blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:22:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  blonde NFL Fantasy League 2019/20
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 ... 383 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde NFL Fantasy League 2019/20  (Read 618197 times)
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: December 16, 2015, 03:21:17 PM »

i simply love my dynasty roster for next year IF i draft well

have 14 picks, 1.1, 1.5 and 1.7-1.10 for starters and think i got fantastic value for some players (Lacy for a 1,3,4 for example) maybe not so for all of them

have building blocks like Winston, Gurley and Lockett who are going to be fantasy monsters for years

2016 draft doesn't look too strong in the offensive skill positions but i have a "big board" of 40 names ready to watch through to the draft and hopefully be very competitive next year. with 14 picks my aim is to know those 2,3,4 round picks much better than everyone else. in theory.

I think you have to win the consolation playoffs to actually attain the #1 pick for next year now.  

Don't get too chirpy about your team or me and rich might have to tank our team off and slide into 1.6 and 2.6 Wink Cheesy
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: December 16, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »

i simply love my dynasty roster for next year IF i draft well

have 14 picks, 1.1, 1.5 and 1.7-1.10 for starters and think i got fantastic value for some players (Lacy for a 1,3,4 for example) maybe not so for all of them

have building blocks like Winston, Gurley and Lockett who are going to be fantasy monsters for years

2016 draft doesn't look too strong in the offensive skill positions but i have a "big board" of 40 names ready to watch through to the draft and hopefully be very competitive next year. with 14 picks my aim is to know those 2,3,4 round picks much better than everyone else. in theory.

I think you have to win the consolation playoffs to actually attain the #1 pick for next year now.  

Don't get too chirpy about your team or me and rich might have to tank our team off and slide into 1.6 and 2.6 Wink Cheesy

You know it makes sense Dave thumbs up

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: December 16, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »

i assumed that as i had the worst record, i would get pick 1 next year. not as simple as that?

knowing me, it won't be ;-)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: December 16, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »

i assumed that as i had the worst record, i would get pick 1 next year. not as simple as that?

knowing me, it won't be ;-)

I was trying to explain it to you at the time Rich when we were trade talking. Taking 1st round picks from players that are likely to have a good season means you are likely getting pick 1.7 to 1.10 next year as the top 4 will get the last 4 picks. If you trade with a team that doesn't make the play offs but then wins the consolation group you get their pick, so winning the consolation gets you pick 1.1.

So for example Brent's pick 1,3 and 4 looks like being pick 1.7 to 1.10 3.7 to 3.10 and 4.7 to 4.10 at best.  At the time you were trading with good teams for picks that were likely to be back end of each round. It would have been better to trade with teams that might be struggling a little or running bad and getting early round picks in each round from their consolation comp finishing position. As it happens the best team in Div 1 ran terribly and are in the consolation group so that has worked in your favour.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:45:16 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: December 16, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »

yes i got all that

but my team is not even in a consolation play off. 8 of the 10 teams have fixtures this weekend, 2 of us don't

logically my team has to pick 1.1?

the whole way NFL drafts work is to give the worst teams the first picks in each round to achieve a competitive balance
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:51:02 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: December 16, 2015, 03:54:57 PM »

I'm assuming the bottom 2 teams get a bye and will play the two winners from this weeks consolation events. Tal won the consolation event last year to get the no1 pick, so if you had traded a first round pick with him last year you would get pick 1.1. Rich and Dave won the league(i'm not bitter, forgotten all about it etc) and got pick 1.10 which you would get if you traded for their 1st round pick.

That might be wrong btw, Im just guessing about the bye.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:58:04 PM by bobby1 » Logged

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: December 16, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »

I'm assuming the bottom 2 teams get a bye and will play the two winners from this weeks consolation events. Tal won the consolation event last year to get the no1 pick, so if you had traded a first round pick with him last year you would get pick 1.1. Rich and Dave won the league(i'm not bitter, forgotten all about it etc) and got pick 1.10 which you would get if you traded for their 1st round pick.

ok thanks

in my case then, a little knowledge and a lot of mistaken supposition!

My eyes are open wide
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: December 16, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »

ok thanks

I'm not certain re the byes btw, think Curtis wanted a system that keeps people trying to win right to the end of the season. Tal will know what the format was as he won the consolation.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »

ok thanks

I'm not certain re the byes btw, think Curtis wanted a system that keeps people trying to win right to the end of the season. Tal will know what the format was as he won the consolation.

looking at it, i think week 16 you will play in a 9th/10th playoff game, so i'm guessing the winner of that game will get the 1st overall pick, and the loser the 2nd.  
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: December 16, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »

Did you mean 9th and 10th play 1 match that week for the number 1 pick Dave or they will have a game in week 16 but there will be another game too featuring the winners of the two consolation matches this week?

If 9th and 10th played each other in week 16 for the number 1 pick then it is better to finish 9th in the league than 8th and the guys that finished 5th to 8th in the league couldn't get the number 1 pick but are in the consolation heat.

We probably need Curtis to clarify it.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: December 16, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »

I did a find.

OK, rosters are now set up and the only manager still to accept their invitation is LINUX, so his team is still assigned to me at the moment.

Some teams had players on IR at the season's end so their rosters currently exceed the 30 player max as a result (as all IR slots are empty for the new season).  I've therefore taken a view as to who I'd expect you to drop, as outlined below so that the rosters are all valid.  Please let me know if you want to do something different and I'll amend the roster accordingly.  I've also included my team for completeness, as I was on of them.

Sheriff:
Retained From IR: Victor Cruz, Lorenzo Taliaferro
Dropped From Main Roster: Mark Sanchez, Jimmy Clausen
Dropped From IR List: Miles Austin

Sharplea:
Retained From IR: Sam Bradford, Tyler Eifert
Dropped From Main Roster: Shaun Suisham (NB: Only one drop needed as only 29 players rostered)

Tighty:
Retained From IR: Brandin Cooks, Nick Foles
Dropped From Main Roster: Niles Paul, Dwayne Harris
Dropped From IR List: Antone Smith

Tal:
Retained From IR: Montee Ball, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Danny Woodhead, Justin Hunter
Dropped From Main Roster: Ka'Deem Carey, Tim Wright, Joseph Fauria, Kyle Juszczyk

Sicilian:
Dropped From IR List: Dennis Pitta

The only other player I couldn't add is Jonathan Dwyer into Team Moody as he's not on the Yahoo list (he's suspended due to firearms charges, so hardly a loss), but Moody is currently one player short from the B/F list.

So all teams are now populated with their B/F players, and the first task at hand now is for you to figure out who you want to drop to accomodate newly drafted rookies when we start drafting.  For now your teams are at full capacity, so for each player you pick up you're going to have to create a space.  You don't need to actually drop anyone just yet (as you can do this when making the picks) but it's worth starting to think about.

More details on the draft to follow, but you should hopefully all now be able to see your team rosters (all players will be on the bench initially).  Please note that all teams are currently locked from adding or dropping players for the time being, as the normal free agency player pool won't be operational until we've done the draft.

Also, for info, here is the draft order so you can start your prep:

1.01 Tal
1.02 Tighty
1.03 Sicilian
1.04 ForthThistle
1.05 Horneris
1.06 LINUX
1.07 sharplea
1.08 Sheriff
1.09 bobby1
1.10 ChipRich / LeKnave

If anyone is puzzled by this, the first 6 picks are determined by the order of the Consol finish last season as per this note from last year (basically, this was to encourage teams in the Consol to stay competitive in the play-offs), so Tal gets 1st pick for winning the consol then in order of finish down to LINUX who lost the 9th place playoff.  Main play-off teams then fill the last 4 slots in reverse order so our defending champs ChipRich and LeKnave get pick 10.
Link regarding this is here for info: http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=54617.msg1971330#msg1971330 (point 4).

I don't think there were any draft pick trades made at all last year, so the same order exists for all subsequent rounds.  In reality, I doubt people will make more than 5 rounds of picks as it gets increasingly difficult to find players to drop.  However, you're free to negotiate and agree trades from this point forward including draft picks.  Please just let me know if anything involves 2015 picks, as I'll have to keep a log of this offline until we're done drafting.  Within the site, you should see draft picks as tradeable commodities when making trades.  Please note that these are NEXT YEAR'S PICKS.  If you want to propose an offer including any of this years picks then you need to do so in the comments field when making the offer (e.g. "plus I get 2015 2.06").  If trading next year's picks, Yahoo has to have an equal number of picks in the trade offer, so just include the highest round available (e.g. 30th round pick) to achieve this.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:24 AM »

Did you mean 9th and 10th play 1 match that week for the number 1 pick Dave or they will have a game in week 16 but there will be another game too featuring the winners of the two consolation matches this week?

If 9th and 10th played each other in week 16 for the number 1 pick then it is better to finish 9th in the league than 8th and the guys that finished 5th to 8th in the league couldn't get the number 1 pick but are in the consolation heat.

We probably need Curtis to clarify it.

Yeah usually it will be they play the 9th/10th week 16, whilst the 2 winners of this weeks consolation games play the 5th/6th and the losers play the 7th/8th. 

So judging by what Tal found tighty and blacklaws braves with be playing for the 5th/6th picks in the draft?!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: December 17, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »

if that is the case fine, my fault for not reading the regs and of course i benefitted from having the number 2 pick last year

However i firmly believe that in a multi year dynasty league tanking in a given season when you are out of contention is a perfectly acceptable strategy. 'm in several dynasty leagues, and am complete cannon fodder against experienced US players, and the "blow it up and rebuild" strategy is done by some teams every season.

logically the teams that finish 9th and 10th here need the 1 and 2 picks the next season otherwise there is a massive disincentive to take part the following season.

How else is a roster like Blacklaw's braves, which lacks talent, is ageing and didn't get great results in the 2015 draft so has 3 wins all season, meant to overtake the teams finishing 5th-8th if it has to pick behind them in the following draft?

i took the decision when 0-5 to exchange my top end players for picks to accelerate the process of being competitive for 2016 onwards. much like in real life an mlb/nba franchise doing the same.

from that point on i played by the spirit of it and picked my strongest team every week. "tanking by trying", aware i wouldn't win many games but with the (supposed) backstop of a high draft pick to help my rebuild. exactly like the cleveland browns....

i don't see why the worst teams are penalised by having lower draft picks than perfectly respectable rosters, who can perpetuate success relative to the bottom dwellers by drafting ahead of them.

its a bit dispiriting to be frank.

My eyes are open wide
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: December 17, 2015, 06:08:29 PM »

if that is the case fine, my fault for not reading the regs and of course i benefitted from having the number 2 pick last year

However i firmly believe that in a multi year dynasty league tanking in a given season when you are out of contention is a perfectly acceptable strategy. 'm in several dynasty leagues, and am complete cannon fodder against experienced US players, and the "blow it up and rebuild" strategy is done by some teams every season.

logically the teams that finish 9th and 10th here need the 1 and 2 picks the next season otherwise there is a massive disincentive to take part the following season.

How else is a roster like Blacklaw's braves, which lacks talent, is ageing and didn't get great results in the 2015 draft so has 3 wins all season, meant to overtake the teams finishing 5th-8th if it has to pick behind them in the following draft?

i took the decision when 0-5 to exchange my top end players for picks to accelerate the process of being competitive for 2016 onwards. much like in real life an mlb/nba franchise doing the same.

from that point on i played by the spirit of it and picked my strongest team every week. "tanking by trying", aware i wouldn't win many games but with the (supposed) backstop of a high draft pick to help my rebuild. exactly like the cleveland browns....

i don't see why the worst teams are penalised by having lower draft picks than perfectly respectable rosters, who can perpetuate success relative to the bottom dwellers by drafting ahead of them.

its a bit dispiriting to be frank.

The consolation for draft picks is the same as last year tho Rich, the two teams that ended up with picks 5 and 6 last year improved their squads this year by either drafting well or trading.

I think it's a really good system as it is because it means every game counts. Just for example you mentioned the Braves, in week 5 his team played with 2 empty spots and was beaten by 2 points by a team that finished 6-8. With a win in that game the Braves would be a game behind that team and with the h2h. So one more win could have got him into the consolation event and have a chance of the number 1 pick. David mentioned str8 away summat had got in the way and he couldn't update his team which happens and Matty spent a lot of time trading and fielding full teams this season and now gets a chance to get the number 1 pick.

If it was a simple league standing in reverse order draft system then once you are out of contention for the top 4 places teams would be rewarded by not fielding teams and that compromises the whole league. The play off places are going to be decided by which teams end up playing teams that are tanking. In this system you end up with 2 4 team leagues being rewarded

I appreciate you have just misunderstood the draft pick system but last year you parlayed pick number 2(in the same system) into Todd Gurley. Teams that are in 5th to 8th position still have lots to play for in week 15 of the season, that has to be a good thing surely?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:37:41 PM by bobby1 » Logged

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: December 17, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »

yes i understand that. i want my cake and eat it.

i think tanking in a multi year league is a legitimate strategy (not in a redraft league ), thats all, and this ordering of the draft picks gives no legitimacy to a rebuild strategy

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 ... 383 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: