem in order to get the Football cancelled (afraid of losing)  Wink

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »

Ah yes, that'll work.

It remains the best long-term option. You send the army in [ ] suddenly everything will calm down.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: